Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm musing over a convention setup; something to ensure a lot of chaos and activity all over multiple boards, without being overly difficult. What do you think the effect of the following would be on the game's difficulty and flow?

*Use all expansions, big and small.
*Mythos cards are divided into two piles: those which open gates in Arkham locations (regardless of which expansion they came from) and everything else.
*8 players, with two mythos phases per round. Four players take their full turn, draw from the Arkham deck, four more players take their full turn, draw from the other deck.
*During the Arkham Mythos phase, only monsters in Arkham move. During the Other Mythos phase, only monsters in other locations move. Flying monsters move during either phase, as long as they're going to the active board.
*Use the 'Very Easy' difficulty rules - every Clue placed on the board is doubled.
*Players may choose their investigators.
*Must seal 10 gates to win by gate seals. (Just a guess, to compensate for the extra Clues available. Might be too high.)

Here's another batch:
*Cthulhu as GOO.
*Mother Dagon and Father Hydra.
*Use one of the guardians.
*Players gain +2 Max Health and Stamina. (So +1 after Cthulhu's penalty.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
beri wrote:
I'm musing over a convention setup; something to ensure a lot of chaos and activity all over multiple boards, without being overly difficult. What do you think the effect of the following would be on the game's difficulty and flow?

*Use all expansions, big and small.

This does add chaos, but not necessarily of the fun kind. And it doesn't insure activity all over the place. A normal game lasts about 16-20 turns. So that means you'll average about 0-4 Mythos cards per expansion. Sometimes nothing will happen on Innsmouth and/or Dunwich board until late in the game. In addition their main elements (Dunwich Horror and Deep One rising track) are diluted.

Nothing much ever happens in Kingsport anyway. But with 8 players,
you can probably spare 1 to keep the rifts down.

In addition, it makes for a very quick and probably losing game in that there will be relatively few gate bumps and monster surges and (thankfully) gate bursts.

Quote:
*Mythos cards are divided into two piles: those which open gates in Arkham locations (regardless of which expansion they came from) and everything else.
*8 players, with two mythos phases per round. Four players take their full turn, draw from the Arkham deck, four more players take their full turn, draw from the other deck.

Actually 2 Mythos phases per 4 investigators could work, theoretically. I think I tried it a long time back and I was terribly short of clues. Your solution of dividing the decks will probably help. Have you physically tried dividing the decks? How many cards are in the smaller deck? Strange sightings, double doomers/terror and Next Act Cards. Ouch.

Quote:
*During the Arkham Mythos phase, only monsters in Arkham move. During the Other Mythos phase, only monsters in other locations move. Flying monsters move during either phase, as long as they're going to the active board.

Why? Save time? Monster movement adds chaos. OTOH are investigators going to have an additional Upkeep to adjust?

Quote:
*Use the 'Very Easy' difficulty rules - every Clue placed on the board is doubled.

Well that answers my above question. Use Hypnos instead would be my suggestion.

Quote:
*Players may choose their investigators.
*Must seal 10 gates to win by gate seals. (Just a guess, to compensate for the extra Clues available. Might be too high.)

I think 10 seals is too difficult. First you have to have 10 gates to even come out and unless you have lots of doom token removal its impossible.

There will only be 20 extra clues (at most more like 10) in the whole game based on your set up plus clues generated on the non gate cards. Just take away the sealing victory condition and require closing all gates. With 8 players, they'll need to close and keep 8 gates. Of course, they could still do this while keep the 10 sealed gates requirement. Still, I'd drop it to 8 sealed gates.

OTOH, choosing investigators can compensate for lots of the difficulty. There are several clue generators to choose from.

Quote:
Here's another batch:
*Cthulhu as GOO.

Apparently you are expecting lots of veterans?
Ghatanothoa, I think. was voted the most fun GOO to be eaten by on the FFG forum (If I remember correctly). He'd be especially fun if you use the 2 clue rule above.

I'd play it, but I wouldn't want to run it. Color me Wendy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Figgins
United States
Woodland
California
flag msg tools
badge
http://lyrislaser.com
mbmbmbmbmb
mageith wrote:
Actually 2 Mythos phases per 4 investigators could work, theoretically. I think I tried it a long time back and I was terribly short of clues. Your solution of dividing the decks will probably help. Have you physically tried dividing the decks? How many cards are in the smaller deck? Strange sightings, double doomers/terror and Next Act Cards. Ouch.

I don't know, I'll have to try it later. The 'smaller' deck might actually be larger...it'll have all the Dunwich, Kingsport, and Innsmouth locations, the double dooms, terror, and Next Act cards. If the sizes end up too far off, I could move Gate Bursts in there, too.

Quote:
Why? Save time? Monster movement adds chaos. OTOH are investigators going to have an additional Upkeep to adjust?

To keep the monster movement the same rate as before - each monster has one opportunity to move each round. If monsters could move on both cards, they're effectively moving twice for each investigator's once.
It might not be a problem, but I worry about, say, getting a Fast monster in Dunwich, and having it dive straight into a portal before any nearby investigators have a chance to do anything about it.
Also, it means that I only have to look at half of the board for monsters when I draw a Mythos card.

Quote:
There will only be 20 extra clues (at most more like 10) in the whole game based on your set up plus clues generated on the non gate cards. Just take away the sealing victory condition and require closing all gates. With 8 players, they'll need to close and keep 8 gates. Of course, they could still do this while keep the 10 sealed gates requirement. Still, I'd drop it to 8 sealed gates.

Sounds good. Once they get to 7+ sealed gates, they're probably well on-track for closing all gates, anyway.

Quote:
Here's another batch:
*Cthulhu as GOO.

Apparently you are expecting lots of veterans?
Ghatanothoa, I think. was voted the most fun GOO to be eaten by on the FFG forum (If I remember correctly). He'd be especially fun if you use the 2 clue rule above.[/q]

I might be expecting lots of veterans...I'm not sure. I think I want to present it as a 'everything frickin' possible' sort of game of AH, but maybe I should dial it back a bit. Using all the expansions will already make it a pretty epic game, maybe I don't need to go all-out.

Ghatanothoa is certainly an interesting GOO - changes how you play the game, wanting to avoid double-clues. I'm hesitant to use a GOO with a 'devour' situation, though, because that means holding up the game while they choose a new investigator, get them set up, shuffle decks as necessary, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
beri wrote:
Ghatanothoa is certainly an interesting GOO - changes how you play the game, wanting to avoid double-clues. I'm hesitant to use a GOO with a 'devour' situation, though, because that means holding up the game while they choose a new investigator, get them set up, shuffle decks as necessary, etc.

On the other hand, their turn will be short!

Well good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.