Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Gassett
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In our game today, one player had to perform both penance and appear before the Royal Court at the beginning of the next chapter. My question has to do with how discards should be handled. When he does his penance, there is one card discarded face down. When he does the Royal Court, there would then be two face down discards and one face up non-action for his first turn. My understanding (correct me if I am wrong) is that when his second turn of the chapter comes around, he would then only play one face up action card, and no face down discard (since he already has a couple of cards in his discard pile by then). Is this interpretation correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When you do Penance you discard a card at random at the start of the chapter.

When you go before the Royal court, you play and discard a card in the same manner as usual but do not get to do the action on the face up card.

Note that it states under penance that you do not, in this case, need to discard another card when it comes to your turn, so you would only need to play a face up card for the Royal Court (not a face down discard) and would end up with 1 face up card and 1 face down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gassett
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
When you do Penance you discard a card at random at the start of the chapter.

When you go before the Royal court, you play and discard a card in the same manner as usual but do not get to do the action on the face up card.

Note that it states under penance that you do not, in this case, need to discard another card when it comes to your turn, so you would only need to play a face up card for the Royal Court (not a face down discard) and would end up with 1 face up card and 1 face down.

I see what you're saying, but the penance and royal court penalties apply on the player's first turn, before his second turn comes around. It seems like interpreting it as you suggest would dilute the royal court penalty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rafaël Theunis
Belgium
Antwerpen
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I disagree:

- first you have another player decide which card comes on the discard pile
- and then you lose yet another card, but this time of your choice.

the point is that under "normal" circumstances, if you go to royal court you get to choose which two cards you discard, whereas here one of them will be chosen randomly by another player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Schlimgen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rules seem conflicted:

Page 5, Royal Court: "At the start of the next chapter, you must play one action card and discard another in the same manner as usual; ..." (emphasis mine).

Page 3, The Game with All 12 Action cards (the usual manner): "Note: Only discard a card if your action pile is larger than your discard pile."

Page 7, 3rd bullet: "Whenever you choose to (or are forced to) forgo your action ... discard another face-down to your discard pile."

The bullet item doesn't say "as usual" so it may be mandatory, even if your action pile is the same size or smaller than your discard. So which is the correct rule for Royal Court? The specific rule on page 5, or the additional rule on page 7.

I tend to favor the specific rules in these cases. Either way, due to the first bullet, the pile will eventually even out to 6 and 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.