Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Carter
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have just started a new board game blog called, appropriately enough, "The Board Game Blog". Like most board game sites, it will be a place where you can can gaming news, board game reviews, and articles about gaming culture in general. We will also have articles and reviews that share our experiences playing games as a couple, which we hope will be particularly interesting to you if you spend most of your gaming time with your significant other. But whether you are usually playing two-player games, or playing games in large groups, there should be plenty of content that's relevant to you, so please come check it out!

There are several posts already live. Here's the link to the latest one:

10 Games Everyone Should Play at Least Once

Feedback is always welcome!

- Ben
http://www.theboardgameblog.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David McMurray
United States
Jamestown
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a very good start. So far I really enjoyed your reviews/posts. Keep it up. Bookmarked

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Carter
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unknownfluke wrote:
This is a very good start. So far I really enjoyed your reviews/posts. Keep it up. Bookmarked

Thanks! We're planning to post at least twice a week, so we look forward to seeing you back

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Daniels
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately, I only really agree with Glory to Rome and Go as must play games... and Glory to Rome has the caveat that you've got to enjoy more complex card games in order to really give it a fare play. But, like most things in life, it's subjective like or dislike, must play vs. will never play...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Carter
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lindelos wrote:
Unfortunately, I only really agree with Glory to Rome and Go as must play games... and Glory to Rome has the caveat that you've got to enjoy more complex card games in order to really give it a fare play. But, like most things in life, it's subjective like or dislike, must play vs. will never play...

Hey, that's alright. That's why there are so many games out there, right? Thanks for checking out the site!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nomadic Gamer
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Catan and Pandemic.
but the only keeper is Pandemic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Do not shed tears over throws of the past, roll again!
badge
Click here for free games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Surely this thread is crying out for lots of postings about peoples' own 10 'must play' games?!

I shall resist, and just say that I like the look of the blog - did you design it yourself or get a theme from somewhere?

Oh and I just noticed the Bananagrams bit - never ceases to amaze me how people get sucked into buying that game. All you need are your set of scrabble tiles, I've been playing 'speed scrabble' for years this way and it's great fun (I also love regular Scrabble but only ever play with 2).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Carter
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish I could say I designed the look of the blog myself, but I didn't. It's the SoulVision theme, which you can find for free at several places around the web. I've been making a few tweaks to it here and there, but it's still pretty close to the original.

And regarding Bananagrams, I will admit that when I first got it as a Christmas present, I originally thought the same thing about just using Scrabble tiles. However, I do like the fact that the ones it comes with a bit heavier, and the letter distribution is different (presumably more suited to large groups, since there are more tiles than in Scrabble). But yes, you could definitely play it with Scrabble tiles just as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Carter
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
davedanger wrote:
Agree with Catan and Pandemic.
but the only keeper is Pandemic.

Yeah, it's funny. Catan was my favorite game for quite a while, probably because it was the first and only euro I was exposed to for that time. Once I got into gaming a bit more, it kind of faded away since I was trying new games instead. After a couple of years I tried it again a couple times, and you're right: it just doesn't hold the same appeal to me as it used to, except for nostalgia's sake.

I still consider it a must-play though, because it is such a great jumping-off point to transitioning from Monopoly / Risk / etc. into euro-games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Burns
United States
Dupont
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I look at you suggestions and the one I disagree with would be Magic:the gathering. There are better CCGs out there Dominion for example. Ok so Dominion isn't a game where you have to keep buying and buying ,but you only need to learn the concept of deck building.

I would amend Beyond Balderdash and just use the base game Balderdash. The expansion makes it too weak for it gives categories that people would have no clue for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.