Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does "Instead of making a Ranged Attack" mean that the Hero is required to hold a ranged weapon in order to make use of Jade's Diary?

Or is it meant to indicate that you can use it during the Ranged Attack phase, but it's use prohibits making a ranged attack before or after?

We have been ruling it as the second thus far, but the wording isn't 100% clear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wondered that myself in a game last night, and opted for the second option, where it could be used during the Ranged Attack Phase, whether you had a gun or not (but if you did, you couldn't use the gun). I have no idea if that's correct, though...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems kinda clear to me. "Instead of a ranged attack." Just like a search is "instead of moving".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Except in that case you always have Movement as an option. If a game effect caused the Hero to be unable to move for any reason, I would reason it would also prevent Searching, since it is worded as if it is a replacement for the action.

In imagining the Diary's function in the game as theme, it makes no sense that a Hero would need an unfired gun or stick of dynamite handy to make use of the insight being gained from whatever entry they read,

Still, read as written, it could be taken either way - it could imply using the diary is a replacement for a possible ranged attack OR that it can be used as a pseudo ranged attack in itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hill
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb

Your second interpretation is the correct one.

The intent is that using the Diary happens in the Ranged Attack phase and prevents the Hero using it from making any other Ranged Attack that turn.

- Jason
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.