Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Weeks
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you play with the correct number of curse cards? It sounds to me like you used too many. You should have the (number or players - 1) X 10 curse cards so in this case (5-1)X10=40 curses. Even with 40 curse cards this game would have been brutal but hopefully a little faster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enough SPIES in your deck is potentially a good counter to other people's attack cards.

SPIES are great for controlling other people's decks, as well as your own. You can hopefully use it to filter out some curses as you travel through your deck, as well as either denying people their power cards (eg: witch, gold, etc) or leaving an unpleasant card on top to mess with their next draw (eg: curse, estate)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Snyder
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Shouldn't you be playing a game with me instead of wasting time on the Internet?
mbmbmbmbmb
also, the curse pile counts towards the check for empty piles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never seen the Curse pile run out? Can't have played many games with the Witch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to confirm what others have said, the curse pile counts as one to run out. So do money or VP cards. And the number of curse cards that start the game depends on the number of players, so they come out evenly. I don't know what the number is for 5, but it should be in the Intrigue manual somewhere.

I've seen negative scores with witches. It's just a different game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Just to confirm what others have said, the curse pile counts as one to run out. So do money or VP cards. And the number of curse cards that start the game depends on the number of players, so they come out evenly. I don't know what the number is for 5, but it should be in the Intrigue manual somewhere.

I've seen negative scores with witches. It's just a different game.

As has already been pointed out, the number of Curses in a 5 player game is 40. It goes like this:

2 players = 10 Curses
3 players = 20 Curses
4 players = 30 Curses
5 players = 40 Curses
6 players = 50 Curses
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
2 players = 10 Curses
3 players = 20 Curses
4 players = 30 Curses
5 players = 40 Curses
6 players = 50 Curses

Correct but five and six player games end when four supply piles are exhausted, not three. Oops. I forgot that rule.

Edit: I forgot. Me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played quite a few games with the Witch, and with 10 curses to hand out per player, it's really a case of whoever gets them out first has an advantage. If you get a card that can convert the Witch to something else after the curses run out, maybe better--but I generally find cards that promise to convert other cards are never in your hand when the other cards are--did that make sense?--so I don't tend to try for those cards.

I have not, however, played a huge number of Dominion games (despite playing fairly often with the Witch).

(Ack! I may get tempted toward the dark side--BSW--by Dominion!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van den Broeck
Belgium
Zwijndrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curse piles and VP piles count towards the check for empty piles ??

It is clearly stated in the rules thought that three out of the 10 kingdom cards declare the games as ended.

VP cards, treasure and curse cards are not part of the kingdom cards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald X.
United States
flag msg tools
designer
Phyriphiry wrote:

It is clearly stated in the rules thought that three out of the 10 kingdom cards declare the games as ended.

I am not digging up a rulebook quote for you, but all 17 Supply piles count towards the end-game condition. The trash doesn't count. The Black Market deck doesn't count. Curse, Estate, Copper etc. all count.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
Phyriphiry wrote:

Wrong.

Rules wrote:
At the end of sheet 5: The game ends at the end of any player’s turn when one of two conditions is met: the Supply pile of Province cards is empty OR any 3 Supply piles are empty. Each player counts up his victory points on the cards in his entire Deck (which includes his hand and his Discard pile).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
donaldx wrote:
Phyriphiry wrote:

I am not digging up a rulebook quote for you, but all 17 Supply piles count towards the end-game condition. The trash doesn't count. The Black Market deck doesn't count. Curse, Estate, Copper etc. all count.

queue the ongoing discussion of unlimited coin cards. wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Van den Broeck
Belgium
Zwijndrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's very weird.

In the dutch translation it's said

'... 3 stapels koninkrijkkaarten zijn uitgeput'.

what in my opinion translates as '... 3 piles of kingdomcards are exhausted'.

Probably the dutch translator is wrong!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.