Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a little confused as to when to have pay for movement activation:
Following are an example from the rules dealing with movement and then part of the rules a few pages later under Ambushes (11).

From the example on movement:

Example: The Allied play could spend 1 RP to mobilize Saigon, move
units to an adjacent province, and then mobilize that province to move
the same units again.

From the Ambush part of the rules a few pages later:

An ambushed group must stop if a unit is eliminated on either side.
To move again, the active player must spend another RP. If no unit
is eliminated, the group may continue moving at no extra RP cost.

From the first example, it appears that even if you move to an adjacent area and still have movement points left, you must still pay RP to activate the new area if you want to continue to move that group. On the other hand, the part of rules (11) say that you can continue movement without paying another RP.

Can you please clear this up for me. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Raspler
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
When an area is activated for movement, all units can move their movement allowences, either individually or in groups. ARVN units must roll a d6 for movement points, and if you enter an area with a concealed VC unit you risk ambush, but otherwise, you move however you like.

In the first example you list, just because units are moved adjacent and then activated and moved again, it doesn't mean they could not have continued their initial move had they wanted to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Dan. That helps. Usually an "example" in the rules helps to clarify the rule. In this case it did the opposite and caused me some confusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Fryer
United States
Woodstock
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rod3556lhs wrote:
Thanks Dan. That helps. Usually an "example" in the rules helps to clarify the rule. In this case it did the opposite and caused me some confusion.

I recommend you download and print out the clarifications Stan Hilinski posted in the files section. It is helpful and specifically clarifies the movement example you asked about (which was admittedly, confusing). Looks like a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Larry. I did as you suggest and got Stan's clarifications. You are correct. My concern is addressed there and his explanation is helpful. And YES, this game does look really good. I have played through a couple of scenarios and it has been great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.