Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
james collins
United States
rockport
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, I have never been to a gaming convention. I have always imagined that it would be great to meet people who have the same interest as me. But, so far it has not been meant to be. I have scoured though the countless pages of descriptions and reviews of wargames but haven't quite found my answer to this question: "What are popular wargames at conventions that you have seen played over and over?" I mean games with dice upon dice, not anything that involves anything remotely close to a Euro. I don't mean Risk or Axia and Allies(as they are already favorites). I want find out what is popular at most Cons, so I am not teaching myself a game no one else has played or heard of. Thanks in advance for your input.

James
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bkdlots wrote:
Sadly, I have never been to a gaming convention.

Then, go!

Quote:
I have always imagined that it would be great to meet people who have the same interest as me. But, so far it has not been meant to be.

I repeat, then go!

Quote:
I have scoured though the countless pages of descriptions and reviews of wargames but haven't quite found my answer to this question: "What are popular wargames at conventions that you have seen played over and over?"

The reason is that best to place online to find out what games are offered at a game convention are at the game convention's website. Different conventions offer different games: some miniatures, some boardgames, some monster games, some tournaments, some open gaming, some block games, some ASL, some card driven wargames, etc.

And to a large extent the games are they offer are completely up to what various volunteer gamers decide to run. If someone offers to run the event, it happens. If no one offers to run a game, it doesn't happen. The only way to be absolutely sure a particular game will be run to run it yourself.

Quote:
I mean games with dice upon dice, not anything that involves anything remotely close to a Euro.

You better learn to get that chip off your shoulder. Many conventions feature multiple genres. If you don't want to play a Euro, you don't have to. ANd many of the best wargames don't feature dice upon dice.

Quote:
I don't mean Risk or Axia and Allies(as they are already favorites). I want find out what is popular at most Cons, so I am not teaching myself a game no one else has played or heard of.

That's why you have to go the convention (or its website) to see what games are there. Most offer open gaming to play almost anything else if someone else wants to play..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Wesley
United States
Mechanicsville
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Go to www.prezcon.com & click the link for "My Schedule" on the left. It'll take you to the list of games being "officially" played at PrezCon this coming week - it'll give you a good overview of what gets played at a con that's not strictly a wargaming con.

Some of the highlights...

Victory in the Pacific
War at Sea
Commands & Colors: Ancients
Axis & Allies

etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Powers
United States
Triangle
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You certainly need to find one and go!

I will be at Prezcon this week, game mastering Conflict of Heroes. My daughter will be GMing War of the Ring. Some others:

Combat Commander
Twilight Struggle
Hammer of the Scots
Richard III (new this year)

I hope you can find a convetion to attend.
Bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd follow the advice of the others, and check out your local convention scene.

Since you don't have much information on your profile, I did a general search for game conventions in Texas, and came up with:

OwlCon...at Rice University. Was held this weekend.
Texicon...Fort Worth. To be held in May.
Millenium Con...Round Rock. Primarily a miniatures convention, but it mentions some boardgames will be there. To be held in November.
BGG.con...Dallas. To be held in late November.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a big fan of conventions myself, but I've been to a few. What games get played tends to vary, both according to the nature of the Con (you don't see a lot of boardgames coming out at miniatures conventions), and whether there's a designated "theme" for the event (i.e. huge multi-map "monster" games, or perhaps naval or air warfare games). Games that happen to be popular at the moment (i.e. recent releases with a lot of "buzz"), and the old classics (lots of replays of the venerable AH oldies, often by the same crusty grognards using the same tried-and-true formulaic tactics) get a lot of play too. Most Cons will have a list of scheduled games, but there are also a lot of "pick-up" games played where someone will simply go around looking for interested folks to play some game on a "come as you are" basis. If you happen to have a favorite or two, bring a copy with you, set it up in a common area, and simply ask passers-by if they're interested in playing. You'd be surprised at how many takers you'll get that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike E.
United States
Lorton
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last year at ORIGINS in the "war room," Combat Commander was being played a LOT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
To the OP - I know how you feel.

I head off for my first at dawn the 23rd - and I plan to blog about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Burke
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Texas is one of the hotbeds of ASL, if you desire a life long commitment to wargaming these guys will be very helpful and run a weekly lunch and monthly gaming sessions besides the 3-4 Cons they run during the year.

(a very good reason to retire to Austin )

http://www.texas-asl.com/

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Linman
United States
Allen
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're able to go to BGG Con in Dallas in November, you will see that some months prior to it a geeklist will be put up listing wargames we are planning to play, along with schedules, who's planning to play in them, etc. It's a very useful tool, as then we can schedule around our often-long games. Some of the most popular wargames in the two years I've been include:

Here I Stand
Napoleon's Triumph
Hammer of the Scots
The Napoleonic Wars
Rommel in the Desert
Combat Commander (various versions)
Close Action
Unappy King Charles!
Richard III
Sword of Rome
Command & Colors Ancients

To give you an even better idea, here is last year's geeklist:
http://www.geekdo.com/geeklist/45793/bgg-con-2009-for-wargam...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive been to a ton of miniatures conventions and while some of the games there are good, they are typically much longer games. Im going to prezcon too and Im really excited about it. I missed WBC last summer, and this to me is the next best thing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James wood
United States
Universal City
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you could attend WiFCon. I have been to 5 over the years, none recenlty though. You better really like WiF though, not to many other games get played.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancer4321 wrote:
I'm not a big fan of conventions myself, but I've been to a few. What games get played tends to vary, both according to the nature of the Con (you don't see a lot of boardgames coming out at miniatures conventions), and whether there's a designated "theme" for the event (i.e. huge multi-map "monster" games, or perhaps naval or air warfare games). Games that happen to be popular at the moment (i.e. recent releases with a lot of "buzz"), and the old classics (lots of replays of the venerable AH oldies, often by the same crusty grognards using the same tried-and-true formulaic tactics) get a lot of play too. Most Cons will have a list of scheduled games, but there are also a lot of "pick-up" games played where someone will simply go around looking for interested folks to play some game on a "come as you are" basis. If you happen to have a favorite or two, bring a copy with you, set it up in a common area, and simply ask passers-by if they're interested in playing. You'd be surprised at how many takers you'll get that way.

Huh? Since no one has played my interpretation of "Concord 1775" it's
nicely balanced.
Try a game which will point you to a boardgame version of a battle.
see
hmgs.org
Minis blow most boardgames away,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Maurer
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It really depends on the game convention. I've noticed in Central Illinois there tends to be a heavy preference towards miniature gaming, but not so much wargames. When I go to conventions, I have always been able to find someone willing to play a two player (Paths of Glory, Twilight Struggle, Shifting Sands) or multi-player (Here I Stand, Successors, Friedrich) wargames.

I would recommend checking out the convention website and seeing what they have available. There are always the people who just show up and set up a game to play, so keep your eye out for those opportunities as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Siler
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Command and Colors - and all its variants - seems pretty popular and I didn't want to get into it.
But now they're working on a Napoleonic module, so I'll probably go for it. Westeros mayby too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/51032/wargames-schedul...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Whitney
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't been to a large scale convention in a decade, but there's an annual weekend tabletop convention that runs in my city. They mostly run various SciFi themed miniatures tournaments, but I've noticed they also have tournaments scheduled for Flames of War and Combat Commander.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.