Subject: Arkham Campaign - Session 3 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome for the third iteration of my camaign.

Previous session here : http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/495107/arkham-campaign-s...

After an almost unexpected loss against Zhar, it’s time to do the rematch.
So let’s begin the new round :

ROUND 7 : Zhar VS the Private Eye, the Redeemed Cultist, The Psychic, the Psychanalist
(No Herald nor guardian)

Things began pretty OK. All actions happens in Arkham and no double mythos to worry about. The Private and the Psychanalist kept monsters population under control while the others went to seal gate.
Soon the Psychanalist sealed a third, and I found myself with only bad option : If Arkham was under control, the three other cities was in a problematic situation : The psychic, out of clue, went to Kingsport to prevent rift opening, the cultistt, to dunwich to close a gate and the Private to Innsmouth to ... I’m not sure : either close a gate or fill the feds track, since the Innsmouth track was half full. Again a race against time has begun.

A race I was losing : I made the good decision and began to fill the fed track while gate tried to open at sealed location, in the end I was forced to cancel a rather friendly Mythos card that would fill the Innsmouth track before calling the feds. But even with their intervention, things were bad : The psychanalist and the cultist tried to seal gates, but the first was lost in time and space and the second delayed while seven gates were open.

The psychic did good work to prevent the end game by countering fatal mythos cards, but the situation was tight : I need two extra seal to win. The terror and Innsmouth track began to rise out of control because of the devil’s reef and Yan Techno gates, since the monster surges I get gave me special movement monters on all gates EXCEPT those two ... but while the psychic tried to prevent the loss, the three others went to other world and only two has to make it. Again the time was short and the tension was tense.

The private eye came back and sealed the Witch House, and I got ... an opening at Dagon’s ... changed to a monster surge after the psychic’s intervention.
The cultist was delayed after failling a 4-dice-blessed roll but the psychanalist was doing fine. And the mythos was a +2 doom, changed to a failed gate opening and a succesful Rift opening at Wizard’s hill by the Psychic and her last clues.

The psuchanalist then came back ... and sealed the Marsh Refinery ! Victory while monster were roaming Innsmouth and Dunwich (7 monsters in Innmouth and ‘only’ 5 in Dunwich)

Score : 13 (Doom : 10/11, Gate sealed : 6, Terror : 7, Innsmouth track : 4, Dunwich track : 1/3, Monster trophies : 6, Gate trophies : 4)

Zhar is a nighmare... and I found myself lucky about never having a double gate opening. The worst I have was a gate followed by a surge. I was lucky too because each ‘fatal’ mythos was followed by a nonfatal one. The psychic rocks : 2 clues to cancel a nasty rumor or a loss is a more than fair price.

37 investigators, 19 GOO what will come next ?

ROUND 8 : Glaaki VS the Private Eye, the Redeemed Cultist, The Psychic, the Psychanalist
(Guardian : Bast)

Again, so starting sign and a starting gate at devil’s reef releasing Wizard Whateley and a deep one ... Sounds like fun ... ouch ...

Gardner’s place was opening too, and despite the private eye going to devil’s reef after 4 turns, terror rised to three because of the two starting monsters and a werewolf in Dunwich.
The psychanalist drove herself insane by dealing with the spawn monsters who forced everyone to lose unique and common items in addition to clues.

With everyone going to fail their personnal story, plan B were launch : make the private eye close 4 gates and complete the mission to close all gate in play.

But destiny was against this : the psychanalist was barred from the northside, and she couldn’t go to falcon point to retrive the private eye. And the doom track was rising with gate opening and double doom mythos ... Unless a good streak of monster surge happens soon, the game will going to the final fight.

After some extra useless ludicrous turn, the battle began, and investigators did their best but the card incresing the terror by two ruined their last hope and they died while Glaaki had only one doom counter left ...

Again a boring game, the private keept drawing OW encounters sending him LITAS, and after the three glaaki’s servant, other investigator hasn’t enough equipment, clues and money to deal with the board ... at least the final fight was tense and fun. Since how Glaaki was a cheating bastard during this game, I think victory should be mine.

As expected, Baast didn’t do a thing during the game.

Only 33 investigators ... chances to complete the campaign are getting lower and lower ... unless I get a dream team ...

ROUND 9 : Glaaki VS the Sailor, the Bootlegger, the Urchin and the Violonist
(Guardian : Baast)

Not so bad, at least I’m sure to have one elder sign and except the bootlegger, they seems pretty powerful..

And yes, so much option, so much things to do ... But the first priority was to give a press pass to the violonist, then despite the risk for him, the sailor went to Innsmouth to get the clues and kill the monsters, the Urchin was sent to the plateau of leng to seal the first gate and the bootlegger managed to complete a mision and pay back his bank loan ! With 14 clues gathered by the violonist, sealing wasn’t a problem for anyone, let’s hope the mythos will be kind for me this time.

It was not as kind as I was hoping : No surge, two double doom, Despiste sealing gates very fast, the doom track was raising fast too. Fortunatly, after the press pass, the violonist gate the illuminated manuscript giving her two clues per turn when she wasn’t able to get some from the board. That really helped for the cover-up rumor and everyone get blessed towards the end of game.

It didn’t help much the bootlegger: after an error of mine (forgetting to adjust his sliders) he was throwing only 1 dice to close a gate ... even blessed he failed. He has to wait three turn (and roll three dice) before sealing it on the last turn in the same time that the sailor sealed his one ar Marsh Refinery. And Glaaki fell.

Score : 22 (Doom : 10/12, Gate sealed : 6, Terror : 1, Innsmouth track : 1, Feds track : 5 Monster trophies : 5, Gate trophies : 6, 1 elder sign)

The combo ‘Violonist’ + ‘Press pass’ is very powerful. The bootlegger gets the carcosa book allowing him to redistribute easily various equipment. Despite have a terror of only 1, the final fight would have resulsted as a loss since no one had magical weapon (until the very end of the game (to complete the violonist story), despite lots of money, no one bothered to buy at the curiosity shop despite everyone having lots of money.

Only 18 GOO to go ! Will the 33 investigators able to complete the campaign ?

See you next time, for round 10 against Atlach Nacha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hankroyd wrote:

Only 33 investigators ... chances to complete the campaign are getting lower and lower ... unless I get a dream team ...

ROUND 9 : Glaaki VS the Sailor, the Bootlegger, the Urchin and the Violonist

Pretty close to a dream team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, but I think every team of 4 including the violonist, is pretty much a dream team ...

I mean she is almost a dream team by herself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Kiefer
United States
Fremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's all about the theme!
mbmbmbmbmb
The urchin is my favorite character. She'll usually seal 3 gates by herself. I really like Silas with or without Innsmouth and the bootlegger is always fun. I feel sorry cry for most of the Old Ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In Cognito
msg tools
The scoring seems a bit off, unless I fail at it. Let's take the latest scoring here:

12 from Glaaki + 6 from gate trophies + 1 from monsters (5/3). One mission from the story there. That's 20, from which you then take 1 from terror level, and 1 from the used elder sign. 18 points? Not 22?

Edit: ohhhh nevermind - +4 from surviving investigators, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep it makes 18 which I add +4 for each the 4 sane undevored investigators.

18 + 4 = 22

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In Cognito
msg tools
Yeah - I learned something new today thanks to these threads. I never subtract the terror level from the final scoring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With AH? There is always something new to learn.

I play it since 3 years, and a few weeks ago, I discovered here a rule from the base game that I completly forgotten (To my defense it was a rarely used rule : Investigator in LITAS are devoured when the GOO awaken.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.