Subject: Q's about attacking a burning section and loyalty symbols. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the game and me and my girlfriend love it. But we had one big question and one question we think we already know the answer to that we were curious about.

If a player attacks a section that is already burning, the defender doesn't have to pick any units to block, right? I mean why would they, just let the damage go straight through to the already burned capital. Or is a defender compelled to block with enough units to try to defend the capital regardless? Because repeatedly we would purposely let damage through to our capital in order to preserve units.

The reason we wondered if this was correct was because it created a situation where units in a burning section were essentially 100% safe unless you have direct damage.

The other lesser question we had was what constitutes a loyalty icon. Is it just any card with that icon printed anywhere on it? And that reduces the loyalty cost? Also, if I play a tactic with an orc icon on it, does that reduce my orc loyalty costs while its in play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The defender never has to declare blocking units, even if the capital section is burning. You are right that units in a burning zone are safe, except from direct damage, but note that this is true of all units regardless of the condition of their zone. You never required to declare a unit as a defender.

Loyalty discounts are based on the number of cards in play of that faction (with that faction's symbol). Tactics cards are not "in play" as they are discarded as soon as they are resolved, so they can not be counted as symbols for paying loyalty costs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why would you want to attack a burning section? The aim is to burn two sections of your opponent's capital, so you have nothing to gain from attacking an already-burning section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:
Why would you want to attack a burning section? The aim is to burn two sections of your opponent's capital, so you have nothing to gain from attacking an already-burning section.

You have Scouts. Or defender has a nice/annoying Unit there and you have Animosity in hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dam the Man wrote:
tonksey wrote:

You have Scouts. Or defender has a nice/annoying Unit there and you have Animosity in hand.

Hmmmm... looks like I need to read on those Scout cards again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:

In my case, she was trying to kill the army in my burned battlefield before it wrecked her 2nd zone next turn. But since I couldn't be compelled to defend with anybody, she couldn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Malus Darkblade works as well, forcing either to defend have all non-defenders take damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anselmo Diaz
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I asked this very same question months ago, when the only cards released where those from the core set.

Back then, though legal, it didn't make much sense to attack an opponent's burning zone. Nowadays, though, with Animosity, Malus Darkblade, etc. it does make sense. Especially if combined with, say, Bule Lord of Pus on the Quest: 'Wolves of the North'. That way, you can attack an oppo's burning zone with Bule, or Malus, and get rid of a pesky unit, then attack in your attack phase with the rest of your troops, for extra carnage.

Or you could attack with that Chaos attachment card that makes defending units have -1 HP, along with Malus, and wipe the weak units. This tactic would work even better if you are disposing of many Orc units in the opponent's battlefield, to avoid the nasty effects of a massive attack fueled by 'Waghhhh'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Even without expansins you might want to attack particularly the quest area to stop quest completion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Even without expansins you might want to attack particularly the quest area to stop quest completion.

Attacking the Quest Zone will only interfere with the other player's quests if he chooses those units to defend, so that really doesn't work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vanden Heuvel
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Gaamessz... need more Gaammesz...
mbmbmbmbmb
more loyalty questions:

assuming I have 2 loyalty icons showing:

1) If I play a card requiring 2 loyalty tokens, can I play ANOTHER card requiring 2 loyalty tokens? (ie. are they "used" up for that turn?)

2) assuming the answer is yes to above, if the card just played adds a loyalty icon can my next card be a 3 loyalty requirement? (ie. order does matter and the just laid card is considered in play right away)

Thanks,
David.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Martinez
United States
Irving
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loyalty Icons aren't "Spent" like resources. They are permanent until removed. In other words, if you have 2 Loyalty Icons showing, you get a discount of 2 Loyalty toward any and all cards you play. As soon as you play a card with a 3rd Loyalty Icon, you have 3 Loyalty toward any further cards you play. So yes, the order in which you play cards can be important.

Remember though that Loyalty only counts toward the right cards. Orc Loyalty Icons don't reduce the cost of Chaos cards and vice versa.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.