Popular Tags: [View All]
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read the expansion rules, but only have Tomb (w/out expansion). I understand that we're supposed to use Cryptmaster rules.

One surprise I encountered is that when Monsters are revealed, if they have Magic dice they get one Spell card attached to them, and if they have Holiness dice they get one Prayer card attached to them. That definitely changes the game from the original. I just wanted to confirm: Is this indeed the way that Tomb players play now? (I want to play to the "standard" as best I can.) So you do attach these cards where applicable? (And yes, I do note that if the text calls for additional attachments, you do those too.)

Also, the Mercenary rules from the expanded rules -- if you don't own the expansion, are you playing Mercenary rules?

Thanks in advance,

David

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
I was surprised by the spell/prayer rule change too. I started using it in my regular Tomb games. So consider it "official".

I always thought holiness / magic dice didn't make sense anyway if the monster wasn't given spells or prayers on their card because I couldn't think of many times where a spell or prayer was opposed. Some items would let you add magic or holiness dice to an attack but it's very situational so it didn't justify giving the monster stats in the first place. The new rule makes more sense.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Stapp
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would also go with the New Cryptmaster rules. But that is just opinion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We will. I have to say, though, I find this a little bit complicating -- probably it's just because I'm a new player. But I feel like it's "just another thing" and the feeling of drawing yet another creature with either type of dice for which we have to draw another card, etc., ah well -- grin and bear it. Also, I suspect that with more experience and familiarity we may end up feeling this is more a warm fuzzy than a cold prickly.

Thanks. --DG

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mont A.
United States
Carbondale
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
David Gardner wrote:
....more a warm fuzzy than a cold prickly.

laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Frank
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried giving monsters spells and prayers as per the rules, and likewise characters with magic/holy dice. Two games were played like this and were poorly received because the rule dilutes the specialness of the spellcasters in the party and the shock of the monster with spells. So we now play without the rule and have a more enjoyable game.

Let only clerics cast prayers, and wizards cast spells. This, in my opinion, is how it ought to be.Rulesbook notwithstanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Crouch
United States
Shoreline
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
I agree with the above - only if I'm doing a hardcore game with a group of experienced players do I give EVERY monster with holiness/magic dice a prayer/spell. Otherwise, playing the integrated original + expansion, there are enough special abilities and even tomb instructions/CM cards that give monsters spells as relevant anyhow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.