Popular Tags: [View All]
William Kulin
United States
Lawndale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Military Strategy = Colonizing with Guns

In 'Age of Empires', the Military Strategy is very difficult because it costs $10 to declare a Full-Scale War.

If you wish to make the Military Strategy a viable option just remove the extra money cost of declaring a Full-Scale War. Then when a player places a colonist in the Warfare Box he has the option of either fighting a single Battle or declaring a Full-Scale War at no extra cost.

Our gaming group has play tested this variant. It gives players more options in the New World and forces more competition over training/shipping soldiers.

What are your thoughts on this?

Added on 3/4/2010:
If you wish to reduce the cost of declaring a Full-Scale War to $5 rather than $0 that's OK with me! The effect would still be making the Military Strategy a more viable option.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Faulkner
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not start out by just reducing the cost (say to $5) to see how that plays out. A reduction to free Wars is going to have a major impact on heavy colonisation strategies and make the free soldier building tiles very strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Dicorato
United States
Chattanooga
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Overpowered. Maybe reduce it to 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Kulin
United States
Lawndale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Why not start out by just reducing the cost (say to $5) to see how that plays out. A reduction to free Wars is going to have a major impact on heavy colonisation strategies and make the free soldier building tiles very strong.

Our gaming group has play tested removing the extra cost to declare a Full-Scale War and it forces more competition in the training/shipping of soldiers. This competition opens up new and different avenues of colonizing strategy without closing the old ones.

If you wish to reduce the cost of declaring a Full-Scale War to $5 rather then $0 that's OK with me! The effect would still be making the Military Strategy a more viable option.

Military Strategy = Colonizing with Guns

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Nelson
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
definitely agree with the guys above, $5 for a full scale war sounds more appropriate. Otherwise it seems like I would always have at least 1 person in the warfare box to make use of the full scale war option. Seems like under the free all out war variant that not as many people would colonize, because they would just be killed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dano themano
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
i feel 10$ to declare war is not enough , with alot alot of plays in this game i feel making it any less then 10 would be way to little since ive found colonizing soldiers and shooting with them is a really good strat to take , in most plays once a player sends a soldier or two to a territory the other players have to decide to etiher send soldiers to protect thier colonists thier or just abondon that colony and go for a dif one.
most of the time it isnt until late in the game were you have enough soldiers colonized and in dif colony's to make declaring war a good idea imo and by then you should have a extra 10 to spend. even then you can only declare war one one enemy(color) for the ten spot. unless im wrong

just my 2 cents

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M D E
Romania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry about the necro, but I thought it better than opening a new thread since this one is clearly on the theme.

Along with making War $5 cheaper (sure, you might have $10 to spend, but we've found that most of the time there are other things one can get with that money that yield better results), I would like to suggest a 'Conquistador' extra rule for discoveries: if you have at least as many soldiers as you have other pieces (disregarding the fact that a captain counts as 2), when you successfully discover a region you place a soldier instead of a colonist.

Frankly I've found that soldiers get sent to the new world way too rarely, everybody crowds the colonist decks with missionaries, merchants and the occasional builder. This would lead to more players having troops in the new world and thus an incentive to fight, not just populate, populate, make money, populate.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.