Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Central Powers A&A variant doesn't really do much to replicate WWI, all it does is add some pieces that look like WWI pieces, and add them to the board. What I'm about to do with this variant, and a slight tweak to the New World Order Variant is to give it a tad more flavor.

THIS HAS NOT BEEN BALANCED in the least. All it does is add some more flavor. As such, it is a work in progress that anyone is allowed to add to (including me) with changes.

First off, Germany and the USSR start off at war with each other. NO OTHER country can declare war on Germany until Germany itself either attacks them, OR 3 turns have passed, OR Germany takes Moscow.

Next off, Germany does NOT have Western Europe OR Southern Europe OR the Ukraine SSR, nor the Industrial Complexes within (so that's -15 IPC's per round).

Germany also does not Posses Algeria or Libya. Instead it owns Persia Syria/Iraq, and Egypt (officially British, but it's under German onslaught. In addition, they also posses Turkey and Saudi Arabia, each which is worth 3 IPC's a piece. Turkey and Saudi Arabia are NOT neutral and are part of the Central Powers. Germany's IPC's therefore are set at 25 IPC's, BUT they also get a starting bonus and start with the possesson of 50 IPC's from the start.

German Setup differs in that it has in Germany

7 Infantry
1 Mark II tank
4 Machine Guns
2 Artillery
1 Plane
1 Transport
1 Submarine

Eastern Europe

1 Industrial Complex
5 Infantry
2 Artillery
3 Machine Guns
1 Plane
1 Transport
1 Battleship

Turkey

2 Infantry
1 Industrial Complex

Persia

1 Artillery

Syria/Iraq

1 machine gun

Egypt

2 Infantry

Saudi Arabia

1 Machine Gun

Germany also has Submarines off the cost of Spain and Rio De Oro.

Russia has the Ukraine SSR and starts with it's IPC marker at 30 IPC's...HOWEVER, it is also starts off with 0 (that's ZERO) IPC's in the bank, so nothing in hand at the very first round.

Ukraine SSR is empty, setup is normal for Russia as per Central Powers

the UK represents the overall Allies, and additionally has Western and Southern Europe (representing Italy and France). It gains NO IPC's from it's overseas units until it's at WAR. Hence it starts with an IPC at 20, this will shoot up to 42 (+22) if it had all it's overseas IPC's added. +22 IPC's is added (minus any IPC's it lost if Germany originally attacks) when it goes to war with Germany.

Otherwise the setup is the same for the UK with the following differences.

It has an Industrial Complex in Southern Europe with two transports.

It also has an Industrial Complex in Western Europe.

The US is setup as normal. It may NOT enter the war until either two turns AFTER the UK/Allies enter the war with Germany, OR 1 turn AFTER Germany takes Moscow (whichever is soonest). It may also immediately enter the war if any of their equipment is attacked.

Before entering the War US can also use 2 transports total as equipment carriers. These ships must start at the US, then travel to the UK or Western Europe, on the turn they arrive at the UK, the UK may pick to get either a machine gun or Artillery piece per transport (UK's choice). These transports must then go back to the US. They may then start the process all over again with those two transports.

Japan is also part of the Allies. They may NOT aid Russia, but may attack Germany and aid allies in any other way that they desire.

If Germany Takes Moscow, they get all the IPC's as per the normal rules of getting a nations IPCs, but at that point they must withdraw to Germany only, with the newly formed USSR paying them a debt equal to however many IPC's Germany had taken from them to a maximum of 20 IPC's per round. These IPC's are given to Germany each round from the bank, and the USSR/Russia is offically OUT OF THE GAME.

Germany MAY make a first strike attack at the UK/Allies, or at the US. If they do so that nation enters the War immediately, THAT turn (instead of the next for the US if they took Moscow, or two turns after that for an attack on the Allies). If Germany attacks the two US transports shipping equipment to the Allies in Europe, the US also enters the war THAT very same turn.

As I said, these are probably not balanced, it has NOT had extensive playtesting, but I feel it will at least give it a tad more flavor of WWI rather than just being a recreation of WWII with WWI pieces.

Hopefully it's enjoyable and any added insights, please just add them to the thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First Addendum, forgot to add these...

No Aircraft Carriers and No Anti-Aircraft guns.

If using R&D and get Super Destroyers, you can substitute having Air craft Carriers instead.

If you get Plane Launch Torpedos can get Anti-Aircraft Guns instead if you so wish (not that AA is really needed against such weak aircraft in the first place...BUT if you so desire it....)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One more addition (as I said it's a work in progress)...

During setup, with the UK, obviously where the Germans have gained nations/troops, you do not place the UK units (meaning none in Egypt or Syria/Iraq etc.). This would mean there's ONE unit (basically) in Africa.

Winning conditions.

To Win the Central Powers need to knock out (aka, control) Moscow, Western Europe, and the UK.

For the Allies to win they need to knock out (aka, control) Germany, Eastern Europe AND Turkey.

IPC victories are possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Lowbridge
msg tools
Hey Sean. I know your post is over a year old but I've been working on a WWI variant for Axis and Allies for about 3 years. I even have a revised A&A map. If this is something that you're still interested in, I'd definitely like to share what I have to get any feedback/suggestions you may have.

Basic rules are in tact but I also purchased the Central Powers tokens to give it the WWI feel. The countries are: European Alliance (UK/France/Italy/Japan), Germany (Germany/Austria Hungary/Bulgaria), Russia, Ottoman Empire, and US. One thing I'm still trying to figure out is how to account for the Russian Revolution. Some ideas I've had include: Russia loses a number of IPCs per turn, Russia loses one territory per turn, or perhaps Red Russia is a sixth 'country' controlled by one of the Central Powers players.

If you'd like to exchange ideas, feel free to contact me at steve_loughrige@comcast.net

--Steve

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.