Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd N.
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and my wife really enjoy trick taking games, but often wind up playing games with just the two of us. Are there any good trick taking games out there for 2? Or even more so scale from 2+?

Our current crop of Trick taking/climbing games that we favor are:
Gang of Four, Tichu, Coup d'Etat, Hispaniola, The Bottle Imp/ (Flatchenfeul).

Thanks,
Todd
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played it myself yet, but check out Triumvirate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pat Johnston
United States
North Liberty
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:

We like this one. We have only played ~ 5 times, but I can see it has a suprising amount of strategy (when to take tricks, when to let your opponent win, how to look long term).

I don't know of any other just for two...I would be interested in that info too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bartel
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:

The same publisher is also publishing Haggis soon - a highly-regarded Tichu-like game for 2-3 players, by designer Sean Ross. The print-and-play version is only for 2, and has a handful of other small differences as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Childers
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Give Too Many Cooks a try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this game out, a trick taking game for exactly 2 players, designed by David Parlett: Galapagos

A little description taken from his site:

Quote:
The game consists of three phases as follows:

1. Melds. In Phase 1 you both try to improve your hands by bidding for new cards from the stock. When none remain in stock, you score for any melds (card combinations) contained in your revised hands. This phase is rather like Gops.

2. Tricks. In Phase 2 you play out your revised hands to 13 tricks, aiming especially to win an odd number of tricks (1, 3, 5 etc). This phase is rather like Piquet.

3. Play-off. Finally, you each pick up as a new hand the 13 cards you used for bidding in the first phase, and aim to be the first to play out all the cards from your hand. This phase is rather like Arsehole / President / Trouduc (the game with a thousand names, most of them scatological).

Full rules can be found here:
http://www.davidparlett.co.uk/oricards/glapgos.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd N.
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the responses. These all look like great suggestions. The OCD in me will end up trying them all out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cosmic Eidex is for three players only. The basic rules make for a pretty good game. The addition of a rule-bending power for each player make for a really good game.

I know two traditional-deck trick taking games for two players that are worth mentioning. You might enjoy two-handed Pinochle. Find the rules at www.pagat.com. Also, there's a two-player Set Back variant called California Jack that I used to have the rules for. I don't think they're at Pagat (they didn't used to be).

I would also recommend Mü & Lots More. The main game is a deep game that's best with five players. Also included in the box is Was sticht?, a game that is breathtakingly good. The deck is dealt out face up in rows and players draft their hands from the face up cards. After each row is taken the dealer (who is the only one who knows trump) says who would have won that "trick" if it had been played like one. In other words, you have to deduce what is trump. Combine this with the potential for two different types of trump (both colors and numbers can be trump, or there can be a "no trump" option), and you get a mind burning game.

Don't forget about Sticheln, where you try to avoid taking a particular color (your misery suit). I like it best with three, but it works with more. And one of the best three-player trick taking games is Bargain Hunter, but be prepared to pay dearly a copy. (As I type this there is one copy in the Marketplace, in Germany for 26 Euro. That's a lot of money for 100 or so playing cards!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd N.
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David Vander Ark wrote:
Cosmic Eidex is for three players only. The basic rules make for a pretty good game. The addition of a rule-bending power for each player make for a really good game.

I know two traditional-deck trick taking games for two players that are worth mentioning. You might enjoy two-handed Pinochle. Find the rules at www.pagat.com. Also, there's a two-player Set Back variant called California Jack that I used to have the rules for. I don't think they're at Pagat (they didn't used to be).

I would also recommend Mü & Lots More. The main game is a deep game that's best with five players. Also included in the box is Was sticht?, a game that is breathtakingly good. The deck is dealt out face up in rows and players draft their hands from the face up cards. After each row is taken the dealer (who is the only one who knows trump) says who would have won that "trick" if it had been played like one. In other words, you have to deduce what is trump. Combine this with the potential for two different types of trump (both colors and numbers can be trump, or there can be a "no trump" option), and you get a mind burning game.

Don't forget about Sticheln, where you try to avoid taking a particular color (your misery suit). I like it best with three, but it works with more. And one of the best three-player trick taking games is Bargain Hunter, but be prepared to pay dearly a copy. (As I type this there is one copy in the Marketplace, in Germany for 26 Euro. That's a lot of money for 100 or so playing cards!).

I have a friend interested in Cosmic Eidex, and it looks fun.

I forgot Mu & Lots More had a two player game in there.

Sticheln has been on my radar for a while and I am going to have to bite the bullet on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Buhl
United States
Leeds
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Bottle Imp

Beware though, once you pick it up, you won't be able to put the bottle down.

In truth, I have no idea how well it plays with two, I've only played it with 3 or 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bartel
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David Vander Ark wrote:
And one of the best three-player trick taking games is Bargain Hunter, but be prepared to pay dearly a copy. (As I type this there is one copy in the Marketplace, in Germany for 26 Euro. That's a lot of money for 100 or so playing cards!).

Valley Games is doing a reprint of this under the English title "Bargain Hunter". Illustrator Patrick LaMontagne posted the new cover art to his blog back in November, so presumably it'll be coming out very soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fatgreta wrote:
The Bottle Imp
I have no idea how well it plays with two.

It doesn't play well with two. With 3 or 4 it's genious, but with 2 it's just boring. I tried that once and will not try that again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus Pendleton
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never been terribly satisfied with card games that say they scale. For my money, you're better off finding a couple of different games that work at different player counts and then just learning the rules to those three or four games.

Some recommendations not already mentioned above

(British) Napoleon (2--7 players). Highest bidder versus all.

Dou Dizhu (3 players, climbing game). Each turn is 2 vs 1, where the 1 is the highest bidder. The other two are trying to stop him.

Ninety-nine (3 players). The goal is to win exactly the number of tricks you bid.

Not too long ago there was a design contest on BGG for "Traditional card games for 2 players": boardgamegeek.com/thread/421774
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ross
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Furunkulus wrote:
Are there any good trick taking games out there for 2?
Watten
Le Truc
Schnapsen
Bridgette
Jo-Jotte
Mate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
While it's not traditionally trick-taking because cardplay is simultaneous rather than sequential... you might find some of what you're looking for in Pico 2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Watten is my favorite trick-taking game. YOu can play with 2 or 4...

I wrote a review here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/166043/review-watten

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ross
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David Vander Ark wrote:
Also, there's a two-player Set Back variant called California Jack that I used to have the rules for. I don't think they're at Pagat (they didn't used to be).
http://www.bicyclecards.com/game-rules/california-jack/165.p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd N.
United States
Medford
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, you all rock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are several trick-taking and climbing games for the Decktet. (I designed the Decktet, so I apologize if this post verges on shilling.)

Caravan is a Decktet climbing game for two platers. It's somewhat like Haggis - except that the point cards change from hand to hand. Sometimes they're a bonus, but sometimes they're a penalty. Rules are available on-line.

Centrifuge is a Decktet trick-taking game for 2-6, designed by Nathan Morse.

There are several other Decktet trick-taking games (like Chicane, Nonesuch, and Hermit) which play with three or more. A two player variant of Hermit might be possible, but I haven't tried it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniël Muilwijk
Netherlands
Zeist
Utrecht
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
pmagnus wrote:
There are several other Decktet trick-taking games (like Chicane, Nonesuch, and Hermit) which play with three or more. A two player variant of Hermit might be possible, but I haven't tried it.

And there are some new trick-taking games coming up for the Decktet, because I'm busy with putting down the final rules for two of them as we speak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christine Biancheria
United States
Pittsburgh
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely Triumvirate

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Richter
United States
Springfield
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
David & Goliath

I have played this with 5. Not sure if it would scale down to 2. It has a neat mechanic where the highest card takes the trick, but the lowest card takes the highest card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alvin C
Australia
Adelaide
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
timrichter9 wrote:
David & Goliath

I have played this with 5. Not sure if it would scale down to 2. It has a neat mechanic where the highest card takes the trick, but the lowest card takes the highest card.

Great game, but definitely unplayable with 2 - you may as well swap hands and score (you never win a card that you play).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave VanderArk
United States
Coopersville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seandavidross wrote:
David Vander Ark wrote:
Also, there's a two-player Set Back variant called California Jack that I used to have the rules for. I don't think they're at Pagat (they didn't used to be).
http://www.bicyclecards.com/game-rules/california-jack/165.p...

Thanks! Last time I searched for them online (1999) they were nowhere to be found.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.