Runewars» Forums » Variants

Subject: RFTG-style variant for order cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stuart Detsky
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As Race for the Galaxy was the most recent game I learned prior to Runewars, the use of the Order cards and the Supremacy Bonus made me think of RFTG's simultaneous selection of action cards.

An interesting variant idea for me is that all player simultaneously choose Order cards but all Order cards selected each season are played by ALL players (not just the player choosing the Order card) with the player order being determined using normal tiebreaker rules. The Supremacy Bonus, instead of being based on the Order Card number being higher than all previously played Order cards, can be based on whether you were the one playing the Order card (similar to RFTG's action card bonuses).

For example, in a 3-player Runewars game, Player 1 chooses Strategize while Players 2 & 3 both choose Harvest. All three players use the Strategize action first with only Player 1 receiving the Supremacy Bonus. Then all three players Harvest, with only Players 2 & 3 receiving the Supremacy Bonus.

Thoughts?

P.S. I apologize if this double-posts but that's a glitch I haven't been able to fix yet with BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I like the way the Supremacy bonus is based on the timing. It means you have to play your attack orders earlier in the year to get the bonus, and the higher ones later in the year if you don't want to block your bonus from other cards.

I've though about a simialr RFTG thing, but I just think it would change things too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this could work, but it would likely change the length of the game. I don't imagine you'd ever reach the six year before getting six runes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mateo jurasic
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I really dont think this would work, unless you really gutted a lot of the core mechanics in the game.

You could have multiple harvest actions in one turn (basically worthless)
You have many cards that work because the game specifically limits your ability to use orders more than once in a year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
mateooo wrote:

You could have multiple harvest actions in one turn (basically worthless)

How? In RFTG you only do the action once no matter how many players selected it for that turn. Do you mean multiple harvests in a year?

Also, i think the part that might not work is that the heroes can take up to 4 times as long to do anything. There would have to be more turns for heroes besides the start of summer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that immediately hops out at me is that this would break any effects which change your resource dials from their "actual" valyes (i.e. the current values of areas you control).

The most obvious are things like tactics cards which give you bonuses, or spending resources to build things.

But a more subtle and insidious effect is to drastically weaken the +resources developments... You only get the bonus resources if you have the harvest supremacy bonus, so for example if you harvest in the summer and then someone else harvests in the fall, you lose the bonus from your developments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.