Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Lock
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My question is more along the lines of, Should I expand my Dominion experience or start down a new game/expansion path?? Given that I have limited time to play games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Pasi
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
Ka Mate Ka Mate
badge
Ka Ora Ka Ora
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that is a hard question since both games are completely different beasts.
I would definitely go for the latter option, though.
Mind, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the seaside expansion, but with RftG you get a whole new...well galaxy.
Having limited time is not that big of a problem, though there is the question, whether you are willing to "invest" a bit of your time into learning a fairly complex new game (and there is the iconology in RftG which according to most can be somewhat puzzling; I find it to be quite straightforward and very well done).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get Seaside, it really changes the dynamics of the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Walker
United States
North Andover
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
So many douchebags, so few bullets.
mbmbmbmbmb
Seaside!

Poll
Which should mlock buy next?
Dominion: Seaside
Race for the Galaxy
      63 answers
Poll created by hatemachine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Lock
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks guys, and thanks for the pole! I appreciate it. I think that I will get Seaside, I do love Dominion... and Galaxy will be there for later. Cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Cabral
United States
Bristol
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlock wrote:
Thanks guys, and thanks for the pole! I appreciate it. I think that I will get Seaside, I do love Dominion... and Galaxy will be there for later. Cheers.

Good choice. Obviously if you go for Race and don't like it, you won't be happy. But if you get Race and enjoy it, then you'll be having to choose either Race expansions or Dominion expansions. Bah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When in doubt I feel it is better to buy the new game instead of the expansion. Go with Race for the Galaxy! It is a great game, the I find better then Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Lafayette
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was in a similar situation recently, with trying to choose between these two. Ultimately I chose Race because I figured that if I had to ask myself whether to choose a new game or an expansion, I should obviously go for the new game.

I've only had the opportunity to play one game of Race, and although the rules and iconography were a little difficult to grasp at first, after the first few rounds my girlfriend and I had a decent understanding of it. I'm actually really glad I made this decision because we enjoyed Race so much the first time that it might end up replacing Dominion as our "go-to quick card game."

It's a tough choice to make but I'd go for Race.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Henke
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would try Keldon's Race for the Galaxy AI http://keldon.net/rftg/ to get a feel for the game and then decide.

Also keep in mind who you're going to play with and if they're more likely to try the new game or stick with the old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bert Nerdsen
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Squirrel of Doom wrote:
I would try Keldon's Race for the Galaxy AI http://keldon.net/rftg/ to get a feel for the game and then decide.

Also keep in mind who you're going to play with and if they're more likely to try the new game or stick with the old.

Good suggestion, Sebastian, but you should mention that this experience can be somewhat frustrating even for experienced players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Squirrel of Doom wrote:

I second this. I own Race and play Dominion at my FLGS.
Keldon's is how is learned to play.

People try to compare the two, but they are similar not enough (IMHO) to do so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.