Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the resolve board, the order is this:

1) Enemies appear
2) Cards revealed and resolved (in player order)
3) Simultaneous damage from all cannons
4) Enemies move and execute their X/Y/Z action if they reach/pass it.
5) Rockets move and possibly do damage.

Right? I'm especially focusing on 4) and 5). The enemies move FIRST, and then the rockets, right? And the rockets work like this:

When you press C on the lower starboard space (at step 2), turn one of the rockets sideways or something. In step 5, it will advance to the FIRST space on the rocket trajectory.

Any rocket that already was on the first space of the rocket trajectory before step 5, will advance to the second space of the rocket trajectory, and immediately do damage.

Right?

And that damage is calculated TOGETHER with the cannons from step 3, right? It's not that the rockets have to penetrate the shields again, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Hartstein
United States
North Plainfield
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm afraid that's not quite right. It should be:

3. Simultaneous damage from everything which causes damage [cannons fired this round, a rocket currently on the second space in the track, interceptors firing this round]
5. Rockets move.

When you press C in lower blue you place a rocket in the first space on the track. When you get to rockets move, any rocket on the first space moves to the second space. When you get to the compute damage step of the next round [the one in which the rocket is in the second space], it will target a threat and damage it, or vanish uselessly if there's nothing to target.

You're correct that the damage is calculated together with everything else, so the rockets don't have to repenetrate the shields.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If there is a rocket in the final rocket slot, its damage is calculated with 3), so it become extra damage to the closest enemy along with any other cannon damage.

The rockets move step is just that....the rockets move (but don't immediately resolve damage) until the damage is calculated in the next upcoming "calculate damage" step.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You're not testing me, are you?

Here's the order of the resolution round, as taken from my rulebook:

3.1 Threat Appears
3.2 Player Actions
3.3 Compute Damage
3.4 Threat Actions
3.5 Computer Maintenance Check
3.6 Rocket Resolution

Here is quoted text from 3.3:

Quote:
For each threat, add up the strengths of all the weapons that targeted it. Subtract the threat's shield points to get the damage done to the threat.

Rockets are included in the list of weapons immediately prior to this paragraph. Their damage is not resolved separately (so you are correct).

Here is quoted text from 3.6:

Quote:
In the thirteenth turn, just before the ship jumps into hyperspace, players get no actions. However, a rocket fired in the twelfth turn will still be flying toward its target. Compute its damage in this step.

This is a special case. It does not affect the aggregate damage resolution applied in 3.3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Aha. So really, I've been playing 'correctly' (timing-wise), just messed up the order of stuff.

So if I understand correctly, as soon as C is pressed, you place a rocket on space 1 of the rocket trajectory.

After enemies have moved the same turn, the newly fired rocket will then advance to space 2 (the final space) of the rocket trajectory.

Which effectively means, there can't possibly ever be a rocket at the first space of the trajectory, after a turn is finished, right?

The next turn, at the compute damage step, if there is a rocket in space 2 of the rocket trajectory, it's counted.

I think I got it. The reason I was confused is that I figured that the the first time of "rocket move", the newly fired rocket should move to space 1, and the second time to space 2. It felt strange to place it on space 1 and then move it to space 2 during the same turn. It felt like space 1 had no use except as a reminder that "hey, you fired a rocket".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henric Fröberg
Sweden
flag msg tools
Seize the Road
badge
For Captain Hammer!
mbmbmbmbmb
We played it just the way you did until I read the rules again

You're correct, the rockets will always be at the second space of their trajectory when the turn is finished.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Hoffmann
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
It felt like space 1 had no use except as a reminder that "hey, you fired a rocket".

That's pretty much exactly what it's there for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Steynen
Belgium
Wilrijk
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The easy way to remember it during the game is that rockets do damage along with the rest of the guns on the turn after the turn they were fired. (That's also how I explain it to new players.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.