Subject: Recommend some 2-player games for my wife and I rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Jones
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking for something with some strategy to keep me entertained but nothing overly complicated as once my wife feels overwhelmed she is usually done with the game. I have managed to teach her how to play Magic and she seems to like it, go figure as this was one of the more complicated games for myself to learn. I recently picked up Monsterpocalypse and even though I enjoyed it, after a couple games she decided it was too complicated for her tastes. I can't take another game of Monopoly, Clue, etc. After looking through some of the threads here I'm thinking of picking up "Carcassonne: The Castle" but would like a few more suggestions as well. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Giannis Sofianopoulos
Greece
Agios Dimitrios
Athens
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Since she liked Magic why not try Dominion I think it's a safe bet. Also have a look at Mr. Jack in New York much more balanced than mr. jack.

My wife and I have been playing the 2-player variant for Puerto Rico but maybe it would scare your wife away. Other games that we enjoy are: Aton, Medici vs Strozzi and Dungeon Twister.

Also have a look here if you'd like
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/50968/two-is-company-o...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judit Szepessy
Canada
London
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If your wife does not mind confrontation, try Roma with her.This is a card game that is not overly strategic and a lot of fun
Dominion is great too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I pretty much jumped right in to the deep end of the strategy games with my wife, and it worked pretty well. A few lighter games that I might suggest:

Dominion - Great game. However, some Magic players dislike it, so be warned that comparisons are natural and may not be favorable.

Battle Line - A more traditional card game, but very tense and competitive.

Vikings - It may feel a bit childish at first, but it's got some interesting strategy and always makes my wife and I smile.

Attika - This one may be more dry than you are used to, but it really shines with just two and is not more complicated than learning Monopoly. It seems to have some real strategic depth, so you won't outgrow it too quickly.

Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers - I've not played it myself, but people I trust say that this is the one to get for two players.

Stone Age - This is a great step up into full euro board games, but is pretty simple mechanically and has great production values (which SOs tend to appreciate). Also, it has a mating hut. Just saying.

Starting with a few of these should get your foot in the door. If she likes them, you can move on to something with a little more challenge.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Catan Card Game might work well, and you can buy two sets and do a deck building version if you prefer. Also several expansions available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bame
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another vote for Carcassonne The Castle. My wife and I also play Roll Through the Ages, Arcana, Ingenious, and micropul as 2-person games that she likes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Heerema
Canada
Hanover
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The ones from my collection that my wife really likes:
1. Pandemic
2. St. Petersburg
3. Lost Cities
4. Jambo
5. Catan Card Game
6. Ticket To Ride (or TTR Switzerland)
7. Thurn and Taxis
8. Alhambra
9. Dominion

Hope that helps. Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gertrude McFuzz

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend Carcassonne over Carcassonne Castle. The base game of Carcassonne is a fine game with 2 and adds the option of playing with more and of adding expansions if you like it. My family loves Carcassone, but won't play Carc Castle mainly (I think) because the visual element of the tile laying is a lot less intuitive and can be downright off-putting.

I second the recommendation of Catan Card Game, since you like card games. Also take a look at Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
indigopotter wrote:
Catan Card Game might work well, and you can buy two sets and do a deck building version if you prefer. Also several expansions available.

I strongly second that recommendation. My wife and I enjoy the Settlers of Catan Card Game more than we do the basic Settlers of Catan. Additionally, there are about 4 expansion sets that can be mixed and matched to scale the game to whatever level of complexity you are comfortable with. You can even play with each player using a different expansion card set.

For a shorter/lighter abstract strategy game that has very simple rules while offering great tension and tough decisions, I highly recommend
Kahuna.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Caputo
United States
Santa Clara
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The top 10 games my wife and I like to play:

Dominion
Pandemic
Catan Dice Game
The Hanging Gardens
Kachina (I'm the designer, but we still really enjoy it.)
Marrakech
Typo
Blokus
Ingenious
Carcassonne
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cabral
United States
Bristol
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jambo would be a great game for you two. Check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.