M Loebach
Canada
Crysler
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
goo

Please thumb up thumbsup this post to attract more gamers.

goo

-----------------------------------------------------------

Given that last weeks quiz scared off a few of you, I shortened it for this week.

Has anyone heard anything on a Summer Ludo?

Here is a link on Copyright that has a great comment on what pirates get and paying customers get....
When will boardgame companies start this 'buy used surcharge'?

Still have not seen any word on Toys on Fire session, will keep you posted.

Any more on Cangames?

This Week’s Session is on Wednesday February 24th.
We start around 6:30.
We usually go until 9:30 or 10:00pm.

The address is:
Canadian Legion Branch 480 - Westboro, 389 Richmond Road, upstairs
There is usually a dinner deal downstairs.
Please bring $2.00 for the Legion

BRINGEES!!

I recently picked up a copy of Infinite City.
Think of it as Carcassonne with a lot more direct interaction.
The tiles are quite beautiful, and are sturdy enough to be used as a hand weapon. I'll bring it along.

If YOU are bringing along something different, or have a hankerin' for a specific game and want someone to bring it along tonight, POST IT!

Most members are pretty good about bringing a request out, even if they don't want to play the game themselves.

MEMBERSHIP IS OPTIONAL - BUT CAN HAVE IT'S PRIVELEDGES!

Membership provides discounts at local retailers through a membership card system.

There are two options:
1. $5.00 to Steve Larkin in Kanata. This entitles you to the cards
2. Prepay 3 weeks for the Legion (3 X $2.00 = $6.00). This entitles you to the cards and provides three weeks of dues to the Legion.

Recommendations are as follows:
If you are going to play at the Legion at least once, I would do the prepay.
However, if you are in the west end and do not plan to go to the Legion, I would just pay the $5.00 to Steve at the Glen.
Steve goes by srlarkin on BGG.

Just geekmail or ask at a session if you are interested in the membership discount cards.

THE THREE QUESTION QUIZ:

Poll
A quiz with three questions.
1. Pick One
Eurogame
Wargame
2. What is the most you will pay for 95% of your game purchases?
$25 or less
$26 to $50
$50 to $100
Unlimited
3. Time -- A good game, where players are all familiar with the rules, should last.
15 - 30 minutes
30 minutes to 1 hour
1 hour to 2 hours
2 hours - 6 hours
More than six hours
      23 answers
Poll created by MrZoz

UPCOMING EVENTS

1. Cangames Approaches!!
Be ready and catch up on your sleep for you will get none at the curling rink, er, I mean converted amphitheater of gaming!!

If YOU have an upcoming event, please post it here and I will do my best to add it to the posting for the next session.

>>>>>> A LITTLE BIT OF BACKGROUND ON OUR GROUP

The Ottawa Games Group was founded more than ten years ago as a way for Axis and Allies players to play (and for those of us who did not know how to play at the time it was a opportunity to finally learn how to play it).

The original meeting place was at the Montana’s on Hunt Club and Bank.
However, in a twist of fate the initial turnout was so high that I ended up hosting Risk and Risk 2210 sessions alongside the Axis and Allies board. Eventually games like History of the World, Naval War, Lord of the Rings, and Settlers of Catan were brought out.

One of the notable regulars was TheRatKing (not real name, really) and his wife. They would drive about an hour all the way out to South Ottawa for two to three hours of gaming. The other notable regular was William Chappell, Owner of the now Hobby Centre on Roydon. Bill has over the years provided the group with Games like Queens Gambit and History of the World and Tannhauser.

Eventually the group became a victim of Montana’s success, so we looked for a second home and found it at Ralph’s near Heron Rd. Although great food, the location was dark and very inconvenient for many, we made a third move to Montana’s after two years and one of the worst experience-of-a-concert-while-playing-AttacK! ever.

Our third home was Broadways on Prince of Wales. This proved to be a good spot for a couple reasons; a separate section and a separate waitress. During this time we met notable local game designer / all around nice guy / bit of a nut – Martin. Martin custom designed a PitchCar race track from scratch with loop-dee-doos, split lanes, concrete barriers and criss-crosses that was about 25-30 feet long. The promise of this game was enough to bring out twenty-six people for a games night session. This is a record that still stands today. He also designed a Ticket to Ride WORLD board that was played at the CanGames con to good reviews. We also picked up Mark M. (one of something like 12 Marks who currently abound). Mark M. currently runs a guild for us Ottawa Gamers right here on BGG. You can follow his game summaries here...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/guild/199

Also at this time TheRatKing started a group out Kanata way (Kravings). We coordinated the efforts to make sure there was a game night each week. We also used communiqués to try and cross promote the groups. This Kanata group would also hold a booth at CanGames. They also started a membership and annual tournament to raise money for a children’s gaming charity.

Eventually we had to make a move due to clashes. No details here, but there were problems on both sides.

This time things got tricky. We wanted to find a place where we could go that would not eventually drive us out if the location became a successful restaurant/bar. It took some brainstorming but eventually the General came forth with an idea to use a Legion. The original idea was to use the one at Walkley. One small problem, it had folded. So eventually we narrowed it down to the ones on Kent and the one at Westboro. Parking and driving concerns combined with the personability of the staff and the ability of us to be able to have a separate section brought us to the Legion on Westboro. But, there was still one more challenge. At the time the rule was that in order to become a member you had to have a direct relative who served. I didn’t have the background. So, after the National Department of Archives, some help from a client (thank you – you know who), and a month of waiting the General had us as guests at the Legion on Westboro.

With this location we added the membership cards and discounts from our supporters The Comic Book Shoppe, Fandom II, and Toys on Fire. The membership option still stands to this day.

At this time we picked up Dean. Another dedicated gamer who has helped with coordinating the bi-weekly event and teaching games to others. Also in that time we have had a shift in the Kanata group. The Kanata group now meets bi-weekly at the Glen and the hosting duties have been take over by Steve.

Here is a short (ahem) list of the games that have been played over the past years.
It goes like this: Axis and Allies, Risk, Risk-LOTR, Risk 2210, A&A D-Day, Lord of the Rings, Settlers of Catan, SoC-Rome, SoC-Germany, SoC-Cardgame, Starfarers of Catan, Puerto Rico, TTR, TTR-E, TTR-M, TTR-N, TTR-S, Acquire, Lord of the Rings Confrontation, Chess, Naval War, Attack!, Carassonne (and every bleepin’ expansion), City of Carcassonne, Castle Carcassonne, Carcassonne-H&G, Carcassonne Age of Discovery, Gulo Gulo, Beausack, Lunch Money, Beer Money, Family Business, Guillotine, Snowball Fight, Formula De, BattleCry, Memoir 44, BattleLore, Tide of Iron, Tannhauser, Vikings, Fire and Ice, Blood Bowl, Call of Cthulu, Arkham Horror, Betrayal at the house on the Hill, Saboteur, Risk-Queens Gambit, Chess, Checkers, Cribbage, Backgammon, Tichu, Tichu, Tichu, Tichu, Tichu, Rook, StoneAge, Keythedral, Race For the Galaxy, History of the World, Spank the Beaver, PitchCar, Shadows Over Camelot, New England, Goa, Princes of Florence, Twilight Imperium, Meuterer, Agricola, Le Havre, Railroad Tycoon, 1853, 18…a few others, Chicago Express, Rails of Europe, Entdecker, Metro, Tsuro, GIPF, Power Grid, Illuminati, Magic, On the Edge, Twilight Struggle, Dominion, Caylus, Tigris and Euphrates, Full House (custom), Brass, Princes of Florence, Battlestar Galactica, Shogun, Die Macher, UBI, RA, Imperial, Age of Empires III, Small World, Conflict of Heroes, Endeavour, Go, Pente, Wallenstein, Crokinole, Galaxy Trucker, Hammer of the Scots, Samurai, Taj Mahal, Space Alert, BattleLine, Modern Art, San Juan, Notre Dame, Age of Mythology, Ingenious, Cosmic Encounter, Blokus, Quelf, Quiddler, Mexica, Tikal, Java, Hive, Pillars of the Earth, TZARR, Citadels, Starcraft, Mr. Jack, Roborally, Reef Encounter, Cuba, ZERTZ, Through the Desert, Torres, Fury of Dracula, Werewolf, Fearsome Floors, Thurn and Taxis, Last Night on Earth, Vegas Showdown, For Sale, Modern Art, Glory to Rome, Lost Cities, Blue Moon Cities, Bang!, Louis the XIV, Bohnanza, Santiago, Medici, Tribune, Antike, Nexus Ops, Doom, Hare and Tortoise, Elfenland, Alahambra, Gardens of Alahambra, Roll through the Ages, China, Hacienda, Middle Earth Quest, Tide of Iron, MahJongg, Titan, Hey That’s My Fish, Dungeon Twister, Merchant of Amsterdam, Monopoly Deal, El Grande, King of the Elves, Sunken City, Munchkin (and other Munchkin add ons), Killer Bunnies, Cosmic Encounter, Samurai Swords, Doom, Wings of War, Stratego, Cribbage, Traders of Carthage ...

If you played a game that I did not put in this list, let me know.
I will update for next post.

-------------------------------------

If you have any questions please geekmail me or post 'em here.

Hope to see you at the next session.
goo

Hope to see you all there!

MrZoz

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Ruhland
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will be there, I may have a friend comming along.
Infinite City looks interesting. I would be happy to sit down and play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dirsch
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be there! I'll also bring 3 friends!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Kirsch
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Won't be able to make it tomorrow again. Hopefully it will be the last time and I should be back in two weeks.

Have fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ughh I've been so flipping busy on wednesdays I don't think I am going to be able to make it tonight! All is lost!

But have fun folks! Infinite City sounds pretty cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Adamson
Canada
Barrhaven
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I may actually be able to attend tonight, provided my wife doesn't go into labour sometime today, which is a possibility.

So I'll be there if I can, and I expect to bring Steam/Barons, and Puerto Rico as a fall-back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fairley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Toronto - Ottawa - Seattle - Abu Dhabi
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I'll be making it out for the first time, and lucky for me there's almost door-to-door bus service (new to Ottawa).

I'll probably bring: Twilight Struggle & Manoeuvre.

But will be up for anything.

j.,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chalupka
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Initially, I was planning on coming out, however, I'm probably going to stay home and watch the Canada/Russia game.

Agreed that Infinte City sounds cool (I love Carcassonne, so anything with tile-laying is OK with me). Wouldn't mind trying Goa sometime, either.

Oh well, maybe next time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
achalupka wrote:
Initially, I was planning on coming out, however, I'm probably going to stay home and watch the Canada/Russia game.

Likewise. There are relatively few sporting events that I would place ahead of a board game night. But an Olympic hockey tournament elimination match between the two most successful hockey programs in history in what may be the last Olympics to include the world's best players (read: NHL players)... I cannot pass up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flaknugget wrote:
I may actually be able to attend tonight, provided my wife doesn't go into labour sometime today, which is a possibility.

So I'll be there if I can, and I expect to bring Steam/Barons, and Puerto Rico as a fall-back.

Your days are numbered Pete! Just ask anyone who knows me and has seen how my attendance has dropped since the birth our first baby girl. It's an awesome experience though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fairley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thatmarkguy wrote:
achalupka wrote:

Likewise. There are relatively few sporting events that I would place ahead of a board game night. But an Olympic hockey tournament elimination match between the two most successful hockey programs in history in what may be the last Olympics to include the world's best players (read: NHL players)... I cannot pass up.

There's no PVR for boardgames.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noway Jose
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bostich wrote:
There's no PVR for boardgames.

QFT

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Gaamessz... need more Gaammesz...
mbmbmbmbmb
nothing like living in the moment though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Fairley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to whomever I was playing Steam Barons with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.