Martin Ethier
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We always played this game with the rules that keeps and towers are completed if all sides are closed (diagonals are not important).

That being said, the example figure (for the keep) in the middle of p. 4. of the RioGrande rules is confusing. In the other examples of these rules, the tile with the red highlight is the tile causing a feature to be completed. Hence, the example for the keep seems to suggest that a keep is finished only when completly surrounded by tiles (including the diagonals). I understand that the example is also showing that a tile connected to the feature only by it's corner is not included in the scoring.

Anybody has input on that problem?

My opinion is that RGG simply made an error and another tile should have been highlighted in red to show the tile just played and that the diagonals are not important to scoring and completion of a feature.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have the rules in front of me, but completion is only based on sides, never diagonals. Not sure about the diagram you mention - are you sure it's not completing some other structure (e.g. a road) in the example?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ethier
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cannoneer wrote:
I don't have the rules in front of me, but completion is only based on sides, never diagonals. Not sure about the diagram you mention - are you sure it's not completing some other structure (e.g. a road) in the example?

You'll see when you look at the figure. It's hard to explain. There are only 4 tiles in it. The keep (with a meeple on it) is the only feature completed by the play.

The rules states:"A house is complete when the connected house segments are completely surrounded by paths, towers, courts, and the castle wall (and the house contains no empty spaces)."

The whole confusion rises from the red outline around the tile (which in the rest of the rules means that it is the tile that was just played). If the highlight had been on any other tiles, there would be no confusion. Hence my theory about a simple mistake. It would make no sense to me to have to use the diagonals. But I wanted to check with people here.

The rules are on RGG site
http://www.riograndegames.com/uploads/Game/Game_54_gameRules...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjarne Aagaard
Denmark
Århus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see no mistake in the example in the rules, and no confussion, as the castle is not surrounded until the highlighted tile is placed.

The tile with the red highlight completes the castle. The tile with the number 2 (the one with the white meeple) is "open" to the rignt, until the highlighted tile is placed.

If instead a tile with a castle segment was placed, the castle would grow bigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ethier
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Baagaard wrote:
I see no mistake in the example in the rules, and no confussion, as the castle is not surrounded until the highlighted tile is placed.

The tile with the red highlight completes the castle. The tile with the number 2 (the one with the white meeple) is "open" to the rignt, until the highlighted tile is placed.

If instead a tile with a castle segment was placed, the castle would grow bigger.

Not sure we are looking at the same figure. Have you check the link I provided? Might be alright in other language ruleset.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjarne Aagaard
Denmark
Århus
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, stupid me. I was looking at your link, but were looking at the completed tower on the picture above the one you are talking about.

I see your point, the house is already completed, the highlighted piece is not necessery. I guess the point is to emphazice that houses (or castles) are not connected diagonally, but as you said, it dosn't "fit" with the rest of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Roberts
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That diagram is designed to point out that the house is NOT expanded by adding another house on the diagonal. The callout text states as such. The callout could be a little clearer, because towers are the same.

Your original reading of the rules is right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.