11 Posts

Tobago» Forums » Rules

Subject: ATVs and lakes? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Hirschman
United States
flag msg tools
I am just learning to play Tobago - looks like a great game. In one thread, it was mentioned in passing that an ATV can be placed in and/or be driven through the lake hexes. Is this correct? If so, this allowance bends reality in a way that is not found in the rest of the game, so I am questioning it. Can an ATV be placed in and/or be driven through a lake?
Thanks.
Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shannon T
Australia
Peakhurst
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. Huts, Palm Trees and Statues may also be placed in the lakes.

Only the ocean is a no go zone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Grady
United Kingdom
Wigan
Lancs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to take the A for All in that ATV quite literally.

Still makes for a fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Grady
United Kingdom
Wigan
Lancs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You need to take the A for All in that ATV quite literally.

Still makes for a fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Howell                (What's Right?) (What's Wrong?)        
United States
Canoga Park
California
flag msg tools
Brought to you by Zik Zak
badge
Brought to you by Zik Zak
mbmbmbmbmb
They are really shallow lakes. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the lakes just represent another terrain type that was necessary for the game mechanics to work. You can do anything in a lake area that you can in beach, forest, river, etc.

rich10 wrote:
If so, this allowance bends reality in a way that is not found in the rest of the game, so I am questioning it.

An ATV driving through a lake bends reality more than giant magical statues that shoot lasers from their eyes to wash ashore powerful amulets from the ocean?

That was a playful tease! Honest! I was only joking!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Binning
United States
Rollinsville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
They are really shallow lakes.

I think of them as marshy, muddy areas. The treasures can be spread out anywhere on the map. They needed enough terrain types to add diversity when hunting.

I don't think of the terrain as anything other than providing more options to hide the treasures. If terrain was a true factor, it would take longer to go through the mountains as well, or you'd perhaps need to go around them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rich10 wrote:
In one thread, it was mentioned in passing that an ATV can be placed in and/or be driven through the lake hexes. Is this correct? If so, this allowance bends reality in a way that is not found in the rest of the game, so I am questioning it. Can an ATV be placed in and/or be driven through a lake?

I understand your initial reluctance to accept the idea, but one look at the clue cards would answer this question. How does a clue that says "in a lake" or "not in a lake" make any sense if you were to assume that the ATVs couldn't travel in there? As someone else said, if anyone I play with questions the idea I just tell them the "lake" is "marsh" and all is well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ATV's are Ducks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DUKW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hirschman
United States
flag msg tools
brokasaphasia wrote:
Yeah, the lakes just represent another terrain type that was necessary for the game mechanics to work. You can do anything in a lake area that you can in beach, forest, river, etc.

rich10 wrote:
If so, this allowance bends reality in a way that is not found in the rest of the game, so I am questioning it.

An ATV driving through a lake bends reality more than giant magical statues that shoot lasers from their eyes to wash ashore powerful amulets from the ocean?

That was a playful tease! Honest! I was only joking!

No problem. Point well taken. I guess what I meant was: that which should be real is real and that which is magic... well that's another story. :-)
Richard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:

Or an Argo: http://www.argoatv.com/

*Edit: Thought I'd also add this link, since this particular amphibious vehicle looks to be based on a Range Rover, which is similar in shape to the ATV's in Tobago.

That's an Amphi-Ranger 2800SR

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphibious_vehicle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.