Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Red Winter: The Soviet Attack at Tolvajärvi, Finland – 8-12 December 1939» Forums » General

Subject: Solo play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the look of this game!

I enjoy solo-wargaming and I see that it is marked as high suitability for solo play.

Can anyone provide some more info regarding solo play? i.e. would I be able to play either of the Russian and Finnish sides? How is the tactics / movement of the side I'm not playing calculated?

I guess the main reason for these questions is that I don't want a game where I'm effectively playing both sides while playing solo (if that makes sense).

Any info greatly appreciated !

Cheers,

Rich.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Baker
United States
Ocean Springs
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Games with dragons, spaceships, and bears aren’t wargames. Call them conquest games or strategy games or crap but they aren’t wargames.
mbmbmbmbmb

I beleive its rated for solo based upon there being no cards nor hidden movement. In other words its a traditional hex and counter wargame, except the scale, where you play solo to either learn the game and/or don't have an oppoent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Dodgin
Scotland
Edinburgh
Midlothian
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. That's what I thought, but I wanted a second opinion - ta.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Mageau
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Check out my blog at www.rollingboxcars.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gbaker59 wrote:

I beleive its rated for solo based upon there being no cards nor hidden movement. In other words its a traditional hex and counter wargame, except the scale, where you play solo to either learn the game and/or don't have an oppoent.

Gene and Rich,

You are correct in that the structure of the game is very traditional in the way the game plays, at its core. I would like to point out that besides there being no hidden information (cards or untried units) there is no opportunity fire. This eliminates some of the stress some solo gamers find. However, there is a variant rule IIRC (no rules in front of me) that introduces 'friction fire'. This in essence is OP fire, but it is a variant. Hope that helps.

This game really does lend itself to solo play. Please visit the GMT page for this game as the Designer, Mark, has post some excellent designer diaries that will give a good feel for the game.

Cheers,
Keith
Lead Playtester
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mokszycki
United States
Snohomish
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keith and Gene are correct. Red Winter was not designed as a solitaire game per se, but should be highly suitable for those who wish to play it this way. But yes, you'd be effectively playing both sides.

GMT has rated the game 7 out of 9 for solitaire play. It was explained to me that only those games which were specifically designed as solitaire games normally rate an 8 or 9, and given this explanation, I think their rating of 7 for Red Winter is spot on. It's about as solitaire friendly as you can get for a wargame, without having an "AI" opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Arnaudo
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"My spoon is too big!"
mbmbmbmbmb
oh, wait, how can it be that games specifically designed to be solitaire get only 8 out of 9 in solitaire suitability? shouldn't they get 9 by default? it feels almost like the publisher is saying: well, we made it pretty close to make this one a real solitaire, but you may want to call a friend to play it with...

BTW I am ordering Red Winter, because I LOVE 2-player games where I can play both sides!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.