Popular Tags: [View All]
T. B.
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I read an earlier thread debating the exact use of an Enslaved hero (this one: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/310778/enslaved-and-dark-cha...)and holy shit, what a mess. Did this ever get clarified?

Here are the main questions-

1. How, exactly does an Overlord control an Enslaved hero? Do they get to move and attack? Or only attack?

2. If the answer is that they get to move and attack, what other heroic abilities may the OL controlled hero use? Fatigue? Re-equipping? Drinking potions? Dropping items? Battling? Running?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm not claiming I have the "only official correct" answer, but here is what I found.

RtL rules

Enslaved
The Plot card “Brother Against Brother” is the only way to
enslave a hero. Once a hero has been enslaved, the effect is
permanent. From then on, at the start of the hero’s turn, the hero
player must roll a black power die. On anything but a power
surge, he may take his turn as normal. On a power surge, the
Avatar’s mental powers take over the hero and he is controlled
by the overlord player this turn. This effect is similar to the
“Dark Charm” card, except that the overlord cannot force the
hero to attack himself.

Descent FAQ 1.3

Q: When the overlord is controlling a hero through “Dark
Charm,” who decides how to spend the surges and power
dice? Can the overlord move the character and attack, or
just make a single attack without moving?
A: The overlord controls the hero for that attack, including
the hero’s use of surges and power dice. The overlord may
also play cards such as “Aim” with the attack. However,
the overlord player cannot move the character, or force
the hero to spend fatigue to add to the attack. The hero no
longer benefits from any heroes with Command, but does
receive a bonus from any of the Overlord's figures with
command.

Q: When the overlord is controlling a hero through “Dark
Charm,” who decides how to spend the surges and power
dice? Can the overlord move the character and attack,
or just make a single attack without moving? What if the
Dark Charmed character has an Aim or Dodge order?
Who decides whether defensive abilities such as shields
and Ghost Armor are used?
A: The overlord controls the hero for that attack, including
the hero’s use of surges and power dice. The overlord may
also play cards such as “Aim” with the attack. However,
the overlord player cannot move the character, or force the
hero to spend fatigue to add to the attack. The overlord
may not force the character to use any orders. The hero
retains control of any of her defensive options such as
shields or Ghost Armor.

So, having skimmed the old thread and searched through the FFG forum a bit, here is my best interpretation of the rules.

If the Hero beats the roll, he takes a normal turn. If he loses the roll and becomes Enslaved, then I would treat that as the OL getting to activate a monster outside of his turn.

The OL can choose to make the hero Advance, Run, or Battle. The OL can move the hero in any way that would be legal for them to move. The OL can not spend fatigue. The OL can choose how the surges are spent in an attack and use any skills that do not require a fatigue expenditure. The OL can not expend any of the heroes items, but would benefit from any passive "always on" bonuses. The OL can not expend any orders placed on the hero, but can play cards as if the hero was a monster, provided he has the threat and meets the triggers.

This is simply the way I would rule the ability. The rules as written are vague enough that you can pretty much rule it whatever way makes more sense to you. I can't find an instance where Kevin W. or anyone from FFG has clarified this situation any further.

Best solution? Put it to a vote in your group, and have a tiebreaker ready. ^_^
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. B.
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That looks like a very reasonable solution, and I'll probably propose that we follow it. I'm a little disappointed that FFG hasn't clarified this yet as it's a huge hole in the Obsidian Shackles plot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG tends to let the game designers support their own games. I've not run across someone whose job it is to answer rules questions. FFG also doesn't see the purpose of the forums to answer game questions as policy. There are devs that do, but Kevin doesn't seem to be one. FFG wants that done by an email form on their website here:
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_faq.asp

Send in your question, and in a few weeks there is a chance you can get an official answer. I think most of us regular players have simply given up on spamming the form.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. B.
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've taken your advice and eagerly await their response! Well... I'm not holding my breath.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steffen Schindler
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there an answer? My question would be if the OL can equip other items?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say sorta. The hero should get to equip for free before doing the roll for enslaved. It does hamper the OL but I don't see why the OL couldn't declare an advance, spend 2 mp to re-equip, and then make his attack. I would not rule that the OL was allowed to spend 2 fatigue for the reequip and make a battle action, but that's not an official answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. B.
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, at long last an official answer has appeared on the Descent forums- Here's the quote-

Quote:
"I have one to add as well, this one wasnt in the sticky, but its good to know. It has to do with the "enslaved" lingering effect caused by the plot card "brother against brother"

comment: Regarding Descent: Road to Legend

With the plot card "Brother against Brother" and the "enslaved" lingering effect....It says that the Overlord gains control of the heroes turn, What does this mean exactly?....declare actions, re-equip/un-equip items, move, spend fatigue....in addition to attack??

Also, thank you very much for replying to my previous questions Dan I really appreciate the customer service you are providing in rules clarifications. Again, thank you!

Most of the restrictions that apply with "Dark Charm" also apply here.

The overlord may declare an action for the hero. He may move the hero and make attacks as allowed by that action. (He may even place and spend order tokens such as Aim!)

He may not force the hero to do any of the following: spend fatigue, spend health, drink potions, and items. He may also not force the hero to make an attack that includes himself in the area of effect. He may, however, re-equip the character following normal rules provided he does not violate any of these restrictions.

~Dan Clark
Creative Content Developer
Fantasy Flight Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim qwert
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My gaming group has another problem with the enslaved effect.

Are the chain markers treated as effect markers like burn or web, and thus could you be immune with the mirror shield/crown from last legendary dungeon?

Otherwise this ability would look like a game breaker to me. With full conrol over the hero for one turn you will have at least one dead hero afterwards, more if you are unlucky. The avatar is the demon prince. my worst fear ist that Talia gets controlled in the first round of battle, one-shots our mage and then runs in and out of the demons aura until death (damage 6 at range 2 and adds burn *sadface*). And i don't believe a mage with an explosion rune and 4 gold dice would lead to a better result...

If it would be possible to prohibit the placing of the markers in the first place this would at least add a chance that no hero will be enslaved.

Hopefully you can help us out, otherwise we will end up in an argument and not be able to finish this campaign in the next 10 years

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbon Loughnan
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seladric wrote:
My gaming group has another problem with the enslaved effect.

Are the chain markers treated as effect markers like burn or web, and thus could you be immune with the mirror shield/crown from last legendary dungeon?

Otherwise this ability would look like a game breaker to me. With full conrol over the hero for one turn you will have at least one dead hero afterwards, more if you are unlucky. The avatar is the demon prince. my worst fear ist that Talia gets controlled in the first round of battle, one-shots our mage and then runs in and out of the demons aura until death (damage 6 at range 2 and adds burn *sadface*). And i don't believe a mage with an explosion rune and 4 gold dice would lead to a better result...

If it would be possible to prohibit the placing of the markers in the first place this would at least add a chance that no hero will be enslaved.

Hopefully you can help us out, otherwise we will end up in an argument and not be able to finish this campaign in the next 10 years :)

No, the tokens are not effect markers. They are not part of any effect markers list and they are not given in the same manner as effect markers. They don't even have the same size/shape as effect markers!

1. This is an expensive upgrade - it should be expected to have considerable effect. It is worth 3-6 other normal OL upgrades! (IIRC)

2. The heroes should have considerable additional wounds, both from SM training and from the final dungeon (OL's Keep). Most heroes should have 30+ wounds at least for the final battle, so 1-shots are not all that likely. 2 shots maybe...

3. It is only a 1/3 chance each turn that the OL gets control of the hero at all. And its a random hero - it is just as likely to be your weakest hero as your strongest. When I used it it fell on the party runner, who rarely did half as much damage on an attack as any of the other three heroes. :-(

4. Generally speaking the OL final battles are exceptionally one sided to the heroes. Even though the Demon Avatar is very tough, unless you have been pushed into an early final battle due to plot (which means the OL has pretty much done what he should to win) then your heroes will be well loaded with gold equipment and many upgrades and even just two of them would probably cream the Demon.

In summary, I think you are far too worried.
Generally speaking the OL has to get extraordinarily lucky for the Enslavement to change the final result - unless the final battle is already going to be very close (which is an exceptional achievement by the OL worthy of some considerable reward). He is actually more likely to die before he even gets any use of it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.