Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
41 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: What simple 2-player only game DO YOU USE to follow up Lost Cities? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Miller
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Working through the night Jeff fixed the broken link. After being fixed the broken link became Jeff's BGG profile.
mbmbmbmbmb
As the title implies... What simple 2-player only game do you use to follow up Lost Cities?

For those interested, a little more detail on why I'm asking:

I ask for my sister-in-law. She's a really good sport about gaming and will usually try almost anything. She's played a variety of games from Lost Cities on up to a game of Puerto Rico I believe at one point in time. In between there has been Bohnanza, Sleuth, Carcassonne, Dominion, Small World, Samurai, and even Galaxy Trucker among several others. While she almost never complains and enjoys them all to some extent, she's very clear that the lighter games are her favorite: Lost Cities still being #1.

Now I'd love to get her and my brother something they'll both really like. I'd like to get something that's, but by no means needs to be, on the lighter side, specifically two-player, small box (less intimidating, that way...), and preferably fun looking (Think Bohnanza not all drab like let's say Dominion or San Juan). And after much mulling over of different possibilities: Jambo, Balloon Cup, Medici vs Strozzi, to name only a few, I'm always left second guessing myself.

So I'd like to learn from some of my fellow geeks experience. I don't need a list of what's out there... just what your "go-to" follow up to Lost Cities is and how well it works for you, in your situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Sanderson
Bermuda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Odin's Ravens is a good one. Good theme, well produced components, fun interaction, nothing too complicated.

Through the Desert is great too. It's a deep game camouflaged as a light one, and is enjoyable for those just wanting a light game. Very simple rules (place camels of the same colour next to each other), colourful little components...

Jambo - perhaps not. It's not the deepest of games, but if she appreciates very simple rules then the cards in Jambo could be a turnoff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Buss
United States
Muncie
Indiana
flag msg tools
"It seems, that is, I may have become, quite by accident, the chosen, what what?"
badge
“Here is my secret. It's quite simple: One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes.” ― Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, Petit Prince
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I are always on the search for a good two player game. With 2 young kids, the setup can't be too intense and it needs to be able to be interrupted and returned too easily. Add to that, I enjoy more strategy, and my wife likes lighter with some element of luck.

So while we love the card version of Ticket to Ride, it just can't be interrupted or you lose your place. We also like Starship Catan but the setup can be a little much for our limited time between the last one going to sleep and the first wake up of the night.

So, right now, for light and quick, we often pull out Pecking Order or Fluxx or Oceania.

I also just picked up a copy of Ingenious... May become a new favorite...

(Currently loved but shelved at our house include: Gipf, Zertz, Catan Card Game, Agricola, Purto Rico, Power Grid, and Carcassonne)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Leung
United States
Half Moon Bay
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a direct followup to Lost Cities, we found Battle Line to work really well. It takes a similar approach, but really ratchets up the tension. The downside is that the art is not as fun looking, but the gameplay well overcomes that.

Jambo also fits as a nice, light, colorful two player game that we've enjoyed. Many of our friends have enjoyed San Juan despite the drab looking art, so don't discount that. Race for the Galaxy is a natural followup to that and it's now our light two player game of choice now. Depending upon their tolerance for time, Catan Card Game might be okay too, although it is significantly longer than the other options (although not necessarily more complex).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ErikPeter Walker
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/145148/
badge
Expand
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try Othello. It's very girly, and two-player, but not a small box.

I'd second a vote for Odin's Ravens and maybe suggest Fjords if you think she wants something meatier but still approachable... From the sound of it she maybe doesn't.

Also try Cities. It plays identically with 2-4, is very quick to learn and play, comes in a small box, has a nice theme and warm, colorful components, and is a fantastic gateway to more complex games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Collins
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hera and Zeus is a great one, too, that has low setup and easy gameplay, yet lots of fun. We can usually get in 2-3 games while Molly takes a nap...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kan D
France
Troyes
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll recommand Jaipur.
Even if it's a new game that I only played a few times, it went very well with my mother. I introduced her with Lost cities three months ago and she liked it.
She seemed to like Jaipur more than Lost Cities, she even asked for an other game after we just did one (and that is a very very good sign!).
Game is light and fun, rules are easy to learn.

I only have one example like this because I just bought the game a week ago, but I feel this is a game your sister-in-law could like regarding your explanations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Jackson
United States
La Center
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife & I love Lost Cities

As a follow-up we would highly recommend Jaipur. It's fun & simple but with interesting choices to make & a sense of tension as you both work to get the most points.

Another 2 player game that is a little more complex but we enjoy is: Day & Night. Once you get the hang of the cards there is great strategy in trying to outwit the other.

Other 2 Player Games we enjoy that are on the lighter side:
10 Days in Africa & others in the series
Ra: The Dice Game is an excellent lite dice game
Tobago is more involved but fun
UNO Flash fun, fast paced, & simple
Xēko Mission: Madagascar fun, pattern building card game for 2
Yahtzee Free for All fun version of Yahtzee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Miller
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Working through the night Jeff fixed the broken link. After being fixed the broken link became Jeff's BGG profile.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the good input so far. I enjoy learning more about what works well for others.

Of the one's already mentioned, I've given a much harder look at Odin's Ravens. Looks like it might be good, although I'll need to keep a close eye on the marketplace if I want to grab it. Doesn't sound like there's a bunch of people screaming for a reprint.

I have a few of the other games mentioned, San Juan, Race for the Galaxy, Battle Line, and Pecking Order. San Juan is one she's tried before and I don't remember her acting one way or the other over it. Coincidentally, Battle Line and Pecking Order are two I originally picked up to play with my wife and failed with miserably (she's not into one-on-one confrontation). But my wife and sister-in-law and two different beasts so I'll probably give her a chance at them sometime.

Just for general info, I was trying to think of the games she's reacted to the most positively: Bohnanza and, of course, Lost Cities are the two I can remember actually requesting repeat plays; Sleuth and Hollywood Blockbuster are a couple I know she would jump at the chance to play almost anytime; and finally (this one totally threw me for a loop), Samurai, which I found out later her and my brother actually sought out buying after playing one of my friends copies once! (Which they never found at the one ultra-nerd Minitures and Magic shop they went to. Though I understand she had plenty of people willing to help .) Maybe she's a total Knizia nut and doesn't know it?

Anyways, Thanks again and I look forward to reading others experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Converse
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Ra. My wife and I play it frequently: there is enough skill to be interesting, enough luck so that neither of us can dominate (I am the more serious gamer of the two of us). Also, it has the advantage of being a great 3- or 4-player game as well(I presume 5 as well, but we've never played with that many). The rules are simple to learn. Really, just a top-notch game. Simple enough for non-gamers. Deep enough for a great deal of repeat play. We still like it after 30+ plays...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Miller
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kan_d wrote:
I'll recommand Jaipur.

The first time I saw this game I thought of it for her. I'm happy to hear it went over so well with your mom!

I'm always hesitant and a touch critical of whatever the hot new game is, but this is one I'll definitely be keeping an eye on as the dust settles surrounding its release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Miller
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
philosoph0123 wrote:
I would recommend Ra.

Not a bad thought, it's one of my personal favorites!

The problem with that one is I'd really like it to shine at it's brightest with just two people. That's what initially drew me to Medici vs Strozzi. It's an auction game, like RA, but built for two people only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to get torched for this but have you considered 'killer bunnies' I only say this as it does seem to appeal to the fairer sex, specifically as a super light game.

I wouldn't have played this in a million years (mainly because the artwork is some of the most offensive I have ever blasted my retinas with) but I really rather enjoy it because my other half enjoys playing it - and neither of us understand the slighty odd humour - it's very US-centric with strange jokes about Scottish bakeries and Kaballa

good luck...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Game Heretics
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife enjoys Lost Cities as well but does like Battle Line better.

Balloon Cup gets the look of approval as does The Rose King.

Roma is also something we enjoy (haven't tried the sequel). She eventually graduated to more complex fare but we still come back to these simpler and no less fun game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maxime Mundel
France
Pfaffenheim
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My sweetheart and I played a lot of Lost cities.
The following game was The settlers Card game. And it was the beginning of ...the rest. You know what i mean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Battle Line, Battle Line, Battle Line or Battle Line.

Or

Any of these would work perfectly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Nuske
Australia
Donvale
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote to Balloon Cup. Similar play style to Lost Cities but with the additional ability to play cards onto your opponent's side which I really like. Always a tense game at the end as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Lighter games my wife and I like playing, which you haven't already listed:

Saint Petersburg
Tobago
Fjords

Games that are light that also have a but of confrontation/competition, if she doesnt' mind that:

Ticket to Ride
Balloon Cup

There are some that are little more complicated, which I do not recommend because you said she likes lighter games. But here they are in case you want to check them out anyway:

San Juan
Jambo
Settlers of Catan card game
Battle Line
To Court the King

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Miller
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Nuts wrote:
Battle Line, Battle Line, Battle Line or Battle Line.

Or

Any of these would work perfectly.

I understand this recommendation... I do. But you have to wonder...

Put yourself in the shoes of a female who just saw this for first time. Now look objectively at the title and box art.... I mean seriously! Where do we men get off thinking this has any female appeal? It would look like the cliched "bowling ball gift" of the nerd world.

...At least Schotten Totten had that cute little Scottish cartoon butt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Shotten-Totten is a cute game. Jaipur is very reminiscent of a streamlined Jambo. Have you considered something abstract? Travel Ingenious is small, cheap, and a really cool game.

I've been playing a bit of Court of the Medici, which is very confrontational but has quite straightforward rules.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think sometimes we underestimate the females, or paint them all with the same pink paintbrush.

Based on the things she's played, it sounds like the theme wouldn't be a problem. My wife and I like Lost Cities and love Battle Line. It's made by the same designer, has the same simple rules and difficult decisions, and plays in the same short playtime.

It's not the only choice, but I think it's a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camo Coffey
United Kingdom
Newcastle upon Tyne
Tyne & Wear
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite 2-player game is King's Gate. No, it's not 2-player only, but it's at its very best as such, because you have more control with alternating actions. With 4 players, it's a bit random; by the time it comes around to your turn, everything's changed. And the 3-player version seems to end too quickly, which is a bit unsatisfying.

There are four stacks of tiles: in a 4 player game, you claim a stack each; in the 3-player, one stack is left out (hence the early finish); and in the 2-player game, you have 2 stacks each. My usual way to play it is to keep your colours separate, and when you draw back up, you can choose from which pile to claim replacement tiles.

Also, it's another Knizia luck management game like Lost Cities; so, if you're familiar with that, this one should be a shoe-in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jambo and San Juan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Johnston
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our current favorites:
Battle Line see above
Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers our new favorite version of Carc
Ubongo: Duel Good if they like puzzles
Triumvirate fun two player trick taking game
Summoner Wars Doesn't scream "wife friendly", but my wife enjoyed our first couple of games. We are still figuring out the strategy.
Quiddler Quick card game. My wife enjoys destroying me in this...but I am getting better! :D

EDIT: forgot to mention San Juan. I hope one day to add RFTG to this list! :whistle:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Welborn
United States
Anderson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Clemson Tigers #1
mbmbmbmbmb
Kahuna
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.