John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Last week we had cold temps and snow. Last Wednesday afternoon my head stopped up and I developed a cough and it hurt when I coughed. I bought some OTC meds and like a good soldier, I decided to tough it out. Thursday I coughed less but it hurt a lot more in my chest and throat. I was chilling and had sore joints. My voice had dropped a perfect 4th and picked up a ton of river gravel.

Side bar: My boss was with me when a waitress told me my voice sounds just like Ray Romano - just not as whiny. He and I got into a discussion of manly voices and we agree Sam Elliot and Robert Mitchum have the two most manly man voices.

My boss is a colorful short bull of a man. I like him a lot. He has a lot of stories. He grew up in a logging camp in the Pacific Northwest in the Fifties, went into the Navy at 17 to avoid reform school, did 3 tours of duty on aircraft carriers off Viet Nam, became a cop and on and on. He told us that when he was a cop he wrote the training manual for the Baton. I almost asked him how high he could throw it and still catch it but thought better of it.

Anyway he had all tough guy jobs in his younger days, rumor is he once survived an autopsy. I asked myself what would an old school logger do about a sore throat. Maybe the same thing they do when they cut themselves? - so I poured alcohol on it and sewed it shut with fishing line.

Just kidding, I came home early and took a nap still determined to tough it out with OTC meds and some rest. I had a major appointment on Friday morning with my boss. It was a potential big deal and I wanted him involved early. I went to the office, called my doctor and got an appointment for after the appointment.

We took separate cars to a McDonald's near the appointment. He's my age and doesn't like to step down into vehicle so I got in his truck. We were talking about the account and my voice was getting lower and hoarser. I asked if I sounded like Sam or Robert and he said, "No."

We met our contact there who apologized profusely for having us drive all the way out there. She had just gotten a call that morning that her boss had just signed leases for 4 new big 90 ppm Ricoh copiers the day before. She was pissed and disappointed, she is an ex-copier salesman herself, and had already done the research and knew what Xerox's she wanted. She was charged with investigating this project, spent hours researching and choosing models and vendors and setting an appointment and got preempted. And $60,000 sale down the tubes.

The boss and I split up after that. I felt awful. I got the email from my daughter-in-law and called the former Mrs. Scrib to make sure she got it, too. My ex said, "I didn't recognize your voice. I said, "My real voice is in the shop. This is a rental. It's supposed to sound like Sam Elliot." "Who's that?" "Nevermind." And we discussed the email.

Went to my doctor. I had a fever. The doctor gave me a flu test and a chest x-ray. This is what we know. It's not the flu. It may be viral or not. It may or may not be a touch of pneumonia. She couldn't tell from the X-rays. So I got a script for some heavy duty cough medicine an anti-biotic, orders to take my temperature everyday and call Monday afternoon for the x-ray results.

I spent the weekend eating, sleeping and surfing BGG. It's a rainy day and temps are falling. I still rattle a bit when I cough so I stayed home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Let us know the x-ray results and stay in bed!!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jared to start bitching about long posts in 3...2...1...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like posting under the influence of medication...

just kidding - hope you feel better soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scribidinus is a shortened form of Scribidinus Prolificus, pseudo Latin for "one who writes a lot." An former coworker pinned that on me ten years ago for a reason.

That said, I remember the days before Forums, RSP and Chit Chat when there was a section called Journals. People posted personal stories and anecdotes ...(why do I hear Garrison Keillor's voice in my mind) in their journals. Geeks who could string thoughtful words together from individually selected letters were admired. There were no Thumbs. And people read these journal entries and offered thoughtful comments. If a geek liked something he or she read, they took time to express that in thoughtful words constructed from individually selected letters. Rarely did anyone post thoughtless comments because BGG was small. We knew our neighbors and they knew us. Posts would move down the front page at leisurely pace as if the Front page was published weekly like a small town newspaper. Then the geeks with attention deficit disorder or attention starvation complexes started to move in. I remember posting a rant the first time one of these new kids posted twelve times in one day. Each post was a different one idea post. I remember thinking who has to post everything he thinks the second he thinks it? There's only 25 slots available. How rude to push someone else's carefully crafted stories off the front page just to say "Look at me!" Look at me now" "I'm up here now!"

My own posts were divided into three sections. Game related stuff was first. Personal anecdotes were in the middle and goofy humor at the bottom.

Now I'm channeling Clint Eastwood. "Get off my lawn."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What time do you get the X-ray results?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They didn't go out until this morning. So it looks like Thursday. I'm going back to work tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.