United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed a few harsh warnings against people mentioning the names of folks who are on their Hide or block list. WHy such a hardline attitude?

I ask this question out of genuine curiousity as to the raationale for this policy. I'm not asking because I have a long black list of names and feel aggrieved because I can't mention names (I, in fact, don't have any BGGers blocked).

Brian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peruse old Usenet threads for your answer. Talking about plonk lists and kill files generated more flame bait than their intended use ever avoided.

It gets ugly, quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Because it would lead to, "If you block me, I'm going to block you! And my friends are going to block you, too!" "Well, then, I'll get my friends to block you and your friends!" And things escalate to the point people are talking past each other because they can't see each other's messages. This creates misunderstandings, not to mention arguments about blocking and whether someone should or shouldn't have blocked someone, all of which cause more blocks. It can get to be a vicious cycle, as the phrase goes.

The reason to keep things as they are is, it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I block myself, will I cease to exist?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kamu
Mexico
Toluca
Estado de México
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:

Just don't tell anybody.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bwridge wrote:
I've noticed a few harsh warnings against people mentioning the names of folks who are on their Hide or block list. WHy such a hardline attitude?

I ask this question out of genuine curiousity as to the raationale for this policy. I'm not asking because I have a long black list of names and feel aggrieved because I can't mention names (I, in fact, don't have any BGGers blocked).

Brian

It's because announcing that results in a 100% chance of derailment of whatever is being discussed. Most times when this is contemplated, the discussion has become somewhat derailed anyway, but if someone says 'well I'm putting you on ignore' the discussion won't ever recover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E D
United States
wilton
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:

only if you're in a forest chopping trees ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A L D A R O N
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
A L D A R O N
badge
----[---->+<]>++.+++++++++++.--------.---.>-[--->+<]>---.---.-.
mb
bwridge wrote:
I've noticed a few harsh warnings against people mentioning the names of folks who are on their Hide or block list. Why such a hardline attitude?

Mentioning names would defeat the whole purpose of blocking, which is to banish the blocked user from your universe.

The beauty of blocking is that it's a fast, simple, friction-free way of vanishing people who diminish your BGG experience without giving them the satisfaction of wasting any more of your time arguing about it or even acknowledging their existence.

Blocked users cease to exist for you. Why would you want to summon them back into existence by naming them?

(Of course, statistics about who gets lots of blocks might useful for admins in a variety of ways, e.g. by calling attention to users who might be offensive or spamming, etc. But they can, presumably, see that without needing anyone to mention it publicly.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:

On a similar note, what happens if you subscribe yourself? ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnnyDollar wrote:
cornjob wrote:

On a similar note, what happens if you subscribe yourself? ninja

I've heard you get hairy palms and then go blind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Sorenson
United States
Springfield
VT: VERMONT
flag msg tools
badge
mb
cornjob wrote:

Did anybody else hear that?

No?

Must have been my imagination.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.