Popular Tags: [View All]
James Lowder
United States
New Berlin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, Family Games: The 100 Best, the companion volume to Hobby Games: The 100 Best, has finally gone off to the printer. Should be back and available in a couple of weeks.

Final cover is up on the Green Ronin website:
http://www.greenronin.com/store/product/grr4002.html

The final author list:

Mike Gray: Foreword
James Lowder: Introduction and Appendix B (Family games in HG100)
Wil Wheaton: Afterword
David Millians: Appendix A (Games and education)

ESSAYISTS:
Andrea Angiolino
Keith Baker
Wolfgang Baur
Carrie Bebris
Uli Blennemann
Bill Bodden
Mike Breault
Richard Breese
Todd Breitenstein
Alessio Cavatore
Leo Colovini
William W. Connors
David "Zeb" Cook
Monte Cook
Luke Crane
Dominic Crapuchettes
Elaine Cunningham
Richard Dansky
Karl Deckard
Dale Donovan
James Ernest
Matt Forbeck
Anthony J. Gallela
Richard Garfield
Marc Gascoigne
Stephen Glenn
Eric Goldberg
Andrew Greenberg
Ed Greenwood
Jeff Grubb
Scott Haring
Bruce Harlick
Jess Hartley
Rob Heinsoo
Fred Hicks
Will Hindmarch
Kenneth Hite
Joshua Howard
Steve Jackson (Games Workshop)
Steve Jackson (Steve Jackson Games)
Paul Jaquays
Seth Johnson
Matthew Kirby
Corey Konieczka
John Kovalic
Robin D. Laws
Matt Leacock
Jess Lebow
Jon Leitheusser
Ken Levine
Nicole Lindroos
Ian Livingstone
Michelle Lyons
Hal Mangold
Jason Matthews
Erik Mona
Alan R. Moon
Colin McComb
Bruce Nesmith
Kevin Nunn
Peter Olotka
Phil Orbanes
Andrew Parks
David Parlett
Sébastien Pauchon
jim pinto
Mike Pondsmith
Chris Pramas
Lewis Pulsipher
John D. Rateliff
Sheri Graner Ray
Philip Reed
Thomas M. Reid
Susan McKinley Ross
Charles Ryan
Steven Schend
Robert J. Schwalb
Emiliano Sciarra
Jesse Scoble
Mike Selinker
Bruce Shelley
Lester Smith
Jared Sorensen
Warren Spector
Stan!
Gav Thorpe
Dan Tibbles
Jeff Tidball
John Scott Tynes
Monica Valentinelli
James Wallis
James M. Ward
Darren Watts
Tom Wham
Bruce Whitehill
John Wick
Kevin Wilson
Ray Winninger
Teeuwynn Woodruff
John Yianni

We'll reveal what games everyone covered shortly before the book ships. As you might expect, board and card games make up the clear majority.

Cheers,
James Lowder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Aleknevicus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Other than its somewhat inaccurate title, I really enjoyed "Hobby Games: The 100 Best". I look forward to reading this "sequel".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowder
United States
New Berlin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My introduction for FG100 dissects the title and assesses its accuracy. Much of the commentary could apply to both books. I suspect you'll likely agree with the points I raise, Greg.

Cheers,
Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Aleknevicus
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Hi Jim,

I think it's an unwritten but accepted notion that anything that's described as the "XX best" automatically includes the footnote: "as determined by XXX". However, this isn't what I was addressing when I said that the title was inaccurate.

When reading the various essays in Hobby Games, it struck me that the authors were not necessarily writing about games they felt were "the best", but rather about games that held special meaning for them. These are not necessarily the same thing! As a personal example, Illuminati is a game that is very special to me but it's unlikely that I'd vote for it as one of the 100 "best" games.

Perhaps "100 Favourites" would have been a more accurate title? Either way, it's a very minor nit to pick about a very enjoyable book.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowder
United States
New Berlin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, Greg:

Glad you enjoyed HG100. I agree with you that the title is a bit problematic. (Like I said, read the intro for Family Games: The 100 Best and you'll see that pretty clearly. )

The authors took a variety of approaches to the idea of "best," so even calling the book "favorites" would be problematic. Most focused on a game's design or historical significance as the reason for writing about it; a few did take a more personal approach. Implicit in those discussions is the idea that Game A influenced an essayist personally, but that essayist also went on to design other games, so there's an added significance to that personal import. And most of the essays that framed the praise of a game in personal terms seemed also to be saying something along the lines of "this is the reason you'll like the game, too."

I'm hoping readers will do precisely what you're doing with the essays, though, Greg: Take them on individually, assess the strength of the individual argument presented, and consider the games discussed (and the book as a whole) through your own critical lens.

Cheers,
Jim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.