Popular Tags: tournament [+] [View All]
Igor Mustac
Italy
Bologna
BO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everybody,

I would like to hear some comments and suggestions from the community about a Ticket to Ride (original USA map) quick tournament I'm organizing in my town in Italy.

There will be something like 10 players and not so much time (something like 3 or 4 hours maximum).

Usually in a tournament there are like 3 games for each set of players (for example the first 5 players is going to play 3 games; the winner gains 5 points, the second 3 points, the third 1 point. Same thing for the second set of 5 players, and then in the end the first 2 players of each set makes a final game).

I can't organize a tournament like than (because of time limit AND a single copy of the game) so the first thing is that every player would play just 1 game in the qualifying part of the tournament, two sets of 5 players each = 2 qualifying games.

How can i choose the 4 best players for a final game?
Problems:
- how to equally distribute the tickets between the 5 players for a good balance?
- random assigned tickets? (balance problems)
- the winner is...? the one with most points?

I hope someone can really help me about this "problem"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you should play each game normally, so all random tickets. I'd have the winner of each game advance to the final game, and then the next two highest scores from either game as well. You could also just do the top two from each game. The winner would be the one with the most points in the final game.

There are many ways to do it, and they should all end up working pretty similarly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Brousseau
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
1. Random tickets. With only one qualifying game before the finals, there is going to be some luck. That is part of the game, and if players know how to play it properly, there is no ticket-rigging scheme that will work exactly the way you want, and may actually introduce more luck in the game.

2. Top 2 from each game should get to the final game. The final score is heavily dependent on the strategies played. Finishing quickly is usually an advantage in TTR but it ensures lower total scores for everyone (as opposed to heavy ticket drawing). Finishing 2nd in such a group is likely a more significant accomplishment than finishing 3rd with a final score of 150.

3. Find another copy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Mustac
Italy
Bologna
BO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you guys

Lol, well, finding another copy isn't so easy except buying it
Ok, so all games played normally, with the original game rules.

Oh, how about letting players choose at least one initial ticket from the tickets deck? And then other two ticket is randomly drawn so they can choose if keeping the second (and maybe the third) ticket too?

It's because some players told me to try eliminating the "random factor" somehow

If it's possibile...if it isn't...oh, welldevil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
damnpixel wrote:
It's because some players told me to try eliminating the "random factor" somehow
That's part of the game. Tell them to deal with it. If they're good players they will be able to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Mustac
Italy
Bologna
BO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
puck71 wrote:
damnpixel wrote:
That's part of the game. Tell them to deal with it. If they're good players they will be able to.

You're right laugh
Ok, well thank you everybody cool
whitetrainpurpletrainblacktrainyellowtrainbluetraingreentrainredtrain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.