Here I Stand» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hungarian surrender rule -- questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Muir
Germany
flag msg tools
Couple of points of clarification:

1) Ottomans attack Buda, score 2 hits -- enough to trigger the surrender rule -- but take 3 hits in return, losing the field battle.

What happens? Do the Ottomans still take Buda? Or are they forced to retreat, allowing the 3 surviving Hungarians to go into the fortress?

2) If the Ottomans have units in a space at the moment of surrender, even besieging units, they take over that space. What happens to surviving Hungarian units in that space (i.e., Ottomans win the field battle at Buda and kill 2 Hungarians -- survivors are vaporized, or can retreat somewhere?)

3) Assuming the Ottomans activate Hungarian surrender with an attack on Buda, but have not reached Prague, Prague becomes a Hapsburg key. Does the lone Hungarian regular there remain?

4) Later in the game, can the Hapsburg build Hungarian units in Hungarian keys?

Thanks very much in advance,

Doug M.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Barratt
United Kingdom
Royal Leamington Spa
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vormuir wrote:
Couple of points of clarification:

1) Ottomans attack Buda, score 2 hits -- enough to trigger the surrender rule -- but take 3 hits in return, losing the field battle.

What happens? Do the Ottomans still take Buda? Or are they forced to retreat, allowing the 3 surviving Hungarians to go into the fortress?

The Ottoman's retreat (if they have a controlled space to retreat to), then the Hungarian surrender happens, leaving Buda and 3 Hungarian regulars controlled by the Habsburgs.

It would probably be a good idea for the Ottomans to try to use their home card to win the battle.

vormuir wrote:
2) If the Ottomans have units in a space at the moment of surrender, even besieging units, they take over that space. What happens to surviving Hungarian units in that space (i.e., Ottomans win the field battle at Buda and kill 2 Hungarians -- survivors are vaporized, or can retreat somewhere?)

They are vaporized.

(technically they retreat into the city then vanish when it goes Ottoman, but in effect: vaporized.

vormuir wrote:
3) Assuming the Ottomans activate Hungarian surrender with an attack on Buda, but have not reached Prague, Prague becomes a Hapsburg key. Does the lone Hungarian regular there remain?

Correct

vormuir wrote:
4) Later in the game, can the Hapsburg build Hungarian units in Hungarian keys?

Yes, and also in Hungarian non-keys.

Note that Hungarians are all regulars, so (unless using the Foreign Recruits card) the Habsburgs can't build mercenaries in Hungary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct on all accounts Matthew!

Note for the Ottoman, many players use the home card first in the turn to build regs. I don't. I use it as the LAST card I'm going to play to build troops for the next turn. This can seem counterproductive, but always having that card that can affect field [only] battles can be a powerful deterent to enemy actions.

I try to never use this card for battle or OPS. The two exceptions (for me) are the battle of Buda and possibly the first turn of piracy. Move out to sea, then with a 5 card you can pirate move and pirate, getting two shots at once. I'd prefer to use another 5 card, but sometimes don't have one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.