Gottardo Zancani
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi to everybody.

While working on the Starship module (still a lot of work to do) i've got an idea for the next module on the line: The Hive.

Instead of having a fixed mission map the idea is to have
* 4/6 Mission types (example: Exploration, The Rescue, Destroy the Hive...)
* a Map Generator

The Map Generator is a web application that is able to create random maps based on some parameters (mission type, diffculty): this tool could provide a nearly endless number of maps with

- different paths
- different nodes
- special nodes
- different levels of complexity

The Mission will define the objectives and the parameters to use for the generator: the generated map will be re-playable and, obviously, many maps could be gerenater.

Adding new paths and nodes will add in the future new capabilities, and possibly a similar approach could be used to generate dinamically other type of maps.

The downside of this approach is that you will have to print more maps, not always a cheap process. The alternative (that i'm investigating for the War Theathre module) is to use some geomorphic tiles.

I'd like to have your feedback on this subject since i would like to focus my very litte spare/spare time in the right direction, and as always my own creativity is necessarily limited.

Zak
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hexagonal grid type of mapping to build random map would certainly add to the hive feel of the mission. Plus if you could randomly draw chits to determine each area's enemy levels and special attributes. Would go a long way to produce single print / random generation of new and exciting maps.

my .02

I really enjoy the game thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm still not completely done creating my copy of the game, because I print, then glue (paper on cardboard), then cut, then glue again to make the tokens double-sided - I'd really prefer hexagonal (or other) map tiles a lot to an online mission generator, because it would allow me to build the game's components only once while maintaining infinite replayability.

Tile sets like that from different modules could then be joined together with intermediate tiles - maybe with special abilities, giving the squad a chance to rest and refill, for example.

What you'll need to keep in mind with either type of automatically generated maps is that they make it more difficult to have a consistent story throughout the mission - something that makes the currently available missions particularly appealing. Maybe you can make different base types of missions (either parameters for an online version, or special end tiles for tile sets) and then fill the space between these out with more generic tiles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spiff Spaceagent
msg tools
Hi
So far I have just printed out on normal paper, which is cheap and fast but makes it difficult to pick up the different counters (which in part is why I am using die instead of the number chits).
I like your ideas about new maps, and while the hexagonal pieces would be good for replayability, you would almost have to make them thicker instead of just printing on normal paper. So there is quite a bit of work in that. I made thick cardboard pieces for Puerto Rico and was surprised how long it took!
So the internet-generated maps would require more work if you want to make all your maps nice and thick, but it would be nice and quick for just printing on normal paper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gottardo Zancani
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea is to generate maps with the same structure of the existing one (node-based): the generator will pick different paths between the nodes and will populate randomly the nodes.

Here you can find a couple of examples of the generated images:
and

The actual version only puts standard nodes on the map: the next step is to add special nodes and/or additional info (like resources or special icons).

Zak
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you already have a version of an online map generator, then going another route would be silly I can see the argument for easier printing, too.

The hexes would not need to have a different structure than the current maps though: You could make paths go out the center of some sides of the hexes, with 1-2 nodes in the middle - allowing the hexes to go together very flexibly, and forming the same kind of map layout as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Benak
Serbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First: making a map generator is a great idea!
I have a few questions about the generator which (if you didn't already thought of them) could give you some more ideas.

Will the placement of nodes be free on the map and will we be able to move them around the map after the connections are made (so we could be able to group them like in the first mission)?

Will we be able to put custom (our own) backgrounds?

Will we be able to put special simbols on connections (mission 1), on nodes (mission 3) and to make special enemies (missions 3,4...)?

Would there be a posability to make custom texts in the header like in other missions?

What resloution will be the resulting file and what format?

Will we be able to use map generator offline (to download it and use it on our computers. That would be cool (and useful ).)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gottardo Zancani
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
Well, if you already have a version of an online map generator, then going another route would be silly I can see the argument for easier printing, too.

The hexes would not need to have a different structure than the current maps though: You could make paths go out the center of some sides of the hexes, with 1-2 nodes in the middle - allowing the hexes to go together very flexibly, and forming the same kind of map layout as well.

This is more or less the idea behind the tiles i'm developing for the "War Theatre": an example here below

i've used a square instead of an hex since it's MUCH easier to cut, and the loss of 2 degrees of freedom it not very relevant.

Zak
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gottardo Zancani
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
scivias wrote:

Will the placement of nodes be free on the map and will we be able to move them around the map after the connections are made (so we could be able to group them like in the first mission)?

The generator will have some parameters to create a map but the final result will be a PNG file, hence a fixed image.

Quote:

Will we be able to put custom (our own) backgrounds?

The online version could be improved with user-submitted backgrounds. But see also below about the "offline version"

Quote:

Will we be able to put special simbols on connections (mission 1), on nodes (mission 3) and to make special enemies (missions 3,4...)?

Special simbols will be added depending on the mission type: as an example the "Exploration" mission will add the ? icon used in Mission #002, with a similar VP mechanism.

Quote:

Would there be a posability to make custom texts in the header like in other missions?

The actual idea is to have a map with no text on it: "special" mission sheets will be created to make use of the maps.

Quote:

What resloution will be the resulting file and what format?

The files will be in PNG format, with the resolution of the current examples. This is the resolution that i use to create the PDF version

Quote:

Will we be able to use map generator offline (to download it and use it on our computers. That would be cool (and useful ).)?

In theory yes: the generator is a PHP program and if you have the right tools (like the XAMPP lite packet) you could use it on your PC like i'm doining now for the development phase. Still, i'm not sure i'm prepared to release to public the source code...

Zak
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dicky P
United Kingdom
West
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another(?) vote for the "geomorphic" tile route. Not particularly fussed about whether these were hex or square based tiles. As pointed out hex are a little more time comsuming to cut out, but not by much.

Until your post above I had thought that this might then just be tiles alone, with the connecting routes being specific route tiles, however now see that you are thinking specific maps onto which you drop tiles. I guess this works, but still means that you have generate/print the underlying maps. Do you have any feel for how many "underlying maps" there might be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gottardo Zancani
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
but still means that you have generate/print the underlying maps. Do you have any feel for how many "underlying maps" there might be?

The actual project is based on 12 tiles (two full A4 sheets split in 6 squares).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Urdinaran
United States
Hammonton
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the work you've done so far...

1 suggestion: A system using a dozen or so Node chits so we can generate our own missions at home or on the road (i.e. not near a computer).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.