Elijah
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was at my FLGS the other day playing Dominion (Basic/Intrigue mix - I lost by 5, stupid secret chambers) with the owner.
As people started coming in for a HeroClix tourney later that day. A man sat down next to me and watched our game. A teenager also sat down next to the owner to watch.

As we were cleaning up the first game I mention to man next to me, whose name I later found out was Mike, I was going to teach a friend of mine Carcassonne that evening. Mike says have you played New World? I had seen it, but never had the chance to play. Thankfully there is a open demo copy handy. We invited the guy across from us, I think his name was Shawn, to play.

As Mike is going over the rules we find out Shawn has never played any Carcassonne. So Mike helps him through the first few turns. That's all it took. Shawn took off with an early 40 point lead an never looked back. Some small cites, and short roads with both surveyors helped his cause.

I like the way the surveyors add a sense of urgency beyond counting the number of tiles left. There was a epic struggle for control of an eleven point road. It changed hands twice. I held it three times(stupid surveyors). Before pulling the elbow piece Mike and I had been searching for.

I laid down two of only three hunters in the game. I was all by my self until Mike realized I my hunting grounds covered most of the board. I placed it three tiles in from the shore. He found a way to share it. I spent the rest of the game trying to connect a second hunter to take back my territory.

All the while Shawn is steadily racking up points. In the end the score was Shawn around 170, Mike, around 145, me 115. We we had to share the 32 point hunting ground.

Just goes to show you what a fresh mind can do while you plan the game away. Also how teaching games can bring enjoyment to people you don't even know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.