John Cabral
United States
Bristol
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hive

Hive is a 2 player abstract strategy game.

Brief overview

Each player gets 11 bakelite insect tiles of 1 color.

1 Queen Bee

2 Beetles

3 Grasshoppers

2 Spiders

3 Soldier Ants

Each insect moves differently. The object of the game is to surround the opponents queen bee. As long as a players queen bee is completely surrounded, including that players pieces, the game is over.

What do all the pieces do?

There are so many reviews and posts for this game, that there is no need to go over what each piece does.

Why post another review then?

Hive is a great game that deserves to be talked about whenever possible. There is so much that Hive does well. One particular thing that I notice about Hive is the way it looks.

Very simple, yet aesthetically pleasing.

What else is there to like?

1 The length of the game is great! It can be played multiple times in one session. It is roughly 15-20 minutes to play. There is also no set-up time. Pull the pieces out and your ready to go!

2 The strategy and tactics are very good. You can have a plan going in, but you must be flexible in case the opponent makes a clever move. A lot of time you must be thinking a move ahead.

3 This game is very portable. It comes with a small bag to put the pieces in. That's it!

4 This game can be played anywhere. And I mean anywhere! Aside from the normal tables that are used to play games it can be brought and played at cafes and bars. I have also seen a picture(I'm sure it's on BGG) of the game on sand at a beach.

5 This game has great replayability. Because of it's short time and clever gameplay, it can be played over and over again. Not too many games have such strategy in such a short time.

6 Hive is very easy to learn and teach. It's very accessible to non-gamers.

What's not to like?

1 The game can end in a stalemate. If both queen bees are touching or close, the game can end with both queen bees being surrounded at the same time.

Why should someone not have this in their collection?

The only reason that someone would not have this in their collection of games is because they know at least 2 people with the game already. Even then, I would get it. This small package can be played anywhere. Along with great gameplay, the short duration keeps this game being played over and over again.

What to do now...

Buy it! thumbsup

All pictures are from the Hive gallery.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just may have to go out and buy this game now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ferreira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
absurdjohnny wrote:
Why should someone not have this in their collection?

The only reason that someone would not have this in their collection of games is because they know at least 2 people with the game already. Even then, I would get it. This small package can be played anywhere. Along with great gameplay, the short duration keeps this game being played over and over again.

Someone suffering from arachnophobia shouldn't buy it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Jenkins
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
absurdjohnny wrote:
Hive

What's not to like?

1 The game can end in a stalemate. If both queen bees are touching or close, the game can end with both queen bees being surrounded at the same time.

I can only find one link to wikipedia to support this, but the "tournament" rules state that the bee cannot be placed on the first move to help prevent this. So just play with that variant and the number of stalemates goes down drastically.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hive_(game)#Openings

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cabral
United States
Bristol
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IndyJinx wrote:

I can only find one link to wikipedia to support this, but the "tournament" rules state that the bee cannot be placed on the first move to help prevent this. So just play with that variant and the number of stalemates goes down drastically.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hive_(game)#Openings

This is true. I have played a game that ended in a stalemate where both queen bees were placed second. If a queen bee is close enough it can still become a stalemate. Stalemates don't happen enough to ruin the game and the tournament rules help this out a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cabral
United States
Bristol
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brainst0rm wrote:

Someone suffering from arachnophobia shouldn't buy it

Touche`
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Gardiner
United States
Napa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say I really enjoy this game for all the reasons mentioned. Some have compared it to Chess. But I think it is more like Anti-Chess. Sure, both games have specialized movement for each pice, and the goal is to imobilize the Royal piece, but Chess is a game of attrition, as you pla chess you lose pieces. With Hive, as the game progresses, you can pices.

Great game to bring along and the Wife loves it. Nuff Said.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.