em m
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking to pick up Lost Cities, but I can't decide whether to get the 2 player game or the board game. What are the main differences in terms of game play? How does the board game play with 2 players?

It sounds like the 2 player game and the board game are so similar - why would I want both?

UPDATE

2-player: So I ended up getting the 2 player Kosmos game first in a math trade and really enjoyed it! Portable, fun, fast! Tight, tactical game with only one of each card number and type. I would definitely bring this on trips!

The Board Game (TBG): I recently received TBG version in another math trade, and I'd have to say that it's even better and more intuitive than the original 2 player game! I really appreciate being able to see the accumulated points for each expedition - it's all in front of you on the board. I like the tiles, which provide incentives for focusing on certain paths. As a two player game, it is quite relaxing and easy going. I can see how you can remove the "doubles" and add cards for the handshakes if you wanted to play TBG as the original 2-player Kosmos game. Also, the rules seem easier to learn and execute and the artwork is more my taste (the Kosmos cards are muted and dull IMO), especially the board.

Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions! It turns out, I like both for different reasons! If I had to pick one though, the board game version wins out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Giroir
United States
Mission Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DscGlfr wrote:
The board game is more replayable in my opinion.

The differences between the board game and the card game:

- The board game can be played with two, three, or four players.

- The board game has 2 cards for each number (including zero) and has no handshakes. However, in the two-player game of the board game, 30 cards are removed at random each round.

- The board game has bonus tiles which modify the steps in the path of a journey. The tiles are randomly placed each round, thus no journey is the same. The tiles provide VPs, free moves, and artifacts which players need to collect to avoid negative points at the end of the game.

I dislike the card game, but I enjoy the board game.

Reading the rules of both will provide the most feedback but you can technically play the two player card game with the cards from the board game (using 0-1's as handshakes and removing the proper cards).

I enjoy the board game more and most often play it with 3-4 people. For two players my wife and I trend towards other games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let's Play Two!
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy both the card game and the board game.

The card game sets up and plays more quickly. There is also quite a bit more tension, in my opinion, since there is only one card of each number. It can often be a difficult decision whether to discard a card that you know might help your opponent while trying to free up some room in your hand for cards you need to play later.

The board game is a bit more fiddly to set up with all the tokens and money chips. It also plays slightly more relaxed than the card game since there are 2 cards of every number (though with 2 players you're not sure if the card(s) you need might have been some of the 30 that were removed from the game at the beginning of the round). The decision of whether to discard or hang on to a card doesn't feel quite as critical since the extra cards provide a bit of a buffer.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd probably go with the board game. It plays well with my son and also with new players and the option of playing with 2-4 players makes it more versatile. I'm happy to have both in my collection, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a fan of both. I play the 2 player version more, though; so many good multiplayer games, butthis is one of my favore 2 player games.

The games feel different enough that I think it is worth having both. And "der weg der steine" or however it is spelled - that is a hugely fun little superfast game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
em m
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone for your insight!

I think I may get the board game since Kelsin mentioned I could technically play the 2 card game with it (by substituting a card for the handshake one) - that is a huge bonus. I'm trying to choose between the two games because I need to keep my collection from getting too big.

What are your thoughts on the artwork between the two games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
The card game has better artwork. No competition at all here. The board game is, IMHO, quite ugly, while the card game is very pretty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let's Play Two!
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also prefer the art of the card game, but I like the art of the board game OK too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
micah qs
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The CARDS of the card game are beautiful, while the BOARD of the board game is beautiful. The cards of the board game are quite plain. Not ugly, just plain. I find the board game to be more enjoyable, the physical motion of travelling along paths adds to the theme and makes scoring easier, as well as introducing the minigame of token acquisition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie the Cranky Gamer
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
I think the board game is perfectly lovely, but then I bought Keltis.

(Keltis and its expansion are available in French from www.levalet.com, a Canadian retailer with reasonable shipping rates across North America)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.