Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I also think it is a bad idea. Even though they are physically two different boxes they are still the same game. Splitting all discussion and files and reviews will just lead confusion concerning the game and its ranking.

Besides, now the picture gallery is full of pictures that have absolutely nothing to do with Guild Dwarves VS Cave Goblins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
DeePee wrote:
Yes, I also think it is a bad idea. Even though they are physically two different boxes they are still the same game. Splitting all discussion and files and reviews will just lead confusion concerning the game and its ranking.

Besides, now the picture gallery is full of pictures that have absolutely nothing to do with Guild Dwarves VS Cave Goblins.

Yep. I think it is time to request a single entry for each of the Magic The Gathering starter set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it should be split, but when I suggested it in this post there was a clear majority who prefered only one entry for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only benefit to this is that rules questions will be better organized this way than if all the factions were on one page. This is especially so given that people often don't use adequately descriptive subject headers in their posts about rules questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hatchling wrote:
The only benefit to this is that rules questions will be better organized this way than if all the factions were on one page.

Until it is a question about how a dwarf unit interacts with an elf unit. Sometimes the question is as simple how a card/rule acts alone, but not always. This makes it harder to find questions and answers-- since now a user needs to look in both places for past questions asked. As more stuff comes out, there is more forums to keep track of...

I vote for this as a bad idea.

Is the mercenary promo getting his own entry? Where does questions on him and future individual cards go?

I like to keep track of my plays with some detail. This makes it more awkward. Geekdo's system isn't flexible enough for that.

I have trouble seeing the benefit. Other games that have this split see very little activity for spinoffs from the main entries.

Yuck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cookinjr wrote:
Hatchling wrote:
The only benefit to this is that rules questions will be better organized this way than if all the factions were on one page.

Until it is a question about how a dwarf unit interacts with an elf unit. Sometimes the question is as simple how a card/rule acts alone, but not always. This makes it harder to find questions and answers-- since now a user needs to look in both places for past questions asked. As more stuff comes out, there is more forums to keep track of...

Good point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Splitting it makes it easier to list them in math trades, and to look for a specific set when seeking out trade partners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiorgos Golfinopoulos
Greece
Patras
GREECE
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't think of any reason at all to split the entries. Not even trades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Splitting = BAD

1) Where do generic rules questions go -- in the Dwarves v. Goblins entry, or in the Orcs v. Elves entry? If I'm a new player looking for answers, this is just freaking annoying to need to look in two spots.

2) Where do the files go? There are plenty of files (rules summaries, FAQs, etc...) that apply to both sets. Do we duplicate these files on both entries, or again expect that folks should look in multiple places?

3) This also risks splitting the game ranking vote. I doubt all the folks who have chimed in on their opinions for the base game are going to come back and update their rankings for the needless second game entry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Nuts wrote:
Splitting it makes it easier to list them in math trades, and to look for a specific set when seeking out trade partners.

I would rather the system favor the people who play the game, and not the people looking to trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cookinjr wrote:
Mr_Nuts wrote:

I would rather the system favor the people who play the game, and not the people looking to trade.

I'm not making the changes, just pointing out the benefits for me.

As a side note, I expected to find an entry for Phoenix Elves vs Tundra Orcs and was surprised that there wasn't one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I submitted a request to change the name of the game back to "Summoner Wars" again.

I'm not sure who changed it to "Summoner Wars : Guild Dwarves vs. Cave Goblins" but I'd like to know where to direct my verbal slap. There used to be a "wiki" process where one could see the history of changes by username, but it appears this has gone away in favor of an admin-moderated process.

Funny that this happened though, because (in theory) an admin-moderated editing process should prevent this kind of random change, rather than enable it. Instead, it looks like its just going to impede the correction rather than prevent the problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek D
United Kingdom
Maidenhead
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 vote for returning to a single entry - pretty much for all the reasons already stated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Nuts wrote:
I'm not making the changes, just pointing out the benefits for me.

I understand, and I apologize if my tone sounded confrontational.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sitz
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm all for going back to one entry, especially since... well, there isn't a second one!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cookinjr wrote:
Mr_Nuts wrote:

That's what i thought.

At the moment BGG does not support well the entry splitting, it is not giving the user the possibility to create cross-posted forum threads, so splitting just damages the fruibility of discussions and informations, and brings to duplicate file entries, discussions and so on.

In a single word: right now splitting is BAD.

I also expressed my "disagreement" here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This may not be part of a master plan to split up the game-- it could be a matter that someone submitted a name "correction" due to the representative image.

Hopefully it will be cleared up soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raviv Nagel
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cookinjr wrote:
This may not be part of a master plan to split up the game-- it could be a matter that someone submitted a name "correction" due to the representative image.

Hopefully it will be cleared up soon.

The other starter set is in the pending list, so I guess whoever submitted a name change also submitted the other starter set as a separate game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Dauch
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm for keeping it as one entry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cookingham
United States
Poughkeepsie
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that seems to be resolved. You should have posted much sooner Colby!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay, we're back to normal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Castelli
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cbs42 wrote:
Yay, we're back to normal!

Uh?

Right now that I prepared an example about how bad splitting is with Scary Tales: Snow White vs. The Giant and Scary Tales: Little Red vs. Pinocchio cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Sorry about that folks. I don't have my finger on the pulse of this game and I thought it was a legitimate split like the Scary Tales Series. All fixed now.

BTW, we should be rolling out versions soon, so we can subdivide the starter sets within this entry while still keeping the data aggregated.

---

Edited to add -- hilarious that the example that I put up for a legitimately split game is criticized in a post that sprung up just previous to mine as I was in the middle of writing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
Castef wrote:
In a single word: right now splitting is BAD.

That's five words.

You raise a good point though. Once they revamp the system so that the forums, file, etc... are shared across entries in the same family, then splitting won't cause a big problem. Although I have to ask: If everything is shared across game entries, then what's the point of splitting them in the first place?

I suppose, in theory, it would be possible to allow the creator of an image/post/rating/file to decide upon creation whether the contribution is game-family-wide or just for the specific entry. That way, when you look at a given game entry, you'll see all of the general shared stuff, as well as specific contributions for that particular game entry. I'm not sure such a system would stay very clean over time though. It seems like there's potential to have quite a mess after a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.