Opera» Forums » Variants

Subject: To bring more things to consider in the game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oscar, K.K. Wong
Hong Kong
Central
flag msg tools
I love this game for its theme and the experience it's trying to deliver. But from the comments about the game and personal experience, the difference of benefits for the one choosing a role and those who "plays along" is not significant enough. Sometimes indeed it's more beneficial to stay in a "play along" position esp. the architect. Therefore I suggest the following addition to the Impersario and Achitectto role in the hope of encouraging competition in the budget chart without changing the spirit of the game:

Impersario: The person who picks this role is allowed to buy two pieces of the same composer, and others who plays along are only allowed to purchase from different composers.

Architectto: the person who picks this role is allowed to buy a music hall with "hall 1", i.e. starts an opera hall in a new city; others are only allowed to expand their existing opera houses, unless their existing opera houses have been built to the maximum size.

I also suggest changing the function of the Maestro from "doubling income in a city" to "increasing income in a city by 3, 4 and 5 ducats (or other appropriate numbers) in the respective eras of the game":

(i) doubling income early in the game isn't gonna help much and people would generally use signora and ignore the maestro in the first few turns; and
(ii) doubling income in the latter stages of the game creates a over-sufficiency of cash and people will simply "go 10" on the budget chart every round in Era III of the game since money is worthless at end-game.

These are only very rough idea to explore the potential this great game! Comments are much appreciated.

Edited for typo and omission

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would disagree about Maestro - I am able to get 4+ money from him in the early game and would quite never use Signora.

And generally, I like the game as it is and am not willing to disrupt the balance by tweaking the roles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Degann
United States
Tarzana
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that the existing design is very well balanced. You may be wanting to make it more like Puerto Rico, with benefits for choosing the role. Opera is its own game. Players have to control their budget position - which is a great element in the game. If you don't want to go first, don't bid high. But there are plenty of benefits to being able to choose the role. In the case of the Architetto, you may be able to take the last tile of its type. Plus, the Architetto doesn't neccisarily cost more for the employer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar, K.K. Wong
Hong Kong
Central
flag msg tools
I do agree the original game is rather balanced and that's why I captioned it in the outset as "bringing more things to consider" rather than "fixing up the game".

I can't help but find the experience quite bland when there's not much difference who gets to pick the architect first (well he may take the last of a kind but that's the only edge I could think of, and there are plentiful of big opera houses anyway). Everyone just pays two bucks and get two points for each "space" in an opera house piece they acquire.

The same "blandness" goes for the Maestro which is virtually pointless to use in the last couple of turns since everyone will be sufficient with money by then and money can't turn into points at end-game. It makes the budget system the sole focus of the game. That is a nice system, but then I don't feel hard-pressed when making my decisions in-game.

Nothing is broken in this game, and I'm not trying to add a "Puerto Rico flavor" in it. I'm just inviting ideas that can be put into a game with a theme which I happen to like, a lot. What I could see is that there are definitely room to elaborate the game to achieve a better experience. Balance is of course an issue to tackle, but it's not a strong ground for objecting new ideas.

Just my 2 cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.