Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday, my husband and I had a 5-hour flight from D.C. to Phoenix. Five hours is a pretty long time, so as usual, we brought a game to play. (Sidenote: He was in the middle seat and I had an aisle seat.)

We played four games of Jambo in the first couple hours. In the middle of our games, the woman in the aisle seat across from me started asking about the game: What it was called, if it was fun, where she could buy it. I told her it was called "Jambo" and tried to explain what it was like (to little avail--she hadn't heard of Settlers of Catan, either). After we'd talked about it, I pulled out an index card and wrote:

Game: JAMBO

For more information, go to www.boardgamegeek.com (it's like IMDB or Wikipedia, but for board games)

Who knows if she'll look into it, but I passed along the info.

After our games of Jambo, I dug into my rolling carry-on luggage and pulled out the CCG box that contained Dominion(and Dominion: Intrigue).

Played three great games of Dominion, and then packed up and waited for landing. After the plane landed, while we were all waiting to get off the plane, a woman behind us started asking about the game we had been playing. It wasn't clear whether she'd seen Jambo or Dominion, so I told her about both (she'd even heard of Dominion!), and then she asked where she could buy it. We had to disembark soon after, so as my husband and I were walking up the jetway, I wrote just the following on another index card:

Jambo
Dominion
www.boardgamegeek.com

I handed it to her as we entered the airport. She thanked us, and then we were on our way home!

Good night for gaming, and a great night for passing along info on a couple of my favorite games. I think I need to start printing business cards with BGG's website on them, and leave a blank space to write in the name of the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We carry Treehouse when we travel, and it inevitably draws questions. Referring people to BGG is par for the course.

Great idea comparing it to the IMDB!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GREAT!
Next time you go on a plane, how about bringing HEROSCAPE, and spreading the love...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jtspecial wrote:
GREAT!
Next time you go on a plane, how about bringing HEROSCAPE, and spreading the love...

I have seriously considered this idea--I mean, just a few 7- and 3- hex pieces, a couple of pre-drafted 250 pt armies, 8 or 10 dice to share...you could probably fit that on 2 tray tables.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:

I saw that idea somewhere else on BGG...if I could remember where, I'd credit the person. Excellent analogy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher DeFrisco
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ah, negative. I am a meat popsicle.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job!

Spreading the BGG virus is something I try to do often, but having a business card is a wonderful idea.

Last night was my monthly game night at our local library. I've pulled many people into the fold. I counted over 60 people last night. Many of whom have gone on to buy games like Dominion and Jambo!

Part of my obsession is to carry a business card with the library game night info and my e-mail address. Including the BGG URL and some blank lines on the back is a fantastic idea and I will be printing a new set today!

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I had more gamer friends to do this with (my wife doesn't game), but I really think that whether we play wargames, Euros, "Ameritrash" (I hate that name), or whatever, we could all do the boardgame hobby a service by playing in public more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manutd03 wrote:
tommynomad wrote:

I saw that idea somewhere else on BGG...if I could remember where, I'd credit the person. Excellent analogy.

I used to compare it with IMDB, until I discovered that 99% of the people I talked with didn't know what IMDB was! So now I say, do you know IMDB? - Yes - Well it's like that, but for games. - No - Well it's a huge online collection of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
manutd03 wrote:
tommynomad wrote:

I used to compare it with IMDB, until I discovered that 99% of the people I talked with didn't know what IMDB was! So now I say, do you know IMDB? - Yes - Well it's like that, but for games. - No - Well it's a huge online collection of games.

That was why I wrote "Wikipedia" after "IMDB"--I thought, "If she doesn't know what IMDB is, this will only add to her confusion."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Robert
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flying coach,..Phah ! When I take a plane, I only take business class so we can play Arkham Horror.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Not to be Captain Bringdown but I suspect that any game-neophyte hitting this site for the first time based on a recommendation is more likely to flee in terror at the sheer tidal wave of links and images and info than to start digging around to find out what this "board game" thing is all about.

Don't get me wrong, this is one of my favorite sites to visit but as far as usability and clarity go, this site is the 1970s Avalon Hill rules-book of web sites.

Maybe BGG needs a "gateway" version to ease people into the hobby...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
IMDB, but with usable forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher DeFrisco
United States
Ashland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Ah, negative. I am a meat popsicle.
mbmbmbmbmb
I completely agree.
This idea has been brought up before, but I suspect the pain-to-gain ratio for the BGG builders is too high. But having the data so readily open... perhaps there is a talented Web developer out there with some extra time?!

kakupacal wrote:
Not to be Captain Bringdown but I suspect that any game-neophyte hitting this site for the first time based on a recommendation is more likely to flee in terror at the sheer tidal wave of links and images and info than to start digging around to find out what this "board game" thing is all about.

Don't get me wrong, this is one of my favorite sites to visit but as far as usability and clarity go, this site is the 1970s Avalon Hill rules-book of web sites.

Maybe BGG needs a "gateway" version to ease people into the hobby...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.