9 Posts

Space Alert» Forums » General

Subject: (Re)Loading Shields rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Björn Hansen
msg tools
Hello.

Playing another round of space alert on the weekend i was wondering if any anyone of you bothers to load up shields?
I've played now several games, though only up to the first (or first two) real mission(s). But as loading up the shield takes one cube for one more shield power we usually end up spending the energy for firing the lasers. As we've repeated several missions i've seen quite a lot of different threats, however i've never seen the necessity to load up the shield (might change in the later missions, of course)

From time to time it would be nice to load up the shield to avoid some damage points, but usally everyone is very busy and can't just afford to load them up (internal threats, computer maintance etc).

Really curious how you are playing,

Björn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's true that we've seldomly reloaded the shields, then again, we've yet to play the really difficult missions.

As I see it, the shields are mostly a safeguard should something go wrong, but that's against the simple enemies. Those who do damage to all sections are pretty devious, and would need shields.

Playing absolutely perfectly in the simpler missions, shields might not be needed much, but once you're up in the difficult missions, I guess they do get very important. How you're supposed to have time filling them (and reloading the generators), I have no idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of times absorbing the damage a threat deals is a lot easier than killing the threat. If the white and red zones are getting hammered and you can't spare the manpower to deal with a single threat in the blue zone that's about to do 7 damage, you can just power up the shields and let that threat run its course.

Using shields is a great way to protect a zone that is only being hit with a single threat that would take too much effort to kill. When more than one threat appears in a zone, you probably need to kill them because you won't survive the damage of both just by powering the shields.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only recently seen the shields used skillfully, and that's after 30 games. Sometimes it makes more sense to just soak up the last hit than to try and eliminate the threat.

We use them rarely, but when we do they are an important option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Johnson
United States
Cedar Park
Texas
flag msg tools
Well me known for eating cookie when me don't they shout
badge
Look! He try to throw loyal fans a curve!
mbmbmbmbmb
We've also been filling the central shield on turn 1, then letting the reactor be filled on turn 2. It's not something we can always do, but since we usually try to fill the central reactor so it's available later it seems like a no brainer, especially if there are no early threats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansen
msg tools
Good Idea Grant, i think we never used all three refills and there are usually one or two players just waiting for the threats to show up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. Perry
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first moves of the game are to fill up the center shields and refill the primary reactor (two different people). We don't usually use shields beyond that point, but sometimes they're helpful. It seems to work for us. We're doing yellow-carded missions now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They can be vital in campaigns - you want to take as little damage as possible, since it will carry over to the next mission.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Naomi Nabbit
United States
Norwood
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Trust that you are beautiful.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed that shields are also more useful in five player games, where you have extra actions and threats, but not extra important tasks to do every turn. If you're dealing with a threat in Red Sector and a threat in White Sector, two people can fire the Red guns, one can fire the White guns, one can handle energy management, and the last guy doesn't really have an incredibly important action to do. If he's sitting up in upper White or Red Sector, he can eat up the excess energy by charging the shields on the turn that the reactor in question is refilled.

In other words, in five player games, I've often seen the fifth person without anything incredibly pressing that he can do, even when the game is difficult and hard-pressed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.