Subject: Strategy oriented version rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alessio Serafini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I accept Quest for the DragonLords for what it is: a chaotic galore of fantasy randomness, which can be fun if played with the right spirit and crew. I even think there actually is an element of strategy to it (you want to bide your time and strike in the right place at the right moment...), and do not share the view of those that have dismissed this game as "broken".

Having said that, although I do accept this game for what it is, my fellow gamers would absolutely not, and I cannot blame them. The mere thought that the event on which the game largely hinges (finding a DragonLord) is essentially as likely on turn 1 as on turn 57, was just intolerable to most of them. I reckon no proper "strategic" player (I tend to play for the experience) can happily tolerate this (or scroll cards that can kill 1d12 units anywhere on the board for that matter...), hence the claim the game is broken.

Now what happened to me is that, notwithstanding my group's reluctance to even spot QftD on a shelf (they seem to consider it as a threat, even if tucked into its boxes and far away from the table), I still grew a sort of uncanny attraction towards it, partly fostered by its author's dedication and enthusiasm. So, I ended up owning all of the four sets.

What to do with them? I WANTED to see all that marvelous, deliciously incongruous fantasy stuff on a table (especially the Advanced Game's minis: they are essentially what this is all about!), and I WANTED to play with it. Given that finding other people with whom to play this didn't seem that easy, the only solution I could see was to design a different game to be played with QftD components. I thus came up with a "Strategy Oriented Version" - which you can find in the Files section below - where I try to maintain the spirit of the original game while making it more attractive to strategic players.

It proved to be a very difficult endeavour: although the game has been playtested a reasonable number of times and has undergone substantial development, it still has some problems and could still be improved with relatively minor amendments. It is however, at least in my honest opinion, finally a "proper game".

One of the issues that were raised during the last play-testing session, for instance, is that I included "too much stuff" in the game. I did this deliberately, because the reason I designed this game in the first place was precisely that I had all the components and I wanted to see them all on the table. However, the game does not need to be played with full components: at the end of the rules, modifications to adapt the game to games without the expansions or with First-edition components are described in detail.

So, finally, here is the Strategy Oriented Version of Quest for the Dragonlords: I hope some of you dragongamers wanting a more strategic DragonLords experience will find it of some use, and will possibly help me to improve it through feedback and ideas.

alessio
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.