Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I admit, I have this on my radar for plundering it (prototype wants nice cards with perfect backs and size) - if I like it, I try to get two copies Anyway, I need the distribution of the different card backs, if there are any differences (I guess, there are).
So: How many cards have the same back image (and what kind of image)?
There are no photos making this clear (why should they?), so I hope, somebody could help me.

Thanks in advance and for the fastest answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve+Jackie McKeogh
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Daniel

It should have been an easy request, the game being about 30cm to the right of the computer keyboard! But it still took me 4 counts before I got the same total twice in succession!
There are 56 cards with a black/grey/white illustration of a multi-turreted castle in the background with a tied-up (with rope) Adlung symbol in the foreground - at a wild guess I think they were making it look like this was a bundle of wares that had fallen off the back of the wagon (probably not the best way to advertise a games company - our games are so good they get pushed off the wagon before it gets into town!). Those 56 are the 45 wares cards, the 4 merchants, the 5 ware markers and the 2 'set-up' instructions.
Then there are 9 cards showing an identical section of cart-wheel and 1 showing a black-and-white 'Jakob der Reiche' picture.

Hope that helps
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

So, this one here 56 times in the same way - great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
duchamp wrote:
I admit, I have this on my radar for plundering it (prototype wants nice cards with perfect backs and size) - if I like it, I try to get two copies

Ack! You're plundering an unavailable game that was removed from production due to legal issues? One you can't get anymore? soblue

I'm glad I have it, but they have been difficult to find for a couple of years now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, as I said - if it is good to play, I get two of them - somewhere! I just realized, that this is OOP - we`ll see, how lucky I am.

Legal issues?

Oh, I see - Fuggers complained about using their name - Isn`t this only "historical" I mean, "Thurn und Taxis" did not complain, AFAIK ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
duchamp wrote:
Oh, I see - Fuggers complained about using their name - Isn`t this only "historical" I mean, "Thurn und Taxis" did not complain, AFAIK ...

Of course they didn't - because the publisher made the game with permission from the current heir: Fürstin Gloria von Thurn und Taxis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve+Jackie McKeogh
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel - Die Fugger uses standard Adlung card-size and quality and they all use pretty much the same number of cards, so you should be able to 'raid' a more easily available game. I didn't realise this was hard to get. For example (simply because it is 2cm away from Die Fugger!), Im Bann der Pyramide has 54 cards with identical backs (this time the Adlung symbol is inlaid into the side of a pyramid). Of course, if you plundered this game, in order to avoid the Pharaoh's curse you would have to buy one extra copy to keep to play (actually just my curse because it being a typically very good Wolfgang Kramer game, this is the only way I could endorse such a sacrilege!).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to have these backs, because my game is themed "being on the road in the 17th century". Plus, the cards are the perfect size!

If you know any other game with cards that size having such a nice back (rather "drawing" than "painting") and a road plus city on it, let ne know.

Now you ask, why I don`t create the backs by myself, as I probably do with the fronts. Right you are. But the "double thickness" by mounting the front images on the cards, is really "thick enough" - to create backs and mount them, too, would be a bit too much.

BTW, I don`t feel uncomfortable because of plundering any game for prototyping. I bought some copies of Robber Knights for4 5 Euros, just because the mny wooden discs - much cheaper than to order by "spielmaterial.de". or the great card backs of Lost Cities! You get this game so cheap everywhere - so what?

Of course, if I find something else, or Fugger is just too nice to play, bad luck then and a game more in my accumulation of games ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
Great Dane wrote:
duchamp wrote:

Of course they didn't - because the publisher made the game with permission from the current heir: Fürstin Gloria von Thurn und Taxis

Explain this legal need for permission. Must history book writers also receive advance permission before publishing something about an historical figure?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
Explain this legal need for permission. Must history book writers also receive advance permission before publishing something about an historical figure?

Sure. In Denmark, and apparently also in Germany, names are protected.
So no-one else (in Denmark) may call themselves 'Svellov' and no-one can use a family name without consent from at least one member of the family.

In the cases of 'Fugger', 'Thurn und Taxis' or 'Svellov' this is easily protected as the families are small. It will be more difficult to protect more common names like 'Hans Christian Andersen'

There is a difference between faction and fiction.
You may of course write a factual book about the Fuggers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.