Andrew Chapman
Australia
Norwood
SA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this possible for normal infantry units? Or armour? From the rules it's clear that rangers and commandos are able to do so, draw or not. But the rules say "...and there is no Advance after combat.... Bluffs are ignored for movement purposes when moving across a bluff hexside through a Draw." Does Advance After Combat count as movement? I figure it does, but I think the rule is somewhat ambiguous.

My apologies for the ridiculous number of questions, and my poor troops are barely off the beach (clearly some of them are still on it!).

Great game, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Holte
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Andrew,

Thanks - and don't worry about the questions - it's my pleasure to answer.

During the beach invasion sequence, there is no advance after combat; units may only do so in their move segment.

After that 6 June AM special turn, infantry and armor may advance after combat at a draw. Through a bluff without a draw, it is infantry-only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chapman
Australia
Norwood
SA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So after 6 June am, infantry can advance after combat up a 'drawless' bluff?

10.6 seems a bit ambiguous (ie "There is a -1 Fire Combat DRM to units firing up a Bluff hexside from the beach, and there is no Advance After Combat").

On a related note (related in that this question deals with 6 June am and after):

Terrain is ignored in target hexes (except for bluffs) during the invasion turns, but not thereafter. So on 6 June PM etc, units on the beach are now fired at using the -1 beach DRM, and strongpoints in farmland hexes on top of bluffs would receive a -2 DRM (for bluff and farmland), and strongpoints in villages in farmland on top of bluffs would get the full -3 DRM?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Holte
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Andrew,

Yes - it does put a bit of a priority to take out the SPs on those hexes (if possible)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United States
Walnut Creek
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the DRM for non-elevation based terrain (i.e., terrain other than bluffs or hills) is cumulative with villages and towns (maxed at +/-3 DRM)? I am more used to having a single terrain take priority.

I think the only terrains that overlap with villages and towns are farmland or bocage. So for instance a defender in a town in farmland terrain receives a -3 DRM (-2 DRM for town + -1 DRM for farmland) when attacked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Holte
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Alex,

Yes; the Germans used those mixed-terrain areas very effectively in defense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon White
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
But that's not what the rules say about bluff?

Quote:
There is a –1 Fire Combat DRM to units firing up a Bluff hexside
from the beach, and there is no Advance After Combat. Commando
and Ranger units ignore the –1 DRM and advance restrictions. Bluffs are ignored for movement purposes when moving across a Bluff hexside through a Draw.

According to this it seems to me that there is no advance after combat for any but commando and ranger. All the draw does is negate themovement penalty which isn't an issue for advance anyway. Is it your intention that draws also affect advance after combat and not just movement?

Cheers

Sheldon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Holte
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Sheldon,

You are correct; the main point I was trying to make was that there was no advance after combat during the invasion turn, and that armor can only move through the draws.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Satin Vicki
msg tools
Dan,

Can you please clarify this as the discussion above has confused me. Can infantry advance after combat across a bluff hexside in a turn after the initial invasion turn (i.e. a turn from PM 6 June onwards)?

Or, alternatively, can infantry advance after combat across a bluff hexside containing a draw in a turn after the initial invasion turn. Your initial reply above seemed to say yes, but the last post seems to throw some doubt on it.

This seems to be critically important to the Allies chances at Omaha Beach.

It seems rational that if you could move across the hexside, you should be able to advance after combat across it.

Any light you could shed on this would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Holte
United States
Fullerton
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
Can you please clarify this as the discussion above has confused me. Can infantry advance after combat across a bluff hexside in a turn after the initial invasion turn (i.e. a turn from PM 6 June onwards)?

No, but Rangers can. Infantry may move across it, but not advance after combat. It is a specific exception, and mentioned in 10.6.

Quote:
Or, alternatively, can infantry advance after combat across a bluff hexside containing a draw in a turn after the initial invasion turn. Your initial reply above seemed to say yes, but the last post seems to throw some doubt on it.

Yes. The draw is an opening in the bluffs (think of it like a valley)

Quote:
It seems rational that if you could move across the hexside, you should be able to advance after combat across it.

Small units, or units like Rangers specifically equipped and trained for it, yes. But an entire infantry battalion with heavy equipment would be a different story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sheldon White
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Could change the living rules to read:

Bluff hexsides containing a Draw are ignored for movement and advance
after combat purposes.

instead of

Bluffs are ignored for movement
purposes when moving across a Bluff hexside through a Draw.

Looks to me like it will fit too.

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
FieldMarshal Kholemann
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Under no circumstances in the 6/6 AM turn is there any advance after combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.