BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: New Retailer looking to expand rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dennis Long
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
OK so I am your normal local Comic/Gaming shop in Edgewater, MD. I do the basics. New comics, Back Issues, Magic the Gathering, YuGiOh, Pokemon and other CCG's. I have been getting request for board games and to be honest had NO IDEA how cool some of these games were. So as you seem be the experts here can you tell me some must haves for my store. For example if you walked into a store what you expect to see in a shop to know it was really trying to cater to the board game geek? Thanks in advance for any info!!!

Also if anyone on here is from Maryland and wants to contact me about this post or give me info email me at twistercomics@gmail.com or call me 410-608-2548 I really really appreciate the info!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
I would start out with this list of the most owned games on BGG to look into the trends of ownership:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/51663/bgg-ownership-le...

It's probably best to start simple since you don't know the market and stock some of the more popular BGG type games. I would also stock some party type games since you may end up with the walk-in customer looking for wits and wagers or apples to apples.

edit:
Also, I wouldn't necessarily go hardcore with catering to the true boardgame geek yet. There are a TON of different games out there, and a fully stocked game store has a LOT of titles. Be thoughtful about how much you want to turn your store into a game store. I'm not saying don't stock any games, but just be judicious about how many you stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You should begin to ask your regular customers, or potential board game customers, what titles that they are interested in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the above poster, ask you customers. There are many different types of games and levels of complexity. I'd also suggest visiting a store that specializes in boardgames to see what they stock. You may end up spending a lot of money on inventory that doesn't move.

Here's a couple of geeklists that discuss gateway games. These are games that can easily be taught to people who don't play a lot of boardgames. Some staples in discussions of gateway games are Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride, and Catan.

You can do more research by going to the search at the top of the page and searching on geeklists that have the word gateway in them. There's a lot there so you may just want to start with ones that use it in the title of the geeklist.

Best of luck.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/49297/do-you-still-pla...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/38507/revisiting-good-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Long
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Thanks all for the info. I received an email that was full of wonderful info from another member on the board and he was able to fill me in on a lot of the dynamics and interactions of board gamers. I will not be doing a lot of up front buying and demoing games at this time but have decided that I will be move slowly into games. I have a few customers that board game on a regular basis and they did not even know I could get them what they needed until recently. I will be going over the list and checking things out so again thank you for the info and you will be seeing more of me on this site. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
The other thing that I'd suggest is to get a few games and start pleying them yourself so that you can better talk about them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Well, if you sell comics, you're probably already dealing with Diamond/Alliance, so getting Days of Wonder product like Ticket to Ride shouldn't be a problem.

I'd start off by stocking gateway games and perhaps 3-5 games in the major genres. Then take orders from the customers wanting board games. You may find that many of them may already have collections of games and have no need for entry level or gateway game, but are wanting the newest expansion for a game they bought online or that hot new game that's due to be released in the next month or two.

I'd also recommend the small box filler games. One of the major drawbacks to folks looking for those games online is shipping. Once the shipping costs are factored into the cost, there is often no advantage to purchasing them from online retail stores unless you're placing an order for other games anyways. Also, these small filler titles wouldn't take up too much shelf space in the store, allowing you to use your space efficiently.

If you want any specific game suggestions, feel free to geekmail me and ask, but understand that although many, if not most of us can make educated and decent recommendations, it may not necessarily be what your local gamers are looking for. The only way to get around trying to cater to your core gamers is to stock as diverse a range as possible and pay attention to the trends and hot new games on the horizon with the info you can get here or on sites like boardgamenews. You may find your very own distributor does an adequate job of keeping you informed. Ask them what's most being ordered, but beware of them pushing some game that's been collecting dust in their warehouses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nowak
United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are going to do minis, and going to do Warhammer, as a former game store manager let me tell you - work with Games Workshop, don't let them work you.

We got offers for 180 terms if we stocked 100% of the 40k or Fantasy line. I highly suggest not doing both. Furthermore, they tapped into their database and offered to send a mailing to all their local players within 50 miles, and provide prize support for a major tourney. Try to get a deal like that.

OR even better, deal with Privateer press instead. Or stay out of minis unless you know your custoemrs are interested and have the deep pockets to require that kind of wall space.

Demo, demo, demo. And hold events and tourneys for the board games as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Long
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Thanks for the info. I have looked at privateer press at some length. So it is just a matter of whether I have guys that will get into it or not.

Also for anyone that asked about my board game deal I will have prices for you today.

Dennis

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.