Dimitris Dranidis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This might sound a bit strange but the following issue was discussed in our last TI3 (base) game.

Ground Forces appear on planets either as a result of planetary landing or a production.

According to the rules:

Planetary landings
After any Space Battles are completed, the active player may now commence Planetary Landings by landing Ground Force and PDS units from his Carriers onto planets in the activated system. If a system contains multiple planets, the active player may split any landing forces between them in any way he sees fit, but may not change his mind once the Invasion Combat step begins.

Space Dock rules (page 26)
Ground Force and PDS units are always built and placed on the planet containing the Space Dock. Ground Force and PDS units cannot move to another planet (including other planets in the same system) unless transported by a Carrier or War Sun.

So it is quite clear that Ground Forces can only be moved with a help of a Carrier (or War Sun). The question is how?

(a) Activate the system with the two planets, pick up Ground Forces from the two planets with the existing Carrier (without moving it) and split the landing forces between the two planets.

(b) Activate the system with the two planets, pick up Ground Forces from the two planets with the existing Carrier, move out of the system and come back (only possible if you have the Technology and there is a friendly adjacent system) and split the landing forces between the two planets.

The (a) option sounds more logical, but is it allowed to move a unit 0 distance?

Thanks for your feedback!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ddmits wrote:
The (a) option sounds more logical, but is it allowed to move a unit 0 distance?

Sure. Why not?

I don't think it's even unusual to activate a system and then collect forces there including ones that started there. Suppose you start your turn with a fleet at Mecatol Rex and some troops on board, while another player controls the planet. Would anyone seriously argue that you can't activate the system, and invade with those troops (as well as additional forces moving from elsewhere, if you like)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sander Spenkelink
Netherlands
Almelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mb
I think just for gameplay sakes without considering the rules you should be able to take both planets at once.

For roleplaying players its hard to just blimp ground forces from one planet to the other. So thats why we had this discussion as well when we played it for the first time.

The way we interpretate the rules after some debate is that you can take over any planets in a system if you have enough groundforces whenever you activated the system.

If you would concider playing it like roleplaying it would drastically slow down the game.

So option. A:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Shaw
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, we had this question in my fist game the other night. I guessed that the only way to move between two planets in the same system was to have a carrier/war sun land in that system. I suppose I was right, but I wondered if there was an easier way.

Thanks for getting this cleared up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Weilong Seow
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sander2608 wrote:
I think just for gameplay sakes without considering the rules you should be able to take both planets at once.

For roleplaying players its hard to just blimp ground forces from one planet to the other. So thats why we had this discussion as well when we played it for the first time.

The way we interpretate the rules after some debate is that you can take over any planets in a system if you have enough groundforces whenever you activated the system.

If you would concider playing it like roleplaying it would drastically slow down the game.

So option. A:

Don't really see how the rules conflict with your roleplaying actually. It states that you must split your forces before the invasion phase. Thematically, that means your carrier unloads some ground forces onto one planet before travelling to the other planet to unload remaining ground forces. That's why ground forces have to be allocated before the invasion phase, to simulate splitting them into separate invasion parties for the different planets. And the distance between planets is much shorter than the distance between solar systems so I don't see a problem with a carrier doing that in a short period of time. Don't see the blimping of ground forces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.