9 Posts

Pandemic» Forums » Reviews

Subject: Two and only Two rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I first played Pandemic it was in a four player game. There were two experienced players and two new to the game (one of them being me). The theme did not do too much for me and despite all the wooden cubes that I love the art and components did little to draw me in. It did not take long for the two that had played before to get excited and start more or less playing the game by themselves. In fact by the end I think the other new player was in a different room and the others were playing for him entirely.

Needless to say this left me a little put off by the game and I did not play it again for quite some time. When I did play it again it was in a two player game. I was immediately engaged as we asked each other what the best move might be, when to play special event cards and so on. There were so many choices in the game and doom seemed to be creeping in at a steady pace. It was one of the best and most enjoyable gaming sessions I have ever had. In fact I went out and bought the game the next day.

Now I have played the game more times than I can count (always with two). There is a simplicity and elegance in this game I have not seen in any other. It is as many have stated before me "easy to learn but hard to master." The different roles and event cards keep the game fresh and forces you to change strategies each and every time you play.

CONCLUSION:
I am not sure if I would ever play this game with more than two. It is however my favorite two player game and as such for me a perfect 10 out of 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
While I agree that is a near perfect two player experience (though much easier to beat the game!!), I thoroughly enjoy it with all numbers.
I highly recommend though, never to play with open hands and have all conversations while staying within the role (e.g. "Could you meet me for a conference in Paris next week?").
This keeps the game more thematic and makes it harder for any player to become overbearing.
Still, if someone is hellbent on dominating there is, unfortunately , still a lot of room for him/her to destroy the experience for others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Jackson
United Kingdom
Bath
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The possibility of certain players becoming too dominant in this game is, in my opinion, one of its biggest flaws. But I think that's inevitable for a cooperative game, and it's nothing to do with the number of players involved - it's quite possible to have one person dominating a 2-player game, or to have a very balanced and democratic 5-player game.

You just need to be mindful of this when you're playing this game, especially if you're an experienced player teaching newcomers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Metzler
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Are you pondering what I'm pondering Pinky?"
badge
"Wuhhh... I think so, Brain, but if a ham can operate a radio, why can't a pig set a VCR?"
mbmbmbmbmb
moik wrote:
The possibility of certain players becoming too dominant in this game is, in my opinion, one of its biggest flaws. But I think that's inevitable for a cooperative game, and it's nothing to do with the number of players involved - it's quite possible to have one person dominating a 2-player game, or to have a very balanced and democratic 5-player game.

You just need to be mindful of this when you're playing this game, especially if you're an experienced player teaching newcomers.

This isn't a flaw in the game, its a flaw in humans...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Penny
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that two player games are very enjoyable. I played it once with 3 player on bsw and was not very pleasant. I don't know why maybe because I tend to be more dominant or just can't stand it when some people makes stupid moves that makes no snese. I think I will stick with 2 player games with my husband. It is one of the best 2 player games we've bought and it is really fun to cooperate instead of compete.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Riley
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PasiMax wrote:
I highly recommend though, never to play with open hands and have all conversations while staying within the role (e.g. "Could you meet me for a conference in Paris next week?").

I cannot imagine playing with closed hands. Since it is a fully cooperative game (with no traitors, no single winner), anything less than full cooperation is detrimental to the theme of CDC personnel saving the planet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Giroir
United States
Mission Viejo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kittyangel wrote:
I agree that two player games are very enjoyable. I played it once with 3 player on bsw and was not very pleasant. I don't know why maybe because I tend to be more dominant or just can't stand it when some people makes stupid moves that makes no snese. I think I will stick with 2 player games with my husband. It is one of the best 2 player games we've bought and it is really fun to cooperate instead of compete.

I couldn't imagine playing Pandemic on BSW. I would probably hate it. We play with closed hands (which I like) but only with my local gaming groups (all friends). I could easily imaging hating this game if I was playing with some people I don't get along with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It works well on bsw. I always play with open hands. it seems awkward if you do not, and in my opinion does not make a huge difference, just saves time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Verhaevert
Belgium
Merchtem
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think most of it depends on the people you're playing with, not the game.
But since it is a coop game some extent of cooperation is needed. I played 2 - 3 and 4 player gamesand if you get everybody involved from the beginning no one feels surpassed or the need to run in front.

imho an excellent game that you can use to start a teambuildingexperience at work.

Don't you know more about a man by playing an hour with him instead of talking to him for an hour?

See it as an opportunity to learn the characters of the people you're playing with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.