Popular Tags: [View All]
Timothy Burke
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rather than ask all the questions here I'm sure there must be various threads on "best games for kids" I'm a wargamer, recently turned Euro gamer and had a games brunch yesterday at my house, Pandemic was a big hit but for the life of me I couldn't find a game in my collection to occupy an 8 y/o's mind. I pulled out Shear Panic but had forgotten how complicated it was (to a child) Thought about Battleline for a second but by that time he was leaving. He did enjoy pushing a DBA army around the table. Any help with a thread would be great.

Gotta keep recruiting the new generation!!

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
looking through the yearly board game geek gift guide ( i don't know the link) was a help for me ... i picked up that's my fish for my 9 year old daughter at Christmas and that's been a hit. sometimes she likes games geared towards kids, rather than playing adult games. chateu roquefort (spelling) is also good for that age range.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judy Davis
United States
Sanford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out the forum under Gaming with Kids. Lots of threads there about what games kids like.

And to your particular question, I have found that Carcassonne, Lost Cities, and Settlers of Catan work well with that age. Last weekend I taught my friend's 8 year old son to play Lost Cities and Carcassonne. He picked them up very easily and really enjoyed them.

J.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
My 7 year old loves (in the order that I would recommend):

Chateau Roquefort
Frank's Zoo
Legend of Landlock
Pitchcar (could get mini)
Ice Flow
Castle Panic
Daytona 500
Ingenious
Castle Keep
Pit
Can't Stop
Once Upon a Time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
Memoir '44 sounds like a good bet.

If I were looking for games for my 7 yo daughter, I would go for themes she likes. Not knowing that for your son, some other general ideas:

HeroScape
Ticket to Ride
Carcassonne
Sorry Sliders
Pitchcar Mini
Hey! That's My Fish!
Nexus Ops

In case you don't already know, on each BGG game page there is a user recommended age rating, which may help you.

Also see http://www.kidgameratings.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
And, it looks like we're all being so helpful that we didn't answer your question.

Check out
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/17611/definitive-list-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tesuji wrote:
And, it looks like we're all being so helpful that we didn't answer your question.

Check out

it's just much more fun to chime in then spend time doing searches ... figured it wouldn't take too long for someone to ... btw OP's child is 8, not 6

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
unveilmyeyes wrote:
tesuji wrote:

Check out

it's just much more fun to chime in then spend time doing searches ... figured it wouldn't take too long for someone to ... btw OP's child is 8, not 6

The list I linked to is for 6 yo minimum. But you're right, many of the games there might be too "childish."

8 yo can play a lot of "adult" games - check the "User Suggested Ages" on each game page as I suggested in a previous post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Burke
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all, the friend's kid is a bit jittery if you know what I mean so adult games don't work well at this point. There are some good suggestions in there and I'll check them out. I thought I was being a hero letting the boy tag along but I do have to do more homework and have a game ready to play next time. Thanks again for all the help.

Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.