Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Kandell
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My Milton Bradley 1985 edition of Scotland Yard lists 3-6 players on the box and instructions. But I see it listed in the database here to include 2 players (with 2 being voted the "best"!) Is this a difference between the MB and other versions? Where does one find the official 2p rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
jkandell wrote:
Where does one find the official 2p rules?
+1 (last time I looked I failed to find the 2p rules, but that was a while ago)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
Australia
Kilsyth
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just did a quick scan through the threads and this one seems the most relevant.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/79751/how-many-detective...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it's official, because my set also sayd 3-5 players, but 2 players is very simple. One plays the five detectives and the other Mr. X. MO it works very well, and I got the 1985 edition in 1985, playing it ever since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kandell
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It seems people play 2p with the same number of detectives as they do with the multiplayer game. Those who follow the American rules use 5 detectives; those who play European style with 4 detectives use that.

I'll have to test these out in practice, because even if four may be "the most balanced" with two multiple detective players, having a single player coordinating them gives additional strength to that side.

In any case it sounds like 2p is not official in any addition, so I wonder how one lets the Admins know there is an error in the database.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
5 detectives works the best because otherwise it is too easy for Mr. X to slip away. That makes the game properly balanced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt h
United States
Unspecified
ca
flag msg tools
I've played this game at least 200 times and it best with 2 players. When 1 person controls all 5 cops they catch Mr. X 90% of the time is what my friends and I have calculated. If you have 6 people playing Mr. X can get away more often due to the fact that 5 people won't always agree on where to place the police.

This game is a great game. No dice, and no luck (except for the choosing of the starting spots) and lots of thinking. It is without doubt one of my all time favorite games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
0,07 Geek Gold
Italy
flag msg tools
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
badge
Vendo tutta la collezione, clicca sul mio profilo per prezzi e disponibilità
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually I play SY with 2 players. Detective use all 5 pawns and doesn't keep tickets separate... Pretty hard for Mr. X but extremely tense and fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.