Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Haesendonckx
Belgium
Antwerp - Schoten
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

As an ex-gamecompany owner, I have some experience with creating games.

Also, we have made a complete Battlelore port forNapoleonics that works very well.

I would like to suggest that the community just comes with their own rules for different races.

I'm wondering if there are other experienced battlelore gamers who are prepared to form a think-tank to come up with an 'unofficial' but widely approved sets of races.

We might even consider clearly stating where you can find the appropriate models for each race.

If enough people have some time on their hands and would like to help set it up, I would suggest we started this.

If there's anyone seriously interested, post here.

Poll
Which races would you like to see first?
High Elves
Wood Elves
Dark Elves
Orcs
Undead
Lizardmen
Chaos/Dark Side
Complete Dwarves
Complete Empire/Humans
Complete Goblins
Ratmen/Skaven
Other Fantasy Race
      101 answers
Poll created by Silverwings

This game has a good community behind it...so let's use it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's wait and see what FFG has to say about the future of BattleLore.
We will probably get some news today or tomorrow as to how they plan on handling the franchise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lewis
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I've got a compilation of races I've knocked out before, give me two ticks I'll dig up a link >whistles< here it is
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/35034/battlelore-creat....
They all have miniatures out there in the world and/or I have made counters that could be used as proxies.
Somewhere on line are my rules for errr Free Lances

Just so you know I am getting close to finishing my siege 'expansion', I also need to revisit my rules to sort out a few clarifications arising from questions I've had (and rename my Wyverns to Wyrms to avoid confustion with the Dragon expansion)

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lewis
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dbc- wrote:
We will probably get some news today or tomorrow as to how they plan on handling the franchise.

I guess you haven't been around the franchise as long as some, news today / tomorrow for any other game, for Battlelore give it a few months. And I'm one of the committed (see above) optimistic ones
Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Rathgeb
Germany
Erbach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup for Chris - already through with translating the campaign into German (thanks for permission), edited some features, maps and ambiguities, playtested (Thanks to my fellows @ http://www.worldofbattlelore.de) and added some features from playtesting.

@Chris: I "repainted" the maps with Hexographer and original BL-Graphics - if you want them, feel free to PM me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
elberon wrote:
dbc- wrote:

I guess you haven't been around the franchise as long as some, news today / tomorrow for any other game, for Battlelore give it a few months. And I'm one of the committed (see above) optimistic ones
Chris

Oh, I have been around since the very beginning.
I just find the current uproar a bit premature. I want to see an official statement about Battlelore/Westeros before I make up my mind. I am pretty sure the announcement is just around the corner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diaper
Sweden
stockholm
flag msg tools
I don´t know if I can contribute much, but I think Silverwings idea is great.

Both DoW and now FFG has had plenty of time to develop battlelore but nothing has happened.

I haven´t investigated much of the fan-made races och scenarios up to now, since I´ve been waiting for the official word. But if there was "an 'unofficial' but widely approved sets of races", I´d be happy to stop the endless waiting and start using them instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bollen wrote:
I don´t know if I can contribute much, but I think Silverwings idea is great.

Count me in along these lines too. I don't have a lot of time at the moment, nor foreseeable future, for a ton of creative input, but I would be thrilled to do some playtesting via Vassal, etc.

I have been very reticent to get involved with "fan-created" stuff for BL, as I know that Richard Borg has a much deeper version of the game going. But seems clear to me now that official versions of races and their respective deployment cards are not making the light of day any time soon, if at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
dbc- wrote:
elberon wrote:
dbc- wrote:

Chris

Oh, I have been around since the very beginning.
I just find the current uproar a bit premature. I want to see an official statement about Battlelore/Westeros before I make up my mind. I am pretty sure the announcement is just around the corner.

Well, here it is:

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=1122

It doesn't sound particularly hopeful does it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Rathgeb
Germany
Erbach
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, and it looks even worse for German fans. Still we have the largest Battlelore online community www.worldofbattlelore.de with Battlelore league etc, but we're not worth it to get German issues of the things to come

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Haesendonckx
Belgium
Antwerp - Schoten
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Thanks for voting and reaction everyone.

We can anounve that work has begunon a first faction.

We picked the 'Undead' as they rank top on our Poll.

Please continue voting as we can adapt our next race yet.

Look forward to get updates on the races and a final upload when the rules are done.

Thanks for all help,

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Whitney
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm...not sure I see the point of this poll other than it's a statement that BL players have lost confidence in FFG delivering new races. I'd agree with that sentiment and doubt new races will emerge from the confines of FFG. I've downloaded the work that Chris has done and it's very comprehensive. I've also noted that the 3 races that received the most votes in this poll are already in Chris's Race document - so there isn't much to be started.

Rather than making grand announcements and reinventing the wheel, IMO what would be more helpful is if people actually play-tested the races within Chris' race document. I'd be willing to do some play-testing, but to be honest, with my work schedule and travel, it'd be a lot easier for me if those races were available for the Vassal module.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully it won't be re-inventing the wheel - though in some regards it is, as Richard Borg already has rule sets for many of the races.

The purpose of the poll is to see which races most are anxious to see first, and then get some people together to begin some consensus building about how those races should look on the board. Chris is currently involved in this.

A lot of the discussion will be about whether additional Lore Masters will be involved, how integral are Heroes to army builds, how to adapt Call to Arms deployment decks to races, does each race have a "musical unit", etc. - in addition to the important questions about what the defining characteristics of a particular race are, and how to model those through the existing BattleLore mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Whitney
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toddrew wrote:
Hopefully it won't be re-inventing the wheel - though in some regards it is, as Richard Borg already has rule sets for many of the races.

The purpose of the poll is to see which races most are anxious to see first, and then get some people together to begin some consensus building about how those races should look on the board. Chris is currently involved in this.

A lot of the discussion will be about whether additional Lore Masters will be involved, how integral are Heroes to army builds, how to adapt Call to Arms deployment decks to races, does each race have a "musical unit", etc. - in addition to the important questions about what the defining characteristics of a particular race are, and how to model those through the existing BattleLore mechanics.

Todd that sounds good; sounds like the process is further along than the impression I was given from the OP. It's unfortunate the BattleLore community can't get access to what race work Borg's already done - I'd expect that's intellectual property that went along with the sale to FFG. However, from my time as a Star Wars Miniatures player I can say I've seen some incredible work done by the fanbase. In fact "outstanding" and "astonishing" are words I'd use to describe some of the better SWM fan projects.

This was mentioned in one of Chris' posts
elberon wrote:
They all have miniatures out there in the world and/or I have made counters that could be used as proxies.

I didn't see any links in any of the docs to sources for these minatures - any idea where they can be obtained?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin N
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm curious about minis, too. Does anyone have a decent source of similar scale (preferably plastic) minis for new races? In some senses, its easier to make rules when you're constrained by actually having a piece for it. I did a little digging on my own, and Caesar Miniatures has a line of 1/72 ('HO') scale plastics. Does anyone know how they compare scale-wise to the BL minis?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Whitney
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I found these pictures in a post made about 1-1/2 years ago by a BGG'er named earache. They're side -by- side comparisons of some 20mm figures (from Caesar Miniatures) next to BattleLore figures. Earache sculpted the bases for the 3rd party figures.

They look to me to be a close enough match, expecially when you consider that individual BL figures actually represent units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Haesendonckx
Belgium
Antwerp - Schoten
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're looking for mini's, this site contains a lot of usefull info:

http://sites.google.com/site/15mmfantasy/15mmfantasyranges

As said above, Caesar miniatures offers a realy nice selection. There is only 1 problem with those: they are all infantry...so you will have to get cavalry from another brand.

Caesar links:

http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/ShowFeature.aspx?id=39

Undead:

http://www.miniknight.com/images/F103/103.jpg

Elves:

http://www.miniknight.com/images/F102/102.jpg

Orcs:

http://www.miniknight.com/images/F106/106.jpg

Dwarves:

http://www.miniknight.com/images/F101/101.jpg

Goblins:

http://www.miniknight.com/images/F105/105.jpg

Hope this helps...

Tom

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.