Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Floyd Sherrod
United States
Sharpsburg
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
(90 min) At Atlanta GameFest I was invited to an "old-school" game of RoboRally. It's been a while since I'd played RoboRally - the elder - and with seasoned players no less, as I'm usually teaching the uninitiated on my newer AH set. I was looking forward to it. The setup -- two boards, three flags. Doesn’t sound too bad I know, but what wasn’t covered by double and triple speed conveyor belts, was made up for with pits and pools of radioactive goo. These were custom PnP boards that Leon Hendee trotted out to abuse us (me) with.

Everyone must know by now RoboRally is a game of programming robots to race around a factory floor. I got off to a bad start right away because we were playing the original version (with custom boards mentioned) and I misremembered the virtual robot rules since we all started at the same location. I like the starting board in the newer version of the game, but have to admit that everyone starting in the same place is ultimately more fair. Anyway, my fault for not making the adjustment.

So after dying in register phase 2 of turn one (What? I’m virtual. I can’t take damage but I can die?), I was able to recover and get my first flag fairly quickly. Then it was off to flag #2 which was situated neatly between a triple conveyor belt and a level change. My choices were to ride the conveyor off the board or duck off onto the lower level which was okay because it has a wrench and I was able repair some damage. However, due to a bad series of card draws, I spent at least the next 50-60 turns (okay, I exaggerate, but you get the idea) on that lower level without the juice to get up the ramp and escape.

Another player, after falling way behind, just decided it was more fun to mess with the leaders than get flags himself. So he was having fun collecting options and running blocker for the two players that were trying to get their third flag. He was enjoying considerable success and bought lots of time for myself and one other player while we were struggling.

I finally managed to pull myself out of the hole, hop the triple conveyor (in the wrong direction), sidle over to the triple going back the other way, hop off near the second flag, and nab it just before one of the other guys got his third and won the game. This was a brutal game of RR and while I didn't enjoy this play very much, I still very much like the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McEvoy
Canada
Mountain
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
fhsIV wrote:
So after dying in register phase 2 of turn one (What? I’m virtual. I can’t take damage but I can die?)

When you're virtual you can die, *and* you can take damage. Board elements can still hurt you - board-mounted lasers, flamers, Radioactive waste, falling from height, etc. You can be pushed by pushers, dragged by conveyor belts, turned by gears. Virtual robots cannot hurt or push or otherwise see/affect one another, but every robot is fully present for the purpose of board elements - including hurty ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon Hendee
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played again recently, at another weekend event. We started with 7 players, one of them a newbie. We used 1 or 2 PnP boards, looking for a 60 minute game. Most of us died trying to get to the first flag. It turns out the flag placement resulted in unintentionally diabolical play. Players starting dropping out of the game, one at a time, until only the guys from my weekly group were left. It took 2 hours to finish the game. Each of us had to power down more than once.

I really enjoy this game. RoboRally anyone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gamerl3 wrote:
It turns out the flag placement resulted in unintentionally diabolical play.

I suspect the diabolical flag placement was quite intentional.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.