United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like I read something about Uwe Eickert working on either a ACW or Napoleonics game? Am I just dreaming this?
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to see a CoH-inspired spaceship combat game, but only if I get to work on it with him. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
The funny thing is that I would have no interest in napoleonics on the CoH scale. Now it seems like I remember Mr Eickert's name being thrown in on a discussion of the various upcoming Napoleonic titles so at best it would be hearsay of hearsay.

edit spelling

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Roach
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb

From what I understand, CoH was built for WWII to modern era tactical. As a result, I’d say if they move-back to ACW etc..., it’s going to be a very different system. The guys at Academy seem to be rather bright and dedicated, so I would very much like to see their take on a Napoleonic Battle at the tactical or "Grand-tactical level." Of course, their games have outstanding production value as well; if Academy Games and Uwe do a Napoleonic title, I’m in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Nerdsen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
I would love to see a CoH-inspired spaceship combat game, but only if I get to work on it with him. whistle

Jim, where can I preorder?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Collins
United States
Suffolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can confirm that Uwe is working on an ACW title.

I know the particular battle as well, but I'm not sure if I can share that information
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's me and my other pastime. I perform as John Lennon in several Beatles tribute acts.
mbmbmbmbmb
frontlinegeneral wrote:
I can confirm that Uwe is working on an ACW title.

I know the particular battle as well, but I'm not sure if I can share that information

Ditto but it certainly is not at the CoH scale. Operational scale. I cannot comment any more than that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh Noooooooo

Battles of Napoleon, C&C Napoleonics, Napoleon's War, and this ACW done by companies that do superior games in series. I'll have to choose. Timing of the releases might be my only hope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope he does Normandy and AfricaKorp before he starts the others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a chat with Uwe at HMGS-East "Fall In" 2009.

He told me he's working on "Gettysburg: The First Day." He hopes to follow with either a "Second Day" game or an Expansion module covering the remainder of the battle.

This to be a regimental-level game with counters for each regiment and, if I remember correctly, each battery.

The command level will be the Brigade: each brigade will have an off-board display with pegs tracking regiments' losses within that bde. This way, on-board markers will be kept to an absolute minimum.

Uwe is going for a "David Greenspan" look--for those who don't know, Greenspan painted the "battle map" illustrations for "The American Heritage Picture History of the Civil War" published in the early '60s. Hundreds upon hundreds of little infantrymen, cavalrymen, officers, guns and crews, limbers, wagons, all crawling over naturalistic terrain with individual houses, barns, stone bridges, fences, walls, and the like.

Uwe told me that a graphic artist from Poland with considerable computer-game-graphics experience is working on the (mounted) mapboard art with a slightly off-the-vertical perspective to provide a better view of buildings.

If I recall, each hex is about 250 yards, but that could be wrong.

Uwe is working on the game system with veteran designer John Hill ("Squad Leader," "Johnny Reb" miniatures rules). Miniatures gamers familiar with "Johnny Reb" will see some things that are familiar, but the game is not by any means a board rehash of "JR." According to Uwe, the game IS to be player-friendly and not a rules-heavy monster.

The game will feature a huge number of scenarios; Uwe showed me his well-worn copy of a Gettysburg book with, I believe, "Maps of Gettysburg" as the title. It's chock-full of maps depicting portions of the engagement with positions and maneuvers of individual regiments. Most actions look to be brigade-on-brigade or divisional-sized events, though there is nothing preventing players from fighting out the entire first day's battle.

Uwe said he hopes and expects that this will be out by Origins 2010.

Bear in mind that this conversation took place in early November '09; I have no more recent info than this. But this game sounds like it will really be something.

It is a battle-level game, not an operational/campaign game of summer '63.

Start squirreling your money away now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey,
Well I been tempted by ACW stuff, but haven't settled on a game yet, now hearing that Uwe and academy are wading in, I might wait to see how it turns out.
Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartman
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, sounds very spiffy. I venture to say that there are a lot of us wargaming crowd who grew up poring over Greenspan's maps and wishing they could push those little guys around.

Now, I'll have to see how this compares to another ACW/Gettysburg title I've been following closely
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.