Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Arkham Horror: Kingsport Horror Expansion» Forums » Rules

Subject: Solo play and expansions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Dart
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing Arkham Horror with 3 to 5 other friends for a while now. Love the game, but someone else owned it.

I recently bought 3 base sets and the 3 expansions, with the intent of playing a few solo games to get a better feel for the game.

Here's my question: Do I "have" to use the expansion boards or can i just use the main board and keep the expansion cards as well (since it would be a pain to seperate them out).

If I can just play with the main board, what happens during Mythos when a Gate is to open, but that board isn't in play? I have been playing that nothing happens. It allows my solo player a chance.

A friend has told me to just draw another gate until one is available on the mainboard.

What is the general concensus?

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Rodger
Scotland
Inverness
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend that you keep drawing until you get one for a location on the main board. Keeps the manic feel of the game going without giving you any time to rest.

Of course you could have some house rule that if you don't get a gate opening in a valid location on 2 draws or something then you do get a bit of a break?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dart
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, but we have found that with fewer players, the game is much more difficult.

Also, if I were to use the 2 extra boards, that would bring my player total to 0. Does this mean I have to play "two" Investigators in my solo game?

I did find in Kingsport that you don't have to play with the extra boards, but there was no ruling on the "drawing a gate to an Other World that isn't available." It might be assumed that I need to remove those gates from the options when just playing with the main board. Makes sense, but that means my Investigator must be suicidal. ha!

Regarding the HUGE stacks of Mythos, Gate, Common, Unique, Ally, and Spell decks. I've read in several places in the forums about "modifying or changing" these. I am currently torn because I want to play with all of the cards.

But then it struck me. In Kingsport, there is a rulin about the Ally's number can't be above 11. It states that after "fixed" Ally's have been given out, the 1st player then removes all but 11 Ally's from the game. Okay. That's awesome. Therefore, after all fixed items and spells have been given out, i have a houserule that states the following:

GAME SETUP
7. Receive Fixed Possessions
8. Shuffle Investigator Decks
8b. 1st player removes all except 11 Ally cards
8c. 1st player removes all except 44 Common Item cards
8d. 1st player removes all except 39 Unique Item cards
8e. 1st player removes all except 40 Spell cards
8f. 1st player removes all except 20 Skill cards
12. Shuffle Ancient One Decks and Gate Markers
12b. 1st player removes all except 67 Mythos Cards*
* Please note that depending on which expansions you are running that you may need to search out the deck for those cards if you want to play with them. Also, you MUST include the "The Story Continues..." card. When the card is drawn, the 1st player shuffle ALL mythos cards together and the first player removes all except the first 67 Mythos cards from the game.
12c. 1st player removes all except 49 Gate Cards**
** Please note that you MUST include the "The Stars are Right" card. When "The Stars are Right" card is drawn, the 1st player must shuffle ALL the gate cards together and then removes all except the first 49 Gate Cards from the game.

Yes, I am ADD with a ton of OCD and look at rules as a way to make sense of things. Thanks for any insight into my musings.

- Mejas
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Simpson
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mejas wrote:
I have been playing Arkham Horror with 3 to 5 other friends for a while now. Love the game, but someone else owned it.

I recently bought 3 base sets and the 3 expansions, with the intent of playing a few solo games to get a better feel for the game.

Here's my question: Do I "have" to use the expansion boards or can i just use the main board and keep the expansion cards as well (since it would be a pain to seperate them out).

If I can just play with the main board, what happens during Mythos when a Gate is to open, but that board isn't in play? I have been playing that nothing happens. It allows my solo player a chance.

A friend has told me to just draw another gate until one is available on the mainboard.

What is the general concensus?

Thanks!


My understanding is that if you want to play the game without the expansion boards you remove the relevant cards that relate to that board
for example..

Innsmouth
Remove the ancient one cards with Innsmouth symbol.Keep the other world cards because the Innsmouth doesnt have other worlds section.

Dunwich
Remove ancient one and other world card with Dunwich symbol. Also remove the Another Time (2) and Lost Carcosa (2)Gate cards.

I assume Kingsport is the same remove relevant ancient one, otherworld and gate cards.

All other decks you can keep as there shouldn't be any more problems. Although you only ever start with 11 random allies.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mejas wrote:
I did find in Kingsport that you don't have to play with the extra boards, but there was no ruling on the "drawing a gate to an Other World that isn't available." It might be assumed that I need to remove those gates from the options when just playing with the main board. Makes sense, but that means my Investigator must be suicidal. ha!

There is no such rule. I play with all my cards all the time no matter what expansion(s) I am playing. The only exception is the Mythos deck. I actually have them separated but there's no reason you just can't ignore Mythos cards that refer to expansion locations and spaces.

Quote:
Regarding the HUGE stacks of Mythos, Gate, Common, Unique, Ally, and Spell decks. I've read in several places in the forums about "modifying or changing" these. I am currently torn because I want to play with all of the cards.

Again lots of folks have pared down their smaller decks to fewer copies of items etc. Some have even gone sooo far as to remove certain cards that make little sense to them.
As to location cards, there's only one I've come across that refers to something not on the main board. Gate cards can all be used if you simply place your expansion boards so that the gate portion is showing. Otherwise just ignore them like you do with Mythos cards.

Quote:
But then it struck me. In Kingsport, there is a rulin about the Ally's number can't be above 11. It states that after "fixed" Ally's have been given out, the 1st player then removes all but 11 Ally's from the game. Okay. That's awesome. Therefore, after all fixed items and spells have been given out, i have a houserule that states the following:

There are 2 rules for dealing with allies. Right now I use all the allies and remove three when 1 is called for. The main reason for the 11 limit is for counting purposes for some of the rumors and Ancient Ones. There are lots of house rules for allies.


Quote:
GAME SETUP
7. Receive Fixed Possessions
8. Shuffle Investigator Decks
8b. 1st player removes all except 11 Ally cards
8c. 1st player removes all except 44 Common Item cards
8d. 1st player removes all except 39 Unique Item cards
8e. 1st player removes all except 40 Spell cards
8f. 1st player removes all except 20 Skill cards
12. Shuffle Ancient One Decks and Gate Markers
12b. 1st player removes all except 67 Mythos Cards*
* Please note that depending on which expansions you are running that you may need to search out the deck for those cards if you want to play with them. Also, you MUST include the "The Story Continues..." card. When the card is drawn, the 1st player shuffle ALL mythos cards together and the first player removes all except the first 67 Mythos cards from the game.
12c. 1st player removes all except 49 Gate Cards**
** Please note that you MUST include the "The Stars are Right" card. When "The Stars are Right" card is drawn, the 1st player must shuffle ALL the gate cards together and then removes all except the first 49 Gate Cards from the game.

Yes, I am ADD with a ton of OCD and look at rules as a way to make sense of things. Thanks for any insight into my musings.

- Mejas

Most of the above is way too much work for me. Nearly everthing can be used without breaking the game except the Mythos cards.

On the other hand, the expansions were playtested with only the base Arkham game, so if you want them to work as advertised with the most theme, then remove any cards that don't fit as you suggest above.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mageith wrote:
Mejas wrote:
I did find in Kingsport that you don't have to play with the extra boards, but there was no ruling on the "drawing a gate to an Other World that isn't available." It might be assumed that I need to remove those gates from the options when just playing with the main board. Makes sense, but that means my Investigator must be suicidal. ha!

There is no such rule. I play with all my cards all the time no matter what expansion(s) I am playing. The only exception is the Mythos deck. I actually have them separated but there's no reason you just can't ignore Mythos cards that refer to expansion locations and spaces.

Quote:
Regarding the HUGE stacks of Mythos, Gate, Common, Unique, Ally, and Spell decks. I've read in several places in the forums about "modifying or changing" these. I am currently torn because I want to play with all of the cards.

Again lots of folks have pared down their smaller decks to fewer copies of items etc. Some have even gone sooo far as to remove certain cards that make little sense to them.
As to location cards, there's only one I've come across that refers to something not on the main board. Gate cards can all be used if you simply place your expansion boards so that the gate portion is showing. Otherwise just ignore them like you do with Mythos cards.

Quote:
But then it struck me. In Kingsport, there is a rulin about the Ally's number can't be above 11. It states that after "fixed" Ally's have been given out, the 1st player then removes all but 11 Ally's from the game. Okay. That's awesome. Therefore, after all fixed items and spells have been given out, i have a houserule that states the following:

There are 2 rules for dealing with allies. Right now I use all the allies and remove three when 1 is called for. The main reason for the 11 limit is for counting purposes for some of the rumors and Ancient Ones. There are lots of house rules for allies.


Quote:
GAME SETUP
7. Receive Fixed Possessions
8. Shuffle Investigator Decks
8b. 1st player removes all except 11 Ally cards
8c. 1st player removes all except 44 Common Item cards
8d. 1st player removes all except 39 Unique Item cards
8e. 1st player removes all except 40 Spell cards
8f. 1st player removes all except 20 Skill cards
12. Shuffle Ancient One Decks and Gate Markers
12b. 1st player removes all except 67 Mythos Cards*
* Please note that depending on which expansions you are running that you may need to search out the deck for those cards if you want to play with them. Also, you MUST include the "The Story Continues..." card. When the card is drawn, the 1st player shuffle ALL mythos cards together and the first player removes all except the first 67 Mythos cards from the game.
12c. 1st player removes all except 49 Gate Cards**
** Please note that you MUST include the "The Stars are Right" card. When "The Stars are Right" card is drawn, the 1st player must shuffle ALL the gate cards together and then removes all except the first 49 Gate Cards from the game.

Yes, I am ADD with a ton of OCD and look at rules as a way to make sense of things. Thanks for any insight into my musings.

- Mejas

Most of the above is way too much work for me. Nearly everthing can be used without breaking the game except the Mythos cards.

On the other hand, the expansions were playtested with only the base Arkham game, so if you want them to work as advertised with the most theme, then remove any cards that don't fit as you suggest above.



listen to this man. he makes a lot of sense.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Dart
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mageith wrote:
Mejas wrote:
I did find in Kingsport that you don't have to play with the extra boards, but there was no ruling on the "drawing a gate to an Other World that isn't available." It might be assumed that I need to remove those gates from the options when just playing with the main board. Makes sense, but that means my Investigator must be suicidal. ha!

There is no such rule. I play with all my cards all the time no matter what expansion(s) I am playing. The only exception is the Mythos deck. I actually have them separated but there's no reason you just can't ignore Mythos cards that refer to expansion locations and spaces.


Okay, you mentioned that you seperate out your Mythos deck. So, how do you use them? Just curious.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mejas wrote:
Okay, you mentioned that you seperate out your Mythos deck. So, how do you use them? Just curious.


I roll dice. I decide which expansion(s) I want to use. My most common would be Dunwich Horror and Curse of Dark Pharaoh. On a 1-2, Basic Arkham, 3-4 CotDP, 5-6 Dunwich. For Dunwich this pretty much simulates the effect of playing only Dunwich (36/103). In addition I get CotDP too at twice the effect as normal. CotDP is my daughter Emily's favorite expansion.

Sometimes I really want to get the effect of Dunwich.
Dunwich Intense: 1-3 Base, 4-6 Dunwich.
Dunwich Extreme: 1-2 Base, 3-6 Dunwich.

I can do this with an expansion or expansions, of course. It makes mixing and matching very easy.

I keep all the Mythos card in a big plastic card box (250 card size) I had leftover from playing MTG and put in dividers.



1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M. Woolsey

Strafford
Missouri
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I've ONLY played Arkham Horror solo (that's why I bought it, after plenty of research here on BGG), and naturally I've adopted my own unique set of special rules by incorporating ideas from BGG posts, the wonderful 'house rules' by designer Richard Launius, and so forth. And I was initially puzzled by how to handle the expansion-specific cards when it came to opening gates, placing monsters, etc.

My solution came from an idea I saw somewhere on The Geek, and that's to keep the Mythos cards from the big-box expansions separate at all times. When I decide to play a game with one of the added boards, I keep that board's Mythos deck next to the one from the base game. When it's time to draw a Mythos card, I roll a die. If it's a one or two, I draw a card from the expansion. Otherwise, I draw one from the (much larger) base game deck.

Ideally, you could find a solution that maintained a perfect ratio between Arkham and expansion board activity, didn't insert an artificial die roll into the action, and kept your Mythos cards all perfectly mixed without all that pesky pre- and post-game sorting. But for me this has been an excellent alternative and kept the gameplay moving sensibly and smoothly. And at best, that die roll can add even more tension to the game when things are completely falling apart in Arkham or one of the towns!

One other note: it sounds like you're using one Investigator when you play. I generally use three in my games, especially if I'm including another board.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Jones
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I've also only played solo and have so far only used 1 or 2 investigators. I'm finding it next to impossible to win a final battle with only one and very difficult with two - especially with the likes of Yig who inflicts an automatic curse. I read today the game designer's house rules for solo players recommend 4 investigators.
I've got a couple of expansions and have yet to use them, but I've found these posts very helpful.
One thing I would say is that the spell deck for one could use a bit of thinning out. I hate drawing the same spell, or magic item, when the one I already have isn't likely to be of much help.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Either use another 1 or 2 investigators.

Or the way we do it is we only have a mythos phase every other turn. But then we treat the game as if there are four investigators for rumors, monster and outskirts limit and anything else that is dependent on the number of invesigators, except the final battle.

It works pretty well. We've lost our last three games in a a row!

Or just give each investigator 2 of each of these phases: movement and both encounters, but not upkeep) before drawing the Mythos. You could do this in a row or alternate.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.