Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alberto Natta
Italy
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmb
What topic says ... forum seems rather deadish since months.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can say with certainty that it is still being worked on, but I have no idea what the release date will be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Pajonk
Czech Republic
Zasova
flag msg tools
Any news would be very welcome. I can't say I am angry though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
DorianGray wrote:
I'm so angry about the lack of activity.

Is this in the process of hitting the printers or what. Come on! The designer really needs to come out and say specifically when he's 100% done with the design and when its in the process of getting printed.

"Angry"?, and in a thread on Here I Stand you're talking about people not pre-ordering the game being "parasites". You've really got to watch your blood pressure Mr Gray...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron Draker
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I too would love to hear more, but I agree this is not an issue to get frustrated over. People should keep in mind that most game designers are doing this on the side and it does not pay well. I seem to recall that Michael has a real job and family to balance. There are plenty of games out there that get pushed out the door half-baked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
DFW
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And some game designers get pulled back into active military service when their reserve units get called up for duty:

Ben Hull

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Commander Harris
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I, for one, was furious when mister Hull left for active military service

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Coelho
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I second the request for some sort of update. After introducing and totally convincing some Euro-freaks of mine that war games are cool with Friedrich and Maria, I've been starved to find a truly innovative and fun strategic war game that didn't require tweezers or repeated annoying studies of charts to play. And since CoH was so good, I'm already sold.

When is this freakin' thing coming out so I can shell out my hard-earned cash!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's me and my other pastime. I perform as John Lennon in several Beatles tribute acts.
mbmbmbmbmb
Cross-posting in case anyone subscribed to this thread didn't see the update I posted on another thread:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4771149#4771149

Hey guys,

I apologize for the protracted radio silence, but the publisher suggested some time ago that I refrain from commenting too much before things are finalized. It's seems that this has left a few of you chomping at the bit which was not my intent. Sturm Europa! will definitely NOT be published by April. As some have speculated, the design is not even finalized. As I mentioned in another BGG thread in October, the entire production schedule got pushed back because of the decision to shorten the playing time. When it was previewed at WBC, the playing time was in excess of 12 hours for 1939-45. Uwe is extremely impressed with my design and innovative game mechanics but has felt all along that the game was trying to appeal to too broad an audience and might be in danger of being another highly regarded but rarely played wargame. Initially I was defensive to his constructive criticism, as most designers would be, but after some soul searching I realized he was right. If this were the 1980's or even 1990's, Sturm Europa! would probably be on store shelves already. But I want to make a game that will get some serious table time which is just not realistic nowadays if it plays in 12+ hours.

There are a two specific elements of the design that I am re-evaluating:

1) I felt strongly that a WWII ETO should be a three player game as this most accurately depicts the political dynamics and victory goals of the major combatants. The problem is that a three player game is a bit of an oddity and practically speaking wargames must have solid two player scenarios. The cards were designed into three seperate decks for the Western Allies, Axis, and Soviets which forces the entire game to operate from a three sided framework. I'm experimenting with a single shared deck which would eliminate this constraint. This would make it much easier to accomodate anywhere from 2-5 players.

2) The combat system reflected my personal bias for dice intensive resolution ala Axis and Allies or block games. I used my favorite block system, EastFront, as a basis but I've tailored it to suit the grand strategic scale versus Columbia's operational level. Right now I'm experimenting with alternatives that will retain the essence of what I want in the combat system but with much speedier resolution. Read Mark Herman's design notes for Washington's War regarding the elimination of battle cards if you want a spot on explanation of what I mean.

When I first mentioned there may be changes to the combat system, a huge thread spawned with all sorts of speculation about the game being dumbed down by the publisher. Some even claimed they wouldn't buy the game if the existing combat system was scrapped. Please be assured that whatever the system looks like upon final release, it will have been chosen because it best fulfills ALL of the following criteria:

a. Creates tension through difficult decision making and some random chance.
b. Yields ONLY historically plausible results.
c. Players will have options to select the style of attack and defense such as assualt, blitz, probe, retreat, reinforce, static defense, or defense in defense.
d. Fast resolution without comprimising any of the above.

On a personal note my second daughter was born last July and literally my hands are full now. Also the economic slowdown has meant that at my real job, I have to work harder for less money than a couple of years ago. The net result is that I have far less time to dedicate to the game design than when I started out in early 2008

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.