Subject: A warning about Bioshock 2 (no spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex

Québec
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all: I am not a huge fan of the original Bioshock, but I can admit that what I did not like about that game was mostly a matter of taste. Objectively, Bioshock is a great game, and a very original one.

Now, Bioshock 2 is the almost exact same game than its predecessor. The environments look the same, the powers are identical, the weapons are barely changed and the story feels similar and is conveyed to you through identical means.

I could go on and on about how Bioshock 2 does not even feel like an expansion (much less a sequel) to the original game but reminds me of a bonus scenario.

And the lamest thing of all: there does not seem to be any way to start a new game with your plasmids and weapons. So it's back to the basic gun.

So, in conclusion: I recommend Bioshock 2 to you only if you've never played the first one, or if you liked it so much that you would like to have litterally more of the same. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
jellospike wrote:
So, in conclusion: I recommend Bioshock 2 to you only if you've never played the first one, or if you liked it so much that you would like to have litterally more of the same. shake

I've not yet played Bioshock 2, but I did actually like Bioshock 1 so much I would like to have more of the same.

Also, BioShock 2 has a multi-player mode where BioShock 1 did not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
jellospike wrote:

So, in conclusion: I recommend Bioshock 2 to you ...if you liked it so much that you would like to have litterally more of the same. shake

Sold!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the best positive reviews I've read of the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex

Québec
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, just play Bioshock 1 again and pretend it's Bioshock 2. Your brain won't be able to tell the difference and you'll be $60 richer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Thomas
United States
Coshocton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jellospike wrote:
Seriously, just play Bioshock 1 again and pretend it's Bioshock 2. Your brain won't be able to tell the difference and you'll be $60 richer.

Let me guess, you buy the new Madden every year, don't you? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Stewart
Canada
Grand Bay-Westfield
NB
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
jellospike wrote:
Seriously, just play Bioshock 1 again and pretend it's Bioshock 2. Your brain won't be able to tell the difference.

Right, except for the new enemies and levels, plot continuation and multiplayer mode, the fact that your plasmids and weapons can be used at the same time, hacking is totally different, you're a completely different character, and collecting Adam is different...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex

Québec
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JordanZS wrote:

Right, except for the new enemies and levels,

There are like 3 or 4 new enemies. And the old ones are the same. And well, I guess differently placed corridors make for new levels.

JordanZS wrote:

plot continuation

I did not care much for Bioshock 1's storyline, but it was very original. The same cannot be said of the sequel's.

JordanZS wrote:

and multiplayer mode,

I agree on that one. Althrough I though it was not very fun and a little ugly. But that's a matter of personal taste.

JordanZS wrote:

the fact that your plasmids and weapons can be used at the same time,

Barely noticeable.

JordanZS wrote:

hacking is totally different,

But it serves the exact same purpose, and the mini-game was more interesting in the first game.

JordanZS wrote:

you're a completely different character,

In both games, you play a mute POV. I guess the shape of your hands is different... whistle

JordanZS wrote:

and collecting Adam is different...

Yeah, and more annoying and repetitive than the first one.

Now I seem to be whining about the game, but it did disappoint me a lot, and althrough I don't want to convince the real fans of the first game (or those that did not play it) not to try it, I think those that did not like Bioshock 1 a lot (like me) should skip the sequel, because there are no noticeable improvements, which is sad, because the core gameplay of the series is really fun and the first one was so original and refreshing, while the new one has this dank and moldy smell.

Oh, and I don't think I played a sport game since the SNES, except one hockey game I rented last year. The controls were weird and hard to get used to. robot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.